TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kasnec Offline
Escaping the mothership
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,829, Level: 12 Points: 6,829, Level: 12 Points: 6,829, Level: 12

Effective medication - July 17th 2013, 01:55 PM

I'm not sure if this is allowed, so Ill apologize in advance if it isn't - but I was wondering if I could find out more of everyone else's experiences with medication?

I've tried Lexapro (escalitopram oxalate) which was useless and didn't help with the weight gain. I've also tried Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) which is great for anxiety but not so much for depression, Topirimate which works to relax me but slows your thought processes a little too much, and Bubpropion, which works for depression but not the anxiety. Overall none of them have been particularly effective, and see, to be getting less so.

I've booked an appointment with a psych to see if we might find a solution, but I was wondering how everyone else found theirs? Your opinion of treatment with medication in general?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Effective medication - July 17th 2013, 02:06 PM

The medication I'm in I find to be very useful as it's a sedative which helps me battle my unending insomnia. I did do a little personal dosage altering and cut back on half of my stated dose because otherwise it makes me feel stunned in the morning as I take then at night. So far it's worked very well in helping me with my insomnia and my depression. Less racing thoughts, less irritability, less insomnia and a much more cheerful me.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Effective medication - July 17th 2013, 02:40 PM

Finding the right medication or combination of medicines can be hard. There are some people who find the right medicine on their first visit to the doctor (maybe altering the amount a bit etc) and then there are other people who have to keep going back and altering the dosage and adding more medicines to the mix.

I have been trying to find the right combination of medicines for quite some time now and my doctor and I still haven't got it quite right. I've found a combination that seems to be working decently for my depression (If I had to rate it I would give it a 6.8 or so) but I am bi-polar and so I am still struggling with manic episodes. I have a feeling my doctor is going to have to add another medicine to the mix but we are taking it slow as it should be.

The fact is that it is a process to find medication that works and you have to be patient. I know from personal experience that it is a pain but the outcome is worth it because medicine can really help balance your moods and help you get to a more stable place.

The key to finding the right medication is communicating with your doctor. Be honest about how the medicines are working. Has your depression worsened? Has it gotten a bit better? Did you notice more anxiety? I found that keeping a journal of my moods can help me with this because then when I go to my psychiatrist I am prepared to tell him what is going right and what isn't.

I hope this helped and wishing you the best of luck.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: Effective medication - July 17th 2013, 02:50 PM

I currently take only Effexor (venlafaxine), though I've tried bupropion, Lexapro and a few others. It seems to help with both depression and anxiety, though honestly it's pretty similar to Pristiq. You could always combine the Pristiq with bupropion if that takes care of both symptoms. Your doctor may recommend an "off-label" treatment such as a mood stabilizer (lamotrigine, topiramate, etc.) or an anti-psychotic (Seroquel, Abilify, etc.) in addition to an antidepressant. Tbh I wouldn't recommend either, just from personal experience and the side effect profiles of these drugs.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kasnec Offline
Escaping the mothership
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,829, Level: 12 Points: 6,829, Level: 12 Points: 6,829, Level: 12

Re: Effective medication - July 18th 2013, 06:24 AM

Thanks all for the recommendations!

Think I will go ahead and start a mood journal. I haven't bothered with one before, but keep a really close eye on things (ie diet/sleep/dosages/potential other triggers) will no doubt help to sort out what works and what doesn't.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Effective medication - July 18th 2013, 10:16 AM

Hey there,

I just want to remind you guys that any medication that is given by doctors should only be taken if doctors prescribe it. Please be safe with this sort of thing as nobody here is a professional and dosages and medication differ depending on the person.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
Closed Thread