TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Still living with my parents - July 15th 2015, 02:06 PM

I'm 24 and still live with my parents. I don't work due to my disability (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) but I do part-time courses. Right now the situation of me living here is fine. My boyfriend also lives with his mother still (he's 25) he's basically her carer (she has rheumatoid arthritis) so as living on our own together isn't an ideal situation right now either.

I'm happy enough living here. I pay lodge (I'm on disability benefits and paying lodge was my idea because my parents aren't exactly rich) but it's no where near what I would pay if I lived on my own.

My friends and my sister keep telling me to move out. I get that it would help me to become independent but I don't really want to live alone :/ I don't see the point. There's a bedroom here for me and I'm happy here.

I know living with your parents at 24 isn't "normal" but I'm not normal :') so I don't know.

What do you all think?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Still living with my parents - July 15th 2015, 05:41 PM

I live with my dad and I am 25. A lot of this has to do with my disability. If I had it my way I would be working and trying to live on my own. Right now my situation doesn't allow that but hopefully in a year or so I'll be out there trying to get a job.

Honestly, if you don't feel ready to move out or it wouldn't benefit you I don't see a reason to move out just yet. I think you need to feel like you are ready to move out before you can make that decision.

Your medical issues come before living on your own so if they would be impacted in any way then I wouldn't suggest moving out quite yet. I know that my medical issues would be impacted greatly if I moved out so I am holding off on that. I hope to move out in the future but I have to take care of myself and my well-being.

If you feel as though moving out is something that you want to do then you might want to look for rooms for rent. You can get rent for a cheaper amount then if you tried renting an apartment. Also, consider what your monthly bills would be and see how your income would hold up.

If you are content with your living situation don't move out just yet. There are always going to be people who are going to tell you how you should live your life but you have to do what is comfortable/right for you.

I hope this helped in some way and I am wishing you the best of luck.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Still living with my parents - July 15th 2015, 07:05 PM

I am happy enough here. It's not like me and my parents have a bad relationship at all, we all get on great. I think I would be really lonely on my own :/ I could get a cat or something but it's not the same.

Thank you <3 It's nice to know I'm not the only one in this kind of situation.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Still living with my parents - July 15th 2015, 08:27 PM

Your reasons for still living with your parents are completely understandable, your boyfriend's reasons are too. (The fact that he takes care of his mother is really sweet.) Making sure that you're able to take care of yourself as far as medical bills, rent and your disability is important. You also sound happy in living with your parents, so that's perfectly fine and as .:BreakingBeautifully:. said, you should only move out when it's right for you.

Living with your parents at your age is actually more common than you'd think. Still living with your parents doesn't mean you're not normal or anything, honestly, I think it's great as long as you're happy there and have a good relationship with your parents. And you seem to be content with living there, so try not to let anyone's words about it bring you down or influence your decisions. All that matters is what works best and is most comfortable for you and your parents, not anyone else's views, you know?

Take care of yourself!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Still living with my parents - July 15th 2015, 09:50 PM

Like Ellie said, living with your parents into your 20's is far more common than many people realize. I have a number of friends who lived at home far longer than others, such as myself (I was out a few months before my 18th birthday). For a lot of people living at home is just the only practical choice, whether its cause their are currently attending university, have health problems, a disability or have a family member that needs a little extra help (and a whole whack of other reasons). Some of my friends lived at home into their late 20's, one of my friends is 31 and still at home cause he's Muslim and he plans to live with his family until he gets married BUT he is also a manager at a really well to-do local company, has tons of business connections, and is pretty loaded, so it's not like he needs to live at home.

Any how, it's ok to live at home if that's what is best for you. Who knows, that could change in a few years... It could not. I would just tell you friends and family who are pressuring you to get out on your own that you understand their concern and why they think it is a good idea but that it's not right for you right now. Maybe ut if they understand you're listening to them but seriously aren't interested in relocating right now then they'll give you a break

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 7,702, Level: 12 Points: 7,702, Level: 12 Points: 7,702, Level: 12

Re: Still living with my parents - July 19th 2015, 03:42 PM

If you have good living terms with your parents, don't worry about still living there! Lots of people are staying at home with their parents longer to save money and to help them. Yeah it's normal as long as it's a healthy relationship, which it definitely sounds like in your situation
Closed Thread