TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death, Grieving and Coping With Loss Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Marie Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 9,915, Level: 14 Points: 9,915, Level: 14 Points: 9,915, Level: 14

Not a death but still grieving - August 26th 2009, 01:19 AM

For the loss of my dog.

My parents got her like a year and a half ago and we'd gone through a lot of pets up until this point. My parents had a habit of homing animals that weren't wanted, so usually they had some sort of illness that shortened their life. Id they didnt, they almost always had a problem witht heir personality that made it hard to cope with so we ended up giving them back to whatever shelter we got them from

Anyway we got our last pet and she was healthy and normal and my parents promised we'd have her until she died. So I guess I let myself get really attached.

For about 8 months I loved her with every bone in my body. I'm not an affectionate person and I tend to have a guard up all the time to stop people getting close. My dog was the only thing I truly loved without any hesitation. I was her sole caregiver, walking her all hours of the day and feeding her, playing with her, sleeping with her on my bed.

I went to university a year ago and I cried a lot because I had to say goodbye. Unfortunately my dad was in a real bad car crash and my mum has arthritus, so with me gone it didnt leave anyone to take care of her as well as I did. My parents felt cruel because she wasnt getting all the exercise she needed and she became very frustrated. When she snapped at my mum at christmas, my parents decided to give her to a shelter.

I cried so much for so long. I went back to university for my second semester and I tried to get over it. I went back home for easter and cried when I walked in the dog and wasnt greeted by my dog.

It's been 8 months and I find myself crying because I miss her so much.'
It's not normal and I don't know how to stop it. She was my baby and I loved her so much and she was taken away from me.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Points: 15,564, Level: 18 Points: 15,564, Level: 18 Points: 15,564, Level: 18

Re: Not a death but still grieving - August 26th 2009, 01:41 AM

that is so amazingly sad. i know i love my dog with a love unmatched by anyone, and a loss like this is almost as bad as death. could you maybe volunteer at the pound when ur at home, and ask about your dog and see if it's been adopted yet? hopefully a dog as sweet as yours was would have a nice home by now. you can take comfort in knowing that, because you can't do anything about it now. i'm so sorry for your loss, the pain never really goes away, but soon it'll get better and things will look up. PM me anytime.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cherryqueen1248 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Care

Points: 10,569, Level: 15 Points: 10,569, Level: 15 Points: 10,569, Level: 15

Re: Not a death but still grieving - August 26th 2009, 02:21 AM

im so sorry, good luck =]
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Marie Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 9,915, Level: 14 Points: 9,915, Level: 14 Points: 9,915, Level: 14

Re: Not a death but still grieving - August 26th 2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanTiger7 View Post
that is so amazingly sad. i know i love my dog with a love unmatched by anyone, and a loss like this is almost as bad as death. could you maybe volunteer at the pound when ur at home, and ask about your dog and see if it's been adopted yet? hopefully a dog as sweet as yours was would have a nice home by now. you can take comfort in knowing that, because you can't do anything about it now. i'm so sorry for your loss, the pain never really goes away, but soon it'll get better and things will look up. PM me anytime.
I never even thought about volunteering, that is a really really good idea. Thanks.
Closed Thread