TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chayla Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chayla

Points: 9,856, Level: 14 Points: 9,856, Level: 14 Points: 9,856, Level: 14

Addiction to soda - January 6th 2009, 10:14 AM

So lately I've found that I have a really bad addiction. To soda. In an act to improve my health, I stopped drinking soda. That only lasted a week. That's the longest I've been without it since I can even remember. But it was the worst week of my life, I was constantly tired. I'd wake up at 3 PM, and by 6 PM I would already be tired enough to sleep. I wasn't myself, and was being really rude to everyone around me. I don't think I'm addicted to the caffeine, maybe just the combination of the caffeine and sugar? I've tried caffeine pills, but they don't work for me. And energy drinks just put me right to sleep.

I really want to become healthy, so I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem? Or if anyone has any suggestions to overcome it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Points: 37,322, Level: 27 Points: 37,322, Level: 27 Points: 37,322, Level: 27

January 6th 2009, 10:39 AM

Instead of stopping completely, gradually cut down. Like if you have 1 bottle a day instead of 1 and a half. A healthier option is that you could also go for diet or zero drinks & Caffiene free drinks.

You dont have to stop drinking soda completely, just try & have more control & slowly drink less each day. Good luck :-)

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TJ. Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Name: TwinJ

Points: 11,955, Level: 15 Points: 11,955, Level: 15 Points: 11,955, Level: 15

January 6th 2009, 11:01 AM

When I stopped drinking soda, I just straight up stopped and went to botteled water.. I used to drink over 2 litres a day....

Try moving to tea for a while.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Points: 15,225, Level: 17 Points: 15,225, Level: 17 Points: 15,225, Level: 17

January 6th 2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_me_again View Post
Instead of stopping completely, gradually cut down. Like if you have 1 bottle a day instead of 1 and a half.
agreed, I was told down to cut down on the amount of coffee I drink.
And I went from like 6 cups to two starbucks... y'know?
just cut down and it'll be easier to just stop altogether.
good luck

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

January 6th 2009, 01:31 PM

It is the caffeine you are addicted to. I have the same problem. If I didn’t have a soda during the day I would get terrible headaches from the lack of caffeine. What I do now is have a cup of tea, or something that has less caffeine in it. It makes me feel better, but is not as bad for me.
But because it is an actual addiction, stopping cold turkey will make you sick. So you need to gradually wean yourself off.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Points: 11,722, Level: 15 Points: 11,722, Level: 15 Points: 11,722, Level: 15

January 6th 2009, 01:47 PM

I agree with Lizzie. We have had quite a few people on here request help for caffeine addictions. (If we had the posts left, I'd refer you, but as we don't, you get websites!)

Most people hear "caffeine addiction" and automatically think : coffee. Yes, but it also includes sodas that are not caffeine free (yes, they do make them. ), most teas, energy drinks, chocolate, etc.

Quote:
Caffeine is considered the most commonly used psychoactive drug in the world. Approximately 80% of the world's population consumes it on a daily basis, and continuous research is being done on its health benefits and consequences.
http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine/article.htm

And below is a link specifically for those struggling to stop drinking caffeinated sodas.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=55663

The main thing is not to stop cold turkey. You go through withdrawals with caffeine just like you do with drugs or alcohol. It has an effect on your body and mind. So just back off slowly and take it a day at a time.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21

January 6th 2009, 03:00 PM

I have the very same problem. I really think that I'm addicted to caffeine. When I stop drinking soda for awhile, I get really bad headaches and I get really tired. I seriously have to have soda or coffee.

Maybe try to cut down little by little. Overcoming any addiction is never easy, but any means. It'll take some time and effort, but you can do it. Just take baby steps to begin with and you'll eventually be down to a point where you don't really need the caffeine.

I wish you the best of luck. :]

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Banana_choc Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: KT

Points: 9,881, Level: 14 Points: 9,881, Level: 14 Points: 9,881, Level: 14

January 6th 2009, 08:40 PM

I used to have a can or 2 of soda a day and then I went to school and I didn't have soda in my room so I would buy one on occasion but I hated to waste the money so I would have one on a weekend or every other when i was home (or 4) so I started by cutting back. Then was told no caffiene at all in the summer (that went for 4 months then i decided to re introduce it to myself)... but none the less cold turkey even under medical advice is VERY hard to do. so as suggestion just cut down to how much a day then every other and maybe end settle for one or 2 a week.. or only when out or something. water is of course the best replacement and there is always the fizzy water when you crave fizz (thats my addiction to soda. . . I just want the fizz!)
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lost and Found Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ash

Points: 10,014, Level: 14 Points: 10,014, Level: 14 Points: 10,014, Level: 14

Re: Addiction to soda - January 7th 2009, 10:57 PM

The high-fructose corn sweetener that is in most processed foods is actually addictive. So that might be the cause. Because there's a ton of that in soda. Either way, my recommendation would be just to slowly cut off your soda intake. I don't recommend diet soda, that stuff is actually really bad for you.

Maybe, you can try mixing sparkling water with juice, (or just getting sparkling juice, if you have more luck finding it than I do.) because it's sort of like soda, but it's not. And start drinking that instead. Like, you could drink less and less soda, and more and more of stuff like that, until you don't feel like you need to have soda anymore.

Good luck.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
JB00 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cara

Points: 9,941, Level: 14 Points: 9,941, Level: 14 Points: 9,941, Level: 14

Re: Addiction to soda - January 8th 2009, 09:49 PM

I was (sometimes am) addiced to soda, like totally. But I started drinking other beverages in place of soda without completely replacing it, like apple juice lol, and iced-tea, and lemonade. So yeah, just drink more of other drinks and stuffs and less soda, I don't think you need to totally ban soda from your diet, and if you do you can make it gradual so it's not as hard.

~JB~
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Points: 23,740, Level: 22 Points: 23,740, Level: 22 Points: 23,740, Level: 22

Re: Addiction to soda - January 11th 2009, 04:21 PM

Omg, I'm really addicted too ... I think it help me unstress, and I can't quite figure out how that works. I wish I didn't drink so much, cos I know it's bad for me ... but I know how you feel!
Closed Thread