TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

alcohol - August 17th 2009, 03:10 AM

I got told by my grandma if I did good at my dive meet I could drink half of a wine cooler that was in the fridge and i did really good..since we weren't home yesterday and we got home today..I just drank half of it...It tasted really good but the problem is I probley drank it in like a minute...I have a very addictive mind and my mom is an alcohlic and a drug addicted(well recovered drug addict) I get my addictive mind from her...anyways my grandma knows all this and still let me have it...I was just wondering would you of let me have it? and also I know im probley gonna become an alcohlic when im older just because of my addictive mind and everything is there away to stop this with out not drinking?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Points: 17,480, Level: 19 Points: 17,480, Level: 19 Points: 17,480, Level: 19

Re: alcohol - August 17th 2009, 03:23 AM

I'm in the same boat as you, both my parents were alcoholics, so I have that natural "addictive" tendency. But realize that YOU are in control of what happens. If you fear becoming addicted, then don't drink. If you think you can handle a wine cooler or half of one, then that's OK. You said yourself you already have that addictive mindset, then maybe you should consider not drinking or forcing yourself to practice moderation.

Having a predisposition to alcoholism does NOT mean you will become an alcoholic, you can avoid that path. You make your own choices, you think for yourself. You don't have to become something just because you think it's unavoidable, it is avoidable. You have a lot more control over how things turn out than you realize. =]
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: alcohol - August 17th 2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Am I Anymore? View Post
I got told by my grandma if I did good at my dive meet I could drink half of a wine cooler that was in the fridge and i did really good..since we weren't home yesterday and we got home today..I just drank half of it...It tasted really good but the problem is I probley drank it in like a minute...I have a very addictive mind and my mom is an alcohlic and a drug addicted(well recovered drug addict) I get my addictive mind from her...anyways my grandma knows all this and still let me have it...I was just wondering would you of let me have it? and also I know im probley gonna become an alcohlic when im older just because of my addictive mind and everything is there away to stop this with out not drinking?
If you still want to drink then you can but reduce the amount you drink and increase the time between drinking. But the best way to avoid getting addicted to drinking is simply not to drink.

If you want to be rewarded for something good, such as a swim dive meet then still do reward yourself but perhaps do it using something else. Perhaps have your favourite meal or go to a restaurant or something else, ideally without alcohol or other illegal drugs.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,147, Level: 15 Points: 11,147, Level: 15 Points: 11,147, Level: 15

Re: alcohol - August 18th 2009, 03:17 PM

In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have seen a problem giving it to you, seeing as it's only one cooler and it was one time. If you truely feel you cannot handle drinking without getting out of control, then the answer is to not start drinking in the first place. Try to avoid is as you get older, and you'll be fine. I just want to let you know that it's normal for you to be curious about it, and that you will probably drink from time to time.

Try to stay in control. It doesn't lead down a pretty road, as I'm sure you've seen with your mother. Take it slow, see what you can handle.

Take care.
Closed Thread