TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Meowstic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,895, Level: 10 Points: 4,895, Level: 10 Points: 4,895, Level: 10

I don't want to move again how can I convince my parents - March 13th 2016, 04:35 AM

My younger sister got expelled from school this week. I don't really want to go into details about that. Anyways so my sister has been getting into a lot of trouble for a while now one thing after another my mom usually overlooks it. This time it's really bad though and I can't even believe she was involved but she was. I don't know what's going on with her but she's changed so much I'm really worried and she's only 10. This time my mom is so mad and she doesn't want to deal with my sister anymore so my sister is going to be going to live with my dad. My dad has been saying for a while that he wants us to live with him and our stepmom (who I really don't like because she really isn't nice). My mom wants us both to go live with my dad but I really don't want to move again we have moved so much and I am just starting to get used to living here and my new school and making friends. If I live with my dad i bywould have to start all over again and that's never easy for me. I don't see why I should have to move because of what my sister did but they just won't hear it. How can I convince my parents to let me stay living with my mom? I don't know what to do about any of this I just feel like it's unfair no one ever thinks of me I am in grade 7 and at my 7th school I just want to stay in one place for longer then a year.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: I don't want to move again how can I convince my parents - March 17th 2016, 11:51 PM

Apologies for my late reply, I didn't see this earlier.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister's expulsion and the possibility of moving again can be tough. I agree with you in that you shouldn't have to move because of your sister's actions. You didn't do anything wrong and you shouldn't be punished for that but I think your mom might want you to go with your sister to support her. Since you said your parents aren't listening, I suggest writing a note and leaving it somewhere for them. Explain what you've said here; that you are just getting used to living where you're at and you'd like to stay in one place for a while. Maybe you can do some research to find some facts about what moving so often does to someone's mental health, and you could also tell your mom that you'll help with household chores.

Keep me updated if you'd like.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Meowstic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't want to move again how can I convince my parents - March 18th 2016, 12:25 AM

I told my mom everything about how I want to stay at the same school and not lose my new friends and all she said was "you'll be coming to visit me every other weekend so.you can make plans with your friends then and you can talk to them on Facebook.. She just doesn't get how it's not the same its still not what I want I'm.always so nervous starting at new schools especially halfway through the year. But my mom says there's more to their decision then just because of my sister getting expelled and that they have been talking about it for a while. Nothing i have said has changed her mind. So next weekend is wben we are supposed to move in with our Dad my Dad is OK but my stepmom is so nasty to us and my dad always takes her side over ours. Like I've never liked fish my whole life and my dad never made me eat it until she came along so now she tells my dad to make food we don't like and make us try it so he does what she says then if we don't eat it she saves it for the next meal until it spoils then there's something else to take its place. I don't know why he does everything she tells him to or why she has such stupid rules like that she's not a real mom. I don't know why he likes being bossed around by her but I don't like her and don't want to live with her.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: I don't want to move again how can I convince my parents - March 18th 2016, 05:59 AM

I'm sorry to hear that your parents aren't listening to your side of things. You said they said that they've been discussing this for a while now. Maybe you can ask your mom about the other reasons she and your dad have come up with for making you and your sister move? Maybe it'll clarify some things for you or give you some sort of closure.

Your stepmom seems tough to be around. A lot of times, marriage changes people, and blended families change the dynamics too. It might be worth sitting down with your father after you move in and discussing how you feel about some things so he's aware of it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Meowstic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't want to move again how can I convince my parents - March 30th 2016, 01:53 AM

My sister and me moved in with my Dad over Easter weekend and today was our first day of school. I was so nervous and shy and couldn't make myself talk to anyone even when some people asked me questions I couldn't answer them. I want to try to make friends but I'm afraid to talk to people because I don't know if they are nice or not or who I should try to become friends with and I'm scared I will make friends just to have to move again. Does anyone have any advice on what I could do? I'm so tired of being alone and tired of moving around. I want to go back to my other school where my mom lives at least there I had finally made 2 friends.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I don't want to move again how can I convince my parents - March 30th 2016, 03:45 AM

Starting a new school is tough but I think things will feel a little more manageable once you begin learning your way around the school. Try to remember that your teachers and other school staff members are on your side in this. It might help to get to know them, or maybe visit your school guidance counselor to see if he or she has any recommendations for settling in.

As for making friends, maybe you can keep an eye out for extracurricular or any other after school clubs that interest you so you can meet people with similar interests. I know some schools allow you to volunteer during school and after hours, so that might be something to look into as well.

You can try focusing on your breathing before you talk to people. And you can start small, too. You can use small words and phrases when people ask you questions and as you get more comfortable, you can talk a little more and kind of work your way up.

It might help if you brought a small comfort item to school, like a favorite bracelet or a favorite jacket to make you feel safer. It's like having a little piece of home with you and that can be comforting when you're not used to a new place.

Closed Thread