TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26

How to be "healthy" - December 4th 2020, 08:12 PM

[SIZE="a"]Triggering: ED

I am in a tough position. I need to lose weight. I am considered morbidly obese and I found out recently my pre-diabetes may have turned into actual Diabetes (still waiting on lab results). The problem is that I just don't know how to lose weight healthily. I have a history of disordered eating behaviors, primarily restricting and overexercising, with some purging (not bingeing though). Every. Single. Time. I try to lose weight my ED comes out in full force. I just can't manage self-control; I feel like I have to push myself until I'm unhealthy and at risk for health complications.

So I don't know what to do. I don't have very good insurance and they won't cover a dietician, and out of pocket each visit those add up to hundreds of dollars. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I really need help with this one.[/size]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: How to be "healthy" - December 6th 2020, 12:44 PM

I think it can be helpful to consider being 'healthy' as more of a lifestyle, as opposed to exercising and dieting to lose weight. For example, choosing to take the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator (if reasonable), choosing to walk than using transport or getting off the stop before to walk the rest of the journey (if possible). Or choosing to shop in store rather than online. Or if you tend to spend a lot of time sat down, try standing up and walking about it a bit. All these little actions can help you to become and maintain a healthy weight over the long term. While it can be helpful to eliminate snacks when dieting, in the long term, opt for healthier alternatives, such as fruit instead.

Ideally, for losing weight you should talk to your doctor, given that you are classed as morbidly obese. Adding in too much exercise could give rise to serious complications. This article by the American Heart Society suggests adding in physical activity, once you have lost 10% of your weight loss goal by changing your diet first. For an overview of treating obesity with a healthy diet and exercise, you can check out this article by the NHS.

Unfortunately, I can see how changing your diet and trying to keep track of calories can push you into disordered eating patterns. Is it possible to get family/friends involved? Maybe they can keep track of calories for you for a while to help prevent you relapsing into ED? For example, let them measure your weight and not tell you so that you can't focus too much on your weight loss or have them check in on you or do other things that aren't related to weight/eating so that you have less chance of being able to over exercise? It might help a bit if others know that you are trying to be healthier but also are concerned about slipping back into ED.

Hope others can provide further advice to you too!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How to be "healthy" - December 7th 2020, 01:20 PM

I was obese and lost a lot of weight the healthy way within the last two years or so, and I also have a history of binge eating and restricting. Unfortunately, what got me in the mindset to lose weight was an upsetting event and I started losing as a form of self-hatred before it became healthy.

I do think it helps, as Holly mentioned, to try to see it as a lifestyle. Emotions are often tied to food and while I still struggle with it, I try to practice mindfulness and pay attention to what my body is telling me. Looking at food as a source of energy for my body, like fuel for a car, has helped. I enjoy science so knowing the scientific part of what my body does with the food helps too.

Everyone is so different when it comes to their journey but for me, I never wanted to give up my favorite things and I never did. I struggled a lot before because of that. I like certain fast food places, so when I go I get a smaller meal or split the meal with someone else. I never gave up that or anything else I loved to do, I just made the proportions healthier.

Losing weight and changing your lifestyle can be overwhelming so I also suggest slowly doing it over time. Trying to do too much at once can be challenging and discouraging. For instance, I worked on my food and lost the majority of my weight with food intake. Following this, I added exercise in. This gave me time to become familiar and comfortable with my food habits before adding something else in there.

Let us know if you want to talk some more. You can message me anytime if you'd like to.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: How to be "healthy" - December 8th 2020, 06:02 AM

Hi there,

As Holly and cynefin. mentioned, the best thing to do is to exercise and eat healthy. Maybe speaking to your doctor and dietitian might help and they will be able to give you the best advice on how to achieve what you like. It can be hard, but you'll be able to do it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
rosemiller Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 748, Level: 4 Points: 748, Level: 4 Points: 748, Level: 4

Re: How to be "healthy" - February 9th 2021, 11:41 AM

Well, everybody says to be healthy means you should lead a healthy lifestyle like avoid sugar, don't eat meat, avoid stress, do sport and etc. But what to do when you really love a chocolate cake, you want be skinny but you can't win your laziness?
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
dandycasper78 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 148, Level: 1 Points: 148, Level: 1 Points: 148, Level: 1

Re: How to be "healthy" - December 23rd 2021, 01:53 PM

it all sounds simple on one side. nutrition greatly affects how you live (how much and when you sleep), how much you move. in second place are genetic factors. an easy article that reveals this issue as clearly as possible
Closed Thread