TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Points: 23,394, Level: 22 Points: 23,394, Level: 22 Points: 23,394, Level: 22

Alcohol... advice? - December 4th 2010, 10:35 AM

A lot of my friends have started to worry about my drinking and i just wanted some outside opinion as to whether it's unhealthy or just normal- bearing in mind i'm a first year uni student. I'm small build and don't eat huge amounts of food.

Typical lighter night

1/2 bottle of baileys (20%)
5 shots (40%)
large bottle of alcopop (5%)
4 pints (5%)

I probably drink 4-5 nights a week. And most of the time i drink with friends when going out etc.

I rarely drink on my own normally only once a week. When something upsets me i start drinking but i try and drink with people if possible.

I drink to the point of total drunkeness- falling over, memory blanks etc maybe 3 times a week... the other couple of times is more just very tipsy

To me, it seems normal behaviour, but i just wanted confirmation really about whether this is healthy or not...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Points: 11,660, Level: 15 Points: 11,660, Level: 15 Points: 11,660, Level: 15

Re: Alcohol... advice? - December 4th 2010, 02:26 PM

Well they're your friends for a reason. Some people can handle this sort of thing and carry on with life as normal. It's not healthy, but they can do it. They know you a lot better than we do and if they're expressing concern then perhaps you should listen to them. They're not saying it to ruin your fun or anything.

If what you described is what you drink on a LIGHT night then I really dread to think what you're drinking on a heavy night. You are going to do serious damage to your body drinking like that, so often. And it's not exactly sensible is it... Getting so drunk you can't even remember anything, you're leaving yourself open to all sorts of twisted people to take full advantage of you.

You also have to worry about the social side. I personally really resent the guy/girl that gets so drunk they can't even walk properly. It puts responsibility onto the rest of the group and quite frankly, ruins the evening when you're having to mother someone. They're out to have a good night, not babysit.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Points: 23,394, Level: 22 Points: 23,394, Level: 22 Points: 23,394, Level: 22

Re: Alcohol... advice? - December 4th 2010, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the reply charlotte.
Social side wise- my friends don't have to look after me as i generally get to that point once i'm home.

I just find it so soothing and peaceful. Things are really tough at the moment, and whenever i feel sad or angry i know that if i have some drinks i'll forget everything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Points: 18,336, Level: 19 Points: 18,336, Level: 19 Points: 18,336, Level: 19

Exclamation Re: Alcohol... advice? - December 4th 2010, 10:31 PM

Going out 4-5 times a week to get drunk is no good it’s extremely hard on the body. People who binge drink (weekend warriors) are putting themselves at risk of liver diseases even more so then the everyday light drinker. Seeing as how you drink more frequently you’re putting yourself at a greater risk. Drinking is something that can control ones life. You need to balance having fun and drinking. Sometimes it’s smart to take a few nights off the alcohol.

Alcohol is addicting, most people don’t know it till it’s too late. People seem to forget it is a drug like any other. If you have to ask if you’ve got a problem then you probably do, put yourself to the test, try to go 2 weeks without a drink. You’ll quickly find it’s a lot harder then you might think. Drinking can also hurt your ability to have fun with out the drug. Drinking is fine when you know your limit when you can say I’ve had enough or when you’re able to drink without getting wasted.

If you think you’ve got a problem I’d take it into consideration before it becomes a life turning issue. Don’t fail in school because of your nightlife, later in your life you’ll look back and regret what a great opportunity you passed up. Make no mistake everyone thinks it’s not going to happen to them until it hits you so hard you fall flat on your ass.

Personally I think you’d be wise to cut your drinking down 80% only allow yourself to drink once a week. Then lower it even more if you choose.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Points: 27,528, Level: 23 Points: 27,528, Level: 23 Points: 27,528, Level: 23

Re: Alcohol... advice? - December 5th 2010, 08:20 PM

I think drinking every day is a sign of a bad habit forming.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Points: 25,671, Level: 23 Points: 25,671, Level: 23 Points: 25,671, Level: 23

Re: Alcohol... advice? - December 5th 2010, 08:58 PM

It's not good for you, but then again, you're a first year uni student so you're going to drink a lot any way. You've just go to say no when people invite you out, or when you do go out drink less alcoholic beverages.
Just think how much money you'd save, alcohol isn't cheap here D=
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 12,309, Level: 16 Points: 12,309, Level: 16 Points: 12,309, Level: 16

Re: Alcohol... advice? - December 5th 2010, 10:05 PM

I wouldn't say you're abnormal, I know plenty of people who drink that amount. BUT I agree with the others, it's not healthy at all.. and drinking to the point of blanking out 3 times a week would indicate to me that you're drinking too much. Also using it to relax is fine but if you start to depend on it then maybee you need to be worried :S
It's obviously completely up to you but cutting down might be a good idea (and as Keady says, save you some moneys) x
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19

Re: Alcohol... advice? - December 7th 2010, 01:34 PM

Personally, yes, I think your drinking habits sound unhealthy. For two reasons:

One, your friends are worried about you. They know you better than most of us do and if they think there is a problem, I would most definitely be listening to them. Real friends don't say things like that if they aren't genuinely concerned.

Two, you say that you are drinking because you are upset. If you are using alcohol as a coping mechanism, then it is definitely not healthy for you. Alcohol shouldn't be used to hide from life.

Truthfully, I also think the amount that you say you are drinking is too much. However, I don't drink myself, so that's just my personal opinion.

I think you should talk to your friends. They seem to really want to help you, so let them. Alcohol addiction is a terrible thing to have to deal with and it's incredibly hard on the people around you as well.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Alcohol... advice? - December 9th 2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
but then again, you're a first year uni student so you're going to drink a lot any way
That makes no sense. Just because you're now in college doesn't mean that you're automatically going to drink a lot.

Drinking that much is incredibly unhealthy for your body, but if you decide to continue to do so, just be careful, and be safe.
Closed Thread