TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ladoglover Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Points: 6,485, Level: 11 Points: 6,485, Level: 11 Points: 6,485, Level: 11

Medication opinions. - December 20th 2020, 02:07 AM

Hey has any one taken lithium with Vyvanse before? Are they prescribed together? Is it safe? I am wondering because lithium decreases dopamine while Vyvanse increases it. So then how could you take a stimulant with a mood stabilizer or antipsychotic then? Has any one? Its kind of like taking an upper and a downer , which can't that really mess up your brain?

Has any one taken Buspar with Vyvanse and lithium all at once?

I heard Lithium is a great medication and has made people feel very calm and overall just an amazing drug.
I am worried about the known kidney, liver, and thyroid problem it can cause though. I was just wondering if some one wanted to take lithium and was not bipolar therefore they would only stay on the lowest does only.

In your opinion would the lowest does lithium be less likely to cause, kidney, liver , and thyroid issues? Lithium is highly known to cause hypothyroidism.

What about the vitamin Lithium orotate which they say is similar to the drug lithium, has any one tried to vitamin lithium orotate? Do you think it would be a safer option? My opinion is it would be a safer option and if clinical trials have showed that it can help just as the drug lithium can then why not take the safer natural vitamin then instead of the drug.

"Clinical trials involving 150 mg daily doses of lithium orotate administered 4 to 5 times a week, showed a reduction of manic and depressive symptoms in bipolar patients (Lakhan, S. E., & Vieira, K. F. (2008). Nutritional therapies for mental disorders. Nutrition journal, 7, 2. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-7-2)."

Disclaimer: Any thing said in this post is not about another person. The situations are made up and all examples are made up. While the made up examples and situations may feel like they are similar to your story, about something your going through and so on does not mean its automatically about you. Similarities are common but nothing said should be taken as directed at any one as these are made up fake scenarios and in no way directed at any one or about any one or about any ones situation.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Medication opinions. - December 20th 2020, 06:38 AM

According to the COC we are not able to give medical advice. This is something you will need to talk to a psychiatrist about. We are unable to replace medical doctors or therapists because we are all just volunteers. It would be unethical and dangerous for anyone to answer this question because we do not have the knowledge. Unless, there is someone on the site who has the same medication combo. I would not know though because I don't pay enough attention to the medication combos people are on.

I would highly suggest that you speak to or get scheduled with a psychiatrist so you can go over this and determine if this combination might be right for you.

Best regards.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Medication opinions. - December 20th 2020, 10:15 PM

That’s not how lithium works. Lithium is an ion and is thought to affect the ion channels in neurons and altering their excitability. It isn’t a dopamine antagonist like antipsychotics.

I haven’t taken lithium, but I have heard of the otc/non-prescription lithium supplement(it isn’t a vitamin- you don’t need it) you are talking about. It isn’t a good idea for a few reasons. Lithium is powerful and can be dangerous (regardless of the source the lithium). They monitor patients on it for a reason. Your doctor should know you are taking lithium.

If you are on by Vyvanse then you should just ask the doctor to prescribe a mood stabilizer that won’t interfere with it.

Sometimes stuff is put on sale just because it sounds legit enough to be marketable and is technically legal- not because it is nutritional or that you should take it.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; December 20th 2020 at 10:32 PM.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ladoglover Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Re: Medication opinions. - December 20th 2020, 10:16 PM

Thanks. that was helpful
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Medication opinions. - December 21st 2020, 12:45 AM

In addition to what others have said- your doctor and psychiatrist are the absolute best people to talk to about prescription combos. They know your health history, and can make professional and educated recommendations. Plus, how the meds work for some people may have the opposite effect on you, which is why we can’t give you medical advice. It is dangerous. Hearing others’ experiences can be helpful, but not to base things off of. You and your team of people can make an appropriate care plan for you

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ladoglover Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Re: Medication opinions. - December 21st 2020, 02:10 AM

alright. I just do not want to say too much because then they assume that your having problems or some type of symptom if your asking about a drug and then that opens a whole can of worms. Then they start assuming if your asking for it you must need that type of psychiatric drug then they push to have you on it because you told them your symptoms of why you want to be on it which then they assume a mental disorder so quickly based off the symptoms you told them. Which assuming and jumping to a mental disorder so quickly is not okay. Mental disorders are complex some more than others and multiple mental disorders can have some similar or same symptoms as others therefore they should really do a thorough analyzing before saying some one has a mental disorder.

I do not want to get in to that. I have an idea on what I might do. Thanks though every one.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42

Re: Medication opinions. - December 21st 2020, 05:59 AM

Hi there,

I agree with speaking to your doctor or mental health professional as they will be the best people to speak to about it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Allyson Wood Offline
Average Joe

Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10 Points: 5,350, Level: 10

Re: Medication opinions. - December 24th 2020, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
According to the COC we are not able to give medical advice. This is something you will need to talk to a psychiatrist about. We are unable to replace medical doctors or therapists because we are all just volunteers. It would be unethical and dangerous for anyone to answer this question because we do not have the knowledge. Unless, there is someone on the site who has the same medication combo. I would not know though because I don't pay enough attention to the medication combos people are on.

I would highly suggest that you speak to or get scheduled with a psychiatrist so you can go over this and determine if this combination might be right for you.

Best regards.
I agree with this one. You need to consult your own psychiatrist as they know what to do about your problem.
Closed Thread