TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bethany

Points: 9,624, Level: 14 Points: 9,624, Level: 14 Points: 9,624, Level: 14

Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 18th 2011, 01:54 AM

So for about 6 months I was on a vegetarian diet and I consulted my doctor about it and he said it was a good idea to try it, so after six months I got off of it.. I went for a routine check up the other day and I gained some weight and I was having digestive problems, I also got some blood work in and they weren't as good as they use to be when I was on a vegetarian diet, so he suggested I get back on it and stay on it, which I am fine with because I HATE meat I don't like the texture or anything the way it taste, and I kinda feel bad for the wittle animals. The only reason I got off in the first place was because I live in Louisiana and most things we cook down here has meat in it, and it ranges from various animals, lol... So it just wasn't easy to avoid I could barely go to a friends house and eat, I could eat nothing my parents cooked, and it was just a mess I was always complaining... But the doctor said it would be best and it would help regulate my digestive system, with all that fiber and that he was gonna suggest some supplements, I am okay with this idea just what are somethings I can eat to make this interesting without giving up good food

"Have no fear for giving in, Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 18th 2011, 03:16 AM

I don't know what is available in Louisiana but you could try portabello mushrooms (large mushrooms) with balsamic vinegar or just red wine, then toss it on the grill. If you like garlic, put garlic on it. However you cook it, make sure the gills are facing upward. They have a wonderful taste and are very juicy and can be eaten whole or you can even slice them up and put them in a salad or whatever else. It's common in Italy so you can make an Italian-like meal and toss them in.

Another thing you could try is "fake meat" made of soybean. It tastes somewhat like meat but is purely vegetarian and the texture differs from that of meat, so you may like it if you haven't already tried it. I'm sure you've already tried tofu.

You can also try some Japanese foods using vegetables, such as sushi and inarizushi (amazing stuff). If you eat fish and shellfish, you can make different types of sushi. You can also try various tempura-battered foods, in my opinion, batter anything in tempura and it's amazing. I'm also a fan of udon noodles, often bought in supermarkets and it takes just a few minutes to cook. I'm not sure if it's available in Louisiana but bean sprouts with black beans, green onions, white onions, possibly some celery and a few spices makes a wonderful dish. Again, I don't know what's in Louisiana but if you can get your hands on a good wok, then you can make unbelievable things.

If you like potatoes, try making vichyssoise. It's a traditional French potato-leek-cream-stock soup all blended up. It's pretty thick so it's quite filling. Whenever I make vichyssoise, I cook enough to serve an army so we have soup for at least two days.

Since Louisiana has lots of spicy foods, you can make pepper soups using chili peppers and jalapeno peppers, along with some celery, vegetable stock, rice, beans and whatever else. If you want or can intentionally burn the outside skin of the pepper in order for it to be peeled off so you're left with just the soft pepper, minus the skin and the white bitter stuff on the inside.

If you have a particular style you like or general idea, then I may be able to help some more.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 18th 2011, 03:40 AM

we have a lot of that available in Louisiana and any vegetable you can think of so this should be interesting thanks

You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

Last edited by BethanyAnn; June 18th 2011 at 03:55 AM.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,405, Level: 15 Points: 11,405, Level: 15 Points: 11,405, Level: 15

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 19th 2011, 01:48 PM

While a sensible omnivorous diet is healthier than a "sensible" vegetarian diet, a "sensible" vegetarian diet is healthier than a crappy omnivorous diet. I get the feeling that in going from what was likely a highly restrictive vegetarian diet to a less limited diet where you ate what you wanted which happened to include meat, you started eating more and eating poorly in general and have falsely attributed this to meat consumption. Your doctor is a quack if he thinks you need to be a vegetarian to get adequate fiber intake.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 20th 2011, 12:58 AM

haha no you are totally misunderstanding this I have IBS Irritable bowel syndrome and it is just simply hard for my body to process all of that and some meat make me sooo bloated it was crazy and I was always constipated.. but when I was on a vegie diet everything was regular and normal no constipation and no bloating and my blood work was really good... I DO NOT eat bad food or any processed food... simply because it messes me up and I get really sick.. so I went back to my doctor and I told him everything and he just said maybe I should just go back to vegies it seems to work for me.. Failed to mention I have eczema and I use a steroid cream for it but taking all that stuff like meat out my diet really helped it I don't have a problem with this and my doctor is a VERY good doctor he has been my doctor for a LONG time and I have never had a problem with him... When I got off the vegie diet the first time he told me he was gonna write out a diet plan and I am not saying my [EDIT] weight gain is solely from meat.. I haven't gained much I just don't like the way I feel at all.... I do not have a issue with this vegie thing at all and peoples bodies react differently to certain food... My body just doesn't like meat or processed foods at all doesn't by anymeans make my doctor some "quack" and that is very disrespectful especially when you do not know this guy or me.. I simply asked what food I could eat.. Now if you wanna go into all this detail about my medical history and the ins and outs then we can talk in private... If I wanted a second opinion or to know if this was right then I would have put my business out there, Or better yet I would have made a different appointment with a different doctor. But because I trust this so called "quack" I just wanted to know some things I can eat that would be good and if you read what I wrote you would also see that I DISLIKE meat simply because of the texture so I guess this all worked out well... Please do not judge my doctor til' you have his credentials and my medical records and your own degree in the medical filed

Last edited by Gingerbread Latte; June 20th 2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Please don't post weight numbers
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 20th 2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyAnn View Post
haha no you are totally misunderstanding this I have IBS Irritable bowel syndrome and it is just simply hard for my body to process all of that and some meat make me sooo bloated it was crazy and I was always constipated.. but when I was on a vegie diet everything was regular and normal no constipation and no bloating and my blood work was really good... I DO NOT eat bad food or any processed food... simply because it messes me up and I get really sick.. so I went back to my doctor and I told him everything and he just said maybe I should just go back to vegies it seems to work for me.. Failed to mention I have eczema and I use a steroid cream for it but taking all that stuff like meat out my diet really helped it I don't have a problem with this and my doctor is a VERY good doctor he has been my doctor for a LONG time and I have never had a problem with him... When I got off the vegie diet the first time he told me he was gonna write out a diet plan and I am not saying my [EDIT] weight gain is solely from meat.. I haven't gained much I just don't like the way I feel at all.... I do not have a issue with this vegie thing at all and peoples bodies react differently to certain food... My body just doesn't like meat or processed foods at all doesn't by anymeans make my doctor some "quack" and that is very disrespectful especially when you do not know this guy or me.. I simply asked what food I could eat.. Now if you wanna go into all this detail about my medical history and the ins and outs then we can talk in private... If I wanted a second opinion or to know if this was right then I would have put my business out there, Or better yet I would have made a different appointment with a different doctor. But because I trust this so called "quack" I just wanted to know some things I can eat that would be good and if you read what I wrote you would also see that I DISLIKE meat simply because of the texture so I guess this all worked out well... Please do not judge my doctor til' you have his credentials and my medical records and your own degree in the medical filed
By the way since you have some medical degree or what not some meats do make you gain weight

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 20th 2011, 01:05 AM

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that affects the large intestine (colon). Irritable bowel syndrome commonly causes cramping, abdominal pain, bloating gas, diarrhea and constipation. Despite these uncomfortable signs and symptoms, IBS doesn't cause permanent damage to your colon.

Most people with IBS find that symptoms improve as they learn to control their condition. Only a small number of people with irritable bowel syndrome have severe signs and symptoms.

Fortunately, unlike more-serious intestinal diseases such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome doesn't cause inflammation or changes in bowel tissue or increase your risk of colorectal cancer. In many cases, you can control irritable bowel syndrome by managing your diet, lifestyle and stress.

In my case it helps me to control my symptoms by vegies and not eating meat which causes my cramping and bloating and another thing I DO NOT eat CHEESE... S my doctor isn't some "quack" I think he knows his patients well enough to know what works for them thats a good doctor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,405, Level: 15 Points: 11,405, Level: 15 Points: 11,405, Level: 15

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 20th 2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Don't get angry at me just because you gave me limited information and I was forced to make assumptions as a result. What's more, eating crappy food isn't necessarily limited to processed pre-packaged stuff, and I'd need to see your diet in more detail before I was to completely conclude that you're not confusing the effects of meat with the effects of other things you ate along with meat.

Quote:
By the way since you have some medical degree or what not some meats do make you gain weight
A calorie surplus makes you gain weight. Beyond this some vague notion of "meat makes you fat" doesn't enter into it. Yes some cuts of meat can be fatty, but I'd still rather see someone eating a somewhat fatty piece of steak than pasta if they wanted to lose weight.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 20th 2011, 04:53 AM

Maybe you should go look at my thread again I asked WHAT ARE SOME FOODS I CAN EAT THAT ARE GOOD... like i said if i wanted all that unneeded information from anyone I would have giving my back ground and all my diet information... Now yes meat is contributing to my weight gain cause if you didn't know when you are constipated all that stuff sits in your stomach and won't digest and all those toxins go back into your colon and it can really mess it up and cause unwanted weight... What I mean by processed is that I dont eat sweets or anything packaged I am very healthy minus my digestive problems I run track, Iam in the school marching band and I play softball I am not unhealthy Just my doctor and I need to find a healthy plan so that my body can function normally under my circumstances of IBS ... Now all I asked was what are some good foods, I DID NOT ask for all of this I am okay with the no meat thing doesn't phase me on bit and even if my doctor didn't suggest it I was gonna get back on it anyways.. It helps me its a diet my body can take and can properly dispose of without constant issues not if you want to get further into this you can private message me... And you seem to beat around the bush alot I directly called you on on many things and you ignored them which shows you are clearly in the wrong here

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 20th 2011, 04:57 AM

I can take in [EDIT] calories a day and burn them in my activities I run 4 miles a day and one at night...My athletic trainer at school recommend [EDIT] a day cause thats what I burn its has nothing to do with my calories it has to do with my retaining stuff which isnt healthy I had to have a colonoscopy done and I am only 17

Last edited by Gingerbread Latte; June 21st 2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Please don't post calorie figures
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 21st 2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
I just find it hilarious you quote yourself in order to respond to Frosty.

All silliness aside, you two can bicker all day long, I don't give a rat's ass because it gets nowhere. Whether your doctor is a "quack" or not doesn't concern me, I don't care because it's irrelevant at the present moment.

However, Frosty mentioned something important: can you provide a sample of your diet? You mentioned [EDIT] calories and such but it's difficult to suggest possible dietary changes or meal suggestions without knowing, in detail, how your current diet is. These general pieces of information, such as not eating cheese, don't like meat and only want vegetables, are not useful for better suggestions. Do you eat eggs? Do you eat fish? In this diet sample, can you also mention the fluids you drink and what they are?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Last edited by Gingerbread Latte; June 21st 2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Reference to calorie figures.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 21st 2011, 02:33 PM

Let me remind everyone that users are just trying to help. If they've made a wrong assumption or given you advice you dislike then you don't have to take the advice that they've given.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Doctor Suggest Vegetarian diet - June 21st 2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
I just find it hilarious you quote yourself in order to respond to Frosty.

All silliness aside, you two can bicker all day long, I don't give a rat's ass because it gets nowhere. Whether your doctor is a "quack" or not doesn't concern me, I don't care because it's irrelevant at the present moment.

However, Frosty mentioned something important: can you provide a sample of your diet? You mentioned [EDIT] calories and such but it's difficult to suggest possible dietary changes or meal suggestions without knowing, in detail, how your current diet is. These general pieces of information, such as not eating cheese, don't like meat and only want vegetables, are not useful for better suggestions. Do you eat eggs? Do you eat fish? In this diet sample, can you also mention the fluids you drink and what they are?
I do eat eggs but not often, and I eat fish, and I drink 64+ oz of water and maybe a glass of juice

Breakfast: Oatmeal, with a fruit, maybe low fat yogurt with a plain bagel, or dry cereal with a banana.. With what ever I eat in the morning I have juice or a glass of water, I take a fish oil and off to work

on the way to work I have a 16 oz water

inbetween breakfast and lunch I have a fruit or something small or a cut up tomato or a hand full of grapes all depends on whats available and once again I drink another water usually on my 3 one by this time or almost on my 3rd

Lunch: all really depends I can have a sandwhich with something such as ham or roast beef and I usually put lettuce, tomato, pickles, and a tiny bit of mayo if that I really dont like mayo that much and maybe a bag of chips... Or I can simply have a salade with vinaigrette dressing. and a water

in between lunch and dinner I have things such as peanuts roasted, Brazilian nuts, trail mix, or a nutri-grain bar, or the garlic thin wheat, orange it really once again depends but I have two small snacks between lunch and dinner and usually more water

Dinner it all varies on whatever my mom cooks I do not control that situation and thats where all the weight gain comes from but I have more water with whatever I eat

thats my basic diet, that dose not include if I go eat out with friends which is once a month but once again it all varies, but this is a regular day for me

Closed Thread