TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jacketh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,719, Level: 12 Points: 7,719, Level: 12 Points: 7,719, Level: 12

Is it me or the doctor.. - March 15th 2012, 06:01 PM

I'm 15. I'm suffering from the following

- Twitching and shaking, had it for a while in my hands and all over my body. Sometimes the twitching is worse than other days.

- Severe pain in legs after exercise. This happens constantly, I cannot walk 1 mile without coming home that night and be in pain in my knees, calf and groin area..

- My knees crack all the time, everytime I bend them.

- I cannot lift my legs in the air when sat down (straightening them out) and I cannot stretch my arms without them ''shaking'' - The shaking I believe is due to weakness of my arms and legs, I physically find it hard to do it.

I am really affected by this. I went to the doctor and she told me it was growing pains, if its the case, its the worse growing pains ever. I've had a ''routine'' blood test which tested my kidneys etc. That came back okay.

I've had this since Christmas now, I cannot exercise and I'm in pain everyday.. My god.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
fix a heart Offline
hunger games fanatic
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Daniela

Points: 7,636, Level: 12 Points: 7,636, Level: 12 Points: 7,636, Level: 12

Smile Re: Is it me or the doctor.. - March 15th 2012, 07:20 PM

im sorry to hear about that if u ever need to talk just hit me up
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
leavemealone Offline
I Still Miss You <3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raewyn

Points: 10,040, Level: 14 Points: 10,040, Level: 14 Points: 10,040, Level: 14

Re: Is it me or the doctor.. - March 15th 2012, 08:33 PM

Maybe you just have weaker bones and muscles than other people, but long-term twitches may be the result of a neurological condition, such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease; a severe neuromuscular disease that causes muscle weakness and disability.) Also, if your twitches don't go away, it could be because you've had a brain injury or you could, I don't want to scare you, have a brain tumor. Its highly unlikely though, but I do advise you to push your doctor into looking more into it. Especially if its not going away by itself, obviously something is causing it to happen.

On a more less-scary note, your twitches could also be caused by anxiety, caffeine consumption or other drugs, medication side-effects, stress, or if you go for a walk/run, when you come back your legs could be twitching.

There are a lot of long term side effects if your twitches don't stop, which I wont get into, but please do speak to your doctor again. He cant say no to a worried patient. If he continues to not do anything about this, then I think it would be smart to talk to a different, more serious, doctor Let me know how it goes! Good luck!

Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Is it me or the doctor.. - March 15th 2012, 11:05 PM

I know a girl with a condition that sounds very similar to the symptoms you are describing. She also at first struggled with people believing she had a problem, no one believed that she had what she has, because they thought at first she was making up that she was in pain and her doctor thought it was growing pains as well.
I think you should have this farther looked in to.
Dystonia is a nero-degenerative disorder and has varying types and severities. The girl I know has the form that starts in adolescence.
I'm not saying you have what she has, (There are many things that this could be) because I am not a professional, I am just stating what I know from my experiences and what I know.
I hope this helps and if you ever need anything, you can PM me and I will be very glad to help.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
Closed Thread