TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alex xox Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,153, Level: 14 Points: 10,153, Level: 14 Points: 10,153, Level: 14

Going On To Medication? - March 28th 2012, 04:36 PM

so its been suggested a couple of times that i start on medication for my anxiety (GAD) but I've always been dead set against it. Then when i sat my first lot of A-level exams in january i got poor results, i'm thinking the anxiety could be to blame for this. thats not the main problem though since the results my confidence has taken a true knock. now i dont actually belive i'm good enough etc... In the past week it has again been suggested that i start on medication. i have an apointment booked with my GP to ask her opinion in the new light, but i'm worried I'll form an addiction or have bad side effects. Has anyone else who has been on any form of anti-anxiety medication (mainly some form of SSRI as thats always what has been suggested in the past) got any advice/ comments on how they work or if they work. it would be really helpful, i dont want to go in blind, but equally i dont want to not do anything about it because i dont think it will work.

If I say I'm fine...I'm not
If I say just leave me alone...just do it or you'll regret it
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Going On To Medication? - March 28th 2012, 05:01 PM

Alex, a lot of people are against meds initially, largely b/c of two things: Ego...this wrong headed idea that taking them makes you 'Weaker', 'Crazier', etc., so this quickly becomes some kind of internal control struggle...or inaccuarte or incomplete info about the meds themselves.

The first issue is easily dispensed with by pointing out that failure which results from untreated underlying issues is far worse than success gained from keeping bad stuff away with a pill.

The second is best addressed by talking with the doc who would be prescribing and monitoring them and getting his/her assessment. Typically, though, SSRI's are used quite successfully in treating anxiety with little side effects, what most people experience once they're on the right dose is just an absence of the anxiety.

Besides, if they don't work, or make you feel worse, or you cannot tolerate the idea of taking the pill...you and the doc can stop and you can live with your anxiety, it will still be there.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39

Re: Going On To Medication? - March 31st 2012, 12:38 AM

Some people only take anti-anxiety medication when they first begin treatment, or they only take it when they are having a panic attack or about to undergo a stressful situation (ex. taking an important exam). So if you're worried about becoming addicted, please rest assured that many people have managed to successfully find a balance with their anti-anxiety medication. In fact, depending on the kind of anxiety you're experiencing, you may be able to wean off of it once you've learned coping techniques through therapy. The anti-anxiety medication may just be used to put you in a better mindset - for example, if you're not worrying about an upcoming test 24/7 because the anti-anxiety medication is having an effect on you, then you can focus on learning coping techniques in therapy. Once those techniques have been learned and you know how to successfully use them in the "real world" (ex. breathing exercises before/during/after an exam), the medication may not be necessary. =) And, of course, if your symptoms worsen or the anti-anxiety medication isn't working well enough, you can always talk to your doctor about weaning off the medication and trying something different, or taking a break from medication altogether.

Closed Thread