TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxjazzheartsden Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jazz

Points: 9,732, Level: 14 Points: 9,732, Level: 14 Points: 9,732, Level: 14

Unhappy eating disorder - February 6th 2010, 09:21 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi,I've been having trouble trying to not fall into the trap of an eating disorder. alot of the time time i'll be starving myself, or even purging, but then i'll force myself to try and stop but i still get this horrible anxious feeling so i fall back into it again.
Is an ed still treated the same if it's more for sh reasons? Because originally it was just to control my sh but then I turned out doing both now.

Also it's hard because I have a friend who's recovering from an ed, so I don't really have anyone to talk to cos they'll just send me off to a shrink like they did for her. :s

also i'm just wondering if an ed counts as one of the things the psych has to tell your parents even if you haven't lost much weight?

So you got ahead of me
And I guess I'm still dragging behind.

Looking skinny like a model, with your eyes all painted black.

We might die from medication but we sure killed all the pain

I want out from under this confining skin that I so reluctantly live in

And I can tell where you had been
from the marks around your wrists
The red water washed around your sins
but are you as pure as this?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Points: 25,720, Level: 23 Points: 25,720, Level: 23 Points: 25,720, Level: 23

Re: eating disorder - February 7th 2010, 01:16 AM

Jazz,

I'm not sure if a psych has to tell your parents about eating disorders or not, you'd have to ask the therapists what they have to tell and what they don't.

Restricting for any reason is not good, even if it is to help stop self harming. Do you see a therapist, or could you talk to your school counselor? Since it was for sh reasons, you may need to work at the reasons that make you harm yourself first. The best way to not fall into an eating disorder, is to start trying to eat healthily, six small meals a day. Start small, baby steps, and just try to make sure you eat a few times a day.

Have you tried any alternatives to self harm? They can also help with the restricting and the purging.

If you need anything, feel free to pm me.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20 Points: 20,432, Level: 20

Re: eating disorder - February 7th 2010, 02:29 AM

Hey Jazz,

The truth is, you need help regardless of WHY you're using ED behaviors. Now, that being said, of course it's important to figure out why, and get to the bottom of the issues. But, in all honesty, a behavior is a behavior is a behavior. No matter WHAT behavior you're doing, the point is, you're doing it for a reason. And that's what a therapist would help you figure out.

Each therapist tends to have their own rules for under what conditions they will/will not keep your struggles in confidence. So, that's something to find out about. But either way, please try not to let that stop you from getting help--it's worth it to reach out, and get the help to stop using ED and SH behaviors.

Do your best to stay in the moment and keep breathing--use any healthy alternative you can think of. You can do this!

<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Closed Thread