TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Allergy testing - May 13th 2021, 12:26 AM

Has anyone here gone for allergy testing? I think I'm getting it next week. They said not to take my antihistamines starting two days before the testing and also to not take the blood pressure medication I use to prevent migraines/calm my anxiety and tachycardia the day of my appointment.

What is allergy testing like? Is it the scratch test? Does it hurt?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 107,364, Level: 46 Points: 107,364, Level: 46 Points: 107,364, Level: 46

Re: Allergy testing - May 13th 2021, 01:41 PM

Hi Dez,

For the allergy testing, I have this two articles on how it works and what happens, the first one is, https://www.thermofisher.com/diagnos...xoCBOkQAvD_BwE and the second one is, http://www.londonallergy.com/do-allergy-tests-hurt/ When you have time if you would like to look at this and hopefully it is helpful for you. I'm sorry that you have to do this, try to be calm when you go. Maybe have a friend or family member with you so that you are not scared. I have never done this before, one of my friends did when she was 8 and said it was ok, didn't hurt much. I wish you the best with this and hope that you will be okay soon. Sending you hugs to help.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,485, Level: 33 Points: 55,485, Level: 33 Points: 55,485, Level: 33

Re: Allergy testing - May 13th 2021, 03:34 PM

Dear Dez,
it will probably be a scratch test if you're going to be tested for pollen, dust, food allergies etc. The nurse pricks your skin (usually forearm) with disposable needles and puts a drop of different liquids, each containing an allergen, on the pricked skin. You'll feel it but it doesn't really hurt - and they use a very tiny needle. Then you'll be asked to wait 15-30 mins in order to force an allergic reaction on your skin. After the wait they will check the skin - if there's any reaction (rashness, itching, blisters etc.) they will mark it on a special sheet with a list of all the allergens you're being tested for and later hand it to you. The reactions are not pleasant, but it's also nothing that hurts - only itches at most.
If you'll be tested for any chemical allergies (e.g. metals) they won't even puncture your skin - you will only have a few special plasters put on (usually on the back) and asked to come twice (usually within 3-5 days) for examination.
Both are, in my opinion, totally bearable experiences. I'm sure you'll do great - no need to worry!
Love,
S

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Allergy testing - May 13th 2021, 07:02 PM

I had mine several years ago, and it was similar to the way Sue explained it. They tested me for general stuff especially animals (different types of animal fur and dander) It's truly amazing how they work. I would honestly love to get it done again now that I'm older and am able to comprehend the results.

My recommendation is bring an antihistamine with you so you can take it after you're done, your arm WILL be itchy afterwards. Try not to scratch too much.

Let us know how it goes!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Re: Allergy testing - May 15th 2021, 09:05 PM

Hey, as a child I had allergy testing and I don't really like remember to much about it, other than they put known or common allergens on my skin, I think it was the enzymes in the allergens or something similar and labelled them it was a very long time ago I just remember having allergy testing done and coming out with allergies to barley etc, I can't remember if it hurt but I remember my mum telling me a few years ago that they knew what I was allergic to as the allergens they tested on me caused a rash or something like that. It's nothing to be scared of, I'm allergic and intolerant to quite a few things, most of mine just cause my to have an excezma flare up or gives me IBS like symptoms, the only one that I'm highly allergic to is penicillin and quorn, they both cause rashes and make me vomit.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Allergy testing - May 20th 2021, 08:27 PM

After doing both the scratch test and the test with subdermal injections, I’m only allergic to cats, cockroaches, and dust mites. :/ Back to square one with finding out what’s wrong with my ears.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread