TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Points: 18,635, Level: 19 Points: 18,635, Level: 19 Points: 18,635, Level: 19

Is this an addiction?... or what? - July 8th 2011, 04:10 PM

Well, basically I have recently become very dependant on paracetemol (wow, look at me, I'm so hardcore :/)

I went through a phase a couple of months ago, where I had really bad headaches. I asked my mum (who's a doctor) and she didn't see any need to see my GP about it, and just to take some paracetemol. So for about a week, I was having a dose of paracetemol (2 tablets) 3 or 4 times a day.

The headaches stopped after about a week, so I'm okay. But THEN my exams started, and I'd have the occasional not-so-bad headache, but I saw it as a sort of excuse to have paracetemol. Then some mornings I wouldn't have a headache, but I'd have a paracetemol anyway 'just in case.'

And now, I feel like I sort of need them. I go without any for a few days, but then I feel... odd. Kind of like I'm hungry, but higher up, in my chest. And I know I need paracetemol, and when I have it, I'm okay. I've tried alternating with ibuprofen, but it doesn't help. I just want paracetemol.

I've never overdosed, so don't worry about that, and I have no intention of doing so. I've never had more than 4 doses in 24 hours (8 tablets) which is the maximum allowed.

I just... I'm not sure what this is. Like, am I addicted to them? I can't have them that much, because my mum buys them, and would notice if they kept disappearing. So, I've started hiding them in my room in case I really need them.

Any idea of what's going on? Advice? Am I delusional? :')
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
A Lady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ask away!

Points: 9,799, Level: 14 Points: 9,799, Level: 14 Points: 9,799, Level: 14

Re: Is this an addiction?... or what? - July 8th 2011, 07:24 PM

Hi Kate! I think that you need to be very careful, any drug use (even if it is for medical problem) can be addictive. It is perfectly ok to take paracetamol if you have a headache, but if you don't have one, there is no need to put this drug in you body. I think that you know this is not a normal behaviour, that is why you are hidding the drugs in your room.
I don't know if this is an addcition, but it could easily become one it you don't control it while you still can. Try to find another coping method for the times when you feel like you need to have paracetamol in order to control the urge.

Differences of habit and language
are nothing at all if our aims are
identical and our hearts are open.

~J.K. Rowling~

"The Beginning," Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,
2000, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore

Talk to me anytime, I'm here for you!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Points: 14,038, Level: 17 Points: 14,038, Level: 17 Points: 14,038, Level: 17

Re: Is this an addiction?... or what? - July 8th 2011, 09:44 PM

If you don't have a headache, there's no reason to take the medication. However, you can feel dependent on anything..

I think you know that people would be mildly concerned if they found out about this, which is probably why you're posting here. What you need to do is wean yourself off of it, or if you can, just stop taking it.

Move down a couple of tablets every day, until you're down to none! If you really do need some, then take it only when necessary. You're not crazy, it's okay (:

Just know that anything can become addictive, it's not your fault.

Good luck, Love.

<3
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Is this an addiction?... or what? - July 9th 2011, 03:21 AM

Paracetamol is not known to cause physiological addictions no matter the dosage, that is, any addiction would be psychological because it reduces pain. It doesn't matter how much you take, it will not be physiologically addictive. Evidence of this has come from various papers as far back as 1981 (possibly further back). The below link has the full paper (note it is a PDF):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...401930/?page=1

If you mix paracetamol with, say, alcohol, not only do you get one hell of an experience you also are at a very high risk for addiction, complicated treatments and high risk for long-term damage. One issue with paracetamol on its own is it can cause liver damage (and possibly kidney damage) if taken for too long due to build-up of NAPQI. http://www.medicinaoral.com/medoralf...lv13i4p235.pdf (PDF)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAPQI (describes NAPQI a bit clearer)

Although you haven't overdosed, I'm just going to give a bit of information on the overdose. From the Wikipedia link, 16-36 hours after a large overdose (i.e. near lethal dose which is mentioned below), symptoms of severe liver damage occurs and at that point, you can kiss your ass good-bye. If it's not that big of an overdose, symptoms occur 3-4 days after but your liver has still taken a massive hit. If you get treated within 8 hours (sooner is always better) after the overdose with acetylcysteine and methionine, your liver won't take that big of a hit and you'll be better. The LD50 (half of the lethal dose) is between 5-7.5 grams of paracetamol. In other words, the lethal dose is between 10-15 grams.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
Closed Thread