TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ShaShannon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,768, Level: 14 Points: 9,768, Level: 14 Points: 9,768, Level: 14

Exercise Addiction - February 6th 2011, 06:12 AM

I'm addicted to exerciseing. I've been losing weight extremely fast and I'm tired but I feel fat still. I don't know what to do.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Points: 11,957, Level: 15 Points: 11,957, Level: 15 Points: 11,957, Level: 15

Re: Exercise Addiction - February 6th 2011, 04:28 PM

Slow down. Breathe try different exercises like meditiations, yoga. I did research and its reaally good for youe body and soul here's a link (:
http://www.yoga-for-beginners-a-prac...oga-poses.html

Take an easy . I'm here if you need to talk.

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Points: 13,167, Level: 16 Points: 13,167, Level: 16 Points: 13,167, Level: 16

Re: Exercise Addiction - February 7th 2011, 07:21 PM

Hey there Shannon,

I think you should talk to your parents and your doctor about what's going on. Being addicted to exercise and losing a lot of weight because of it could be signs of an eating or obsessive compulsive disorder. Reach out and talk to the people around you. Seeing a doctor and finding out how much exercise is good and safe for you is really important. You can overdo a good thing. I like Kelly's idea of doing so more low key exercise like yoga and pilates.

Please go see your doctor and tell your parents what is going on. I hope you're doing okay and you can PM me anytime if you want to talk. Take care of yourself!
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Re: Exercise Addiction - February 10th 2011, 05:52 PM

Excessive exercising is a form of an eating disorder that often goes hand in hand with obsessive compulsive disorder. Some signs include feeling like you don't want to exercise anymore but feeling obligated to do so or anxious if you do not. This would be an issue that you need to discuss with your family and your doctor. It's an extremely serious issue and if left untreated can breed other forms of eating disorders, obsessive behaviour, anxiety issues etc. It would be in your best interest to get evaluated by a doctor so that you are aware of whether or not this is an issue of excessive exercise and get treatment if it is.

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
distance Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,120, Level: 13 Points: 9,120, Level: 13 Points: 9,120, Level: 13

Re: Exercise Addiction - February 14th 2011, 03:32 AM

Hey Shannon,

This reply is a bit later than everyone else but I wanted to chime in anyway... exercise compulsion and addiction is right up my ally, unfortunately.

In my case, it quickly turned from sneaking in extra jumping jacks, crunches, pushups, jumproping in bed, in the bathroom... wherever I could as "punishment" for eating. Then it turned into just not eating and still exercising and finally not eating + no exercise (if I couldn't stand up without being scared I was going to pass out, how the hell was I supposed to exercise?).

Get a support team- therapist, parents or other trusted adult. Friends can help, though I've found that a trusted adult has been most beneficial for me. I finally broke down last month and fessed up to a non-family adult in my life about my anorexia (nervosa and athletica) and its helped tons.

(My PM box is also open...)
Closed Thread