TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Meowstic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,895, Level: 10 Points: 4,895, Level: 10 Points: 4,895, Level: 10

I don't know if this is an eating disorder or stress or depression or all 3 - February 22nd 2016, 02:24 AM

For the last few months I just don't have much of an appetite. I hardly ever feel like eating and when I do eat its a lot less then I used to eat. If I eat too much I feel sick to my stomach and sometimes throw up ( I don't make myself throw up). And a lot of food I used to like seems very unappetizing to me now. The other day I was at my Grandma's house for dinner and my grandma made what used to be my favourite meal and I just didn't feel like eating and later I overheard my grandma talking to my mom about it and she said I was too skinny. I hadn't thought much about it until I heard my grandma talking about this and now I'm wondering if it's a big deal or not. I think I am probably also depressed and I can't tell if the two things are related or separate. Is this something serious and if it is I have no idea what to do. Edit: I've never thought I was skinny or felt like I was even now I'm not so sure I think I'm just average. I don't want my Grandma thinking something's wrong with me or my mom.

Last edited by Meowstic; February 22nd 2016 at 02:45 AM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Points: 31,468, Level: 25 Points: 31,468, Level: 25 Points: 31,468, Level: 25

Re: I don't know if this is an eating disorder or stress or depression or all 3 - February 23rd 2016, 02:32 PM

Hey!

If you don't have much of an appetite, I'd certainly reccommend seeing a doctor to get that checked out! Whilst I'm not a doctor it sounds to me like you're experiencing more of a physical problem- although, if you're depressed, that could certainly be linked, and some people do experience a decrease in appetite with depression.

If you're worried about your mom or grandma thinking there's something wrong with you- talk to them. Reassure them that this is a physical thing and you're experiencing a lack of appetite, and ask if you can see a doctor to get to the bottom of this.

In terms of helping with your depression, aside from talking to people I'd also reccommend keeping a diary. Write down when you're feeling low and write about your appetite. Try to find a link, and see if you have less appetite when you're feeling low, or if it seems unrelated. This might help you work out if depression is affecting your appetite!

I hope that helps a little and good luck!

Laura

Take as long as you need.
Closed Thread