TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26

Arrow picking at scalp - July 13th 2020, 05:10 PM

[SIZE="a"]So in the past few months I've developed a bit of a nervous picking habit, particularly picking at my scalp. It started a few months ago when quarantine started, and my senior year project team had to adapt to a bunch of new deadlines and obstacles. It started out by just constantly running my hands through my hair, then scratching my head, to where I am now which is picking at any bumps i find, which has led to bleeding and scabbing. My scalp isnt ichy, and I take good care of my hair, its just something i'll notice I've been doing for the past few minutes and didnt even realize. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to get myself to at least stop picking at my scalp until it bleeds, as my main concern at the moment is infection or hair loss.
If anyone has suggestions on different ways to keep my hands busy, I'd be happy to hear![/size]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: picking at scalp - July 15th 2020, 09:32 AM

I have that same problem!

Whenever I get anxious, stressed, or start to feel agitated, I run my fingers through my hair. If I feel anything out of the ordinary I unconsciously start picking at it to the point I've ended up making my scalp dry. Sometimes I've scratched so much I've caused lumps to occur, which I'd then scratch and cause to bleed.

Using shampoos sort of help retain scalp moisture and ease any dryness, but it won't fix the picking.

I usually keep a pen nearby so I can play with it. One of those clicky ones, that way I can click it and flip it around rather than scratching. It doesn't work all the time, but making a conscious effort to be aware of what your hands are doing and where you're putting them is the bigger aim. The more you make yourself aware of what you're doing, the more you can help push yourself to control your urges to scratch.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: picking at scalp - July 16th 2020, 03:00 AM

Hi there,

I have a similar issue whereby I pick my hair out of habit, even if I'm not feeling anxious or nervous, so I can understand how frustrating it can get when you're trying to break a habit. And I haven't had much luck breaking this habit, though as I write this I suddenly feel compelled to give it another shot.

I have read somewhere that it takes 21 days to break a habit, though that appears to be a controversial concept. Anyhow, generally the more we work on something, the more we get accustomed to our new way of living/new habits and practices. Kind of like how we're more used to living in quarantine now as compared to when it was first declared in March. So give yourself time and monitor where your hands go when you're doing something. Being aware of this might help control it, until you reach a point you're not doing it as much as before.

Like Rivière said, toying with a pen or something might help. Or every time you feel your hand going up to your head, you can try to consciously remind yourself that you need to keep your hands elsewhere (I know this is really, really hard!!), it will definitely take some patience.

This can be hard because our hands just go up to our head almost subconsciously, but don't give up! And good luck!!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: picking at scalp - October 1st 2020, 07:54 PM

You've received some really good advice so far but I just wanted to add that if you are still struggling with picking your scalp you might want to try wearing cotton gloves. They are meant to stop people with eczema from scratching but I imagine it could work with scalp picking too.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Panda Solo Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Not a n00b

Name: Leah

Points: 8,301, Level: 13 Points: 8,301, Level: 13 Points: 8,301, Level: 13

Re: picking at scalp - October 4th 2020, 01:12 AM

Hello there,

I am so surprised that many of replies reporting having the same issues, becuase I also have the same issue. I scratch my scalp and search of any small bumbs and if I find any I could use my nail to take it out. I tried to break this habbit because there are lots of germs in our nails and by scratching my scalp often with nails and fingers, it might sent bacteria and germ directly onto my scalp and cause further problem like hair loss and dandruff. What I am doing right now is that every time I raise my right arm, I make a note to switch the action from scrtching to touching, like how I would pet a dog or cat from head to tail .
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: picking at scalp - October 4th 2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Solo View Post
Hello there,

I am so surprised that many of replies reporting having the same issues, becuase I also have the same issue

wow same. i never thought so many people experience this. it's so annoying for me, i can't imagine how annoying it's for other people when I'm constantly running my hands through my hair. Needless to say it's unhealthy and unhygienic lol.

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

Closed Thread