TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Anne

Points: 10,328, Level: 14 Points: 10,328, Level: 14 Points: 10,328, Level: 14

Declaration of INDEPENDENCE from my eating disorder - May 18th 2011, 12:20 AM

A type of therapy suggested in Life Without ED by Jenni Schaefer.

DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE (based on the U.S.'s)

When in the course of her lifetime, it becomes necessary for one woman, Anne, to break the ties between her and Ed, and to assume absolute and steadfast control of her life, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and God entitle her, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that she should declare the causes which impel her to the separation.

Anne holds these truths to be self-evident, that everyone is endowed with unalienable rights and among these are life, liberty, respect, and the pursuit of happiness. That whenever Ed becomes destructive and controlling of these ends, it is Anne’s right to eliminate Ed, to alter her life, and to institute recovery, laying the foundation of her life on such principles and organizing her powers in her own way, so that she may achieve safety and happiness. The history of Ed is a history of repeated injuries and insults, all having taken away the rights stated above from Anne. To prove this, let facts be submitted:

-Ed has cut off all emotions.
-Ed has damaged Anne’s health and sense of self.
-Ed has deprived Anne of food and comfort.
-Ed has erected feelings of hatred, vulnerability, and worthlessness.
-Ed has hidden the truth from Anne by telling her that she was not good enough.
-Ed has refused Anne of self-love, confidence, and self-approval.
-Ed has silenced Anne’s cries of unhappiness and caused her to suffer in silence, often deserting her when she was at her worst.
-Ed has taken Anne’s morals, changed them, and made her act against them.
-Ed has united with perfectionism to make Anne strive to ridiculously high standards, standards that are unattainable.

Anne, therefore, solemnly publishes and declares that she is free and independent; that she has been absolved of all allegiance to Ed, that all connection between Anne and Ed will be dissolved, and that as a free and independent individual, she has full power to eat, live in peace, express her feelings, and use the rights of life, liberty, respect, and the pursuit of happiness as she pleases.

If you want to write your name in support, I will add it to the bottom of my printed out copy. Just let me know (comments can also be added.)

"Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel like you're less than, less than perfect. Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like your nothing, you are perfect to me."
-Pink (Perfect)
"Because you are precious in my eyes and glorious, and because I love you, I give men in return for you and peoples in exchange for your life." -Isaiah 43:4

Last edited by xx_fallenangel_xx; May 18th 2011 at 12:52 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
letgoslowly Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Di

Points: 9,847, Level: 14 Points: 9,847, Level: 14 Points: 9,847, Level: 14

Re: Declaration of INDEPENDENCE from my eating disorder - May 18th 2011, 03:04 AM

I'm glad that you are on your way to recovery, and have realized that ED won't help! congrats on this change<3! and btw, this was really well written!! sounded very constitutional(: and sounds like you're ready to leave ED behind. I wish you well, and if you ever need to talk PM me

I'm burning out like a bright light, I wasn't ready for this. You're adorable as hell, but I'm glancing at your wrist.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Points: 17,077, Level: 19 Points: 17,077, Level: 19 Points: 17,077, Level: 19

Re: Declaration of INDEPENDENCE from my eating disorder - May 18th 2011, 03:06 AM

This is great! I never would have thought of this. You can definately add my name.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Declaration of INDEPENDENCE from my eating disorder - May 18th 2011, 03:14 AM

See? I knew you were strong. I'm so glad that you are beating this.
Awesome job! Keep it up<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Declaration of INDEPENDENCE from my eating disorder - May 18th 2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassygurlone View Post
This is great! I never would have thought of this. You can definately add my name.
Thanks so much for the support. Anne xx

"Pretty, pretty please, don't you ever, ever feel like you're less than, less than perfect. Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like your nothing, you are perfect to me."
-Pink (Perfect)
"Because you are precious in my eyes and glorious, and because I love you, I give men in return for you and peoples in exchange for your life." -Isaiah 43:4
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Points: 40,491, Level: 28 Points: 40,491, Level: 28 Points: 40,491, Level: 28

Re: Declaration of INDEPENDENCE from my eating disorder - May 19th 2011, 05:50 PM

This is great.
Stay strong hun.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Points: 26,931, Level: 23 Points: 26,931, Level: 23 Points: 26,931, Level: 23

Re: Declaration of INDEPENDENCE from my eating disorder - May 19th 2011, 08:40 PM

This is great my dear! Utterly fantastic <3

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Declaration of INDEPENDENCE from my eating disorder - May 20th 2011, 09:26 AM

thanks everyone. I cannot even tell you how much it means to me that you are all supportive and liked my declaration.

-Pink (Perfect)
Closed Thread