TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15 Points: 10,914, Level: 15

Anxiety and Ideations - January 18th 2017, 08:59 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Just not really sure where to go from here or what to do next. I've had clinical depression since I was about 13 or 14 and it has been diagnosed since I was 16. I was on medications for a few years as well as receiving psychotherapy which I personally found more beneficial. In Fall 2012 I started university about 4000 miles away so I had to stop therapy (by this point I had already stopped medication). That went a little shitty and I started counseling again but the psychologist I was matched with was an awful match. So I stopped seeing this psychologist and instead of switching psychologists I just never went back to utilize that service.

I just turned 23, still the prime age for onset of mental illness, and recently I've been having more and more suicidal ideations. I get them almost every day and they're pretty vivid. I don't think I would ever act on them but the fact that they are constantly there is terrifying and so is just the thought that I could act on them. I also have started to get panic attacks within the last couple of months which never used to happen before.The physical symptoms are honestly the worst part of it -- tightness in the chest, loud ringing in the ears, and dizziness to the point where sometimes I can't stand and just have to lay down and close my eyes until it passes which has never really been more than 5-10 minutes. I still am not entirely sure what triggers it and anxiety has never really been an issue with me before this either.

Between these two things, I wish I had some reason to justify why I feel like killing myself almost every week, but to be completely honest my life is pretty perfect except for the fact that the chemicals in my brain are just out of whack. I study rehabilitation and counselor education and actually am currently working for the same mental healthcare service that I went to briefly in Fall 2012. Overall, the psychologists who work there are great (still not a fan of the one I was seeing lol) but any of the ones I would actually want as my psychologist can't because it would be an ethical issue/conflict of interest since we have a personal relationship.

I'm just not sure where to go next. At my school there is a waitlist for psychiatrics so even if I wanted to get medications it would take some time and I am not even sure if that's what I want. Counseling would be my better option but I'm not even sure where to go from there either. The case worker where I work gave me a resource list of outside counselors/private practice psychologists but tbh I'm just so skeptical that once again I won't find a good match. It's just weird to me that this is the field that I work in and yet I kind of refuse to utilize it myself.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of advice I'm asking for here and I'm not sure if this is bettered suited for the Mental Health forum, but maybe just what do you think I should do? What has your experience been as far as how long it took you to find a combination of medication/counseling that worked for you? Or the right ones?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic_ Offline
Average Joe

Name: Cass

Points: 5,531, Level: 10 Points: 5,531, Level: 10 Points: 5,531, Level: 10

Re: Anxiety and Ideations - January 19th 2017, 05:28 PM

Hi There,

I understand where you're coming from. It took me literally nine counselors until I finally found the right one. It's hard, some of them just don't match your personality or can't meet your needs. I would suggest to keep searching. I'm not sure where you're from but you can typically google for private counselors in your area and a list should pop up. Read up about them, and try to find on the best fits your personality.

I'm glad that you don't think you want to act on your thoughts, though I know it's scary that you feel these at all. I feel the same way sometimes. I think these are all good things to be able to bring up with a counselor. Counselors also typically can fit you in a lot faster than psychiatrist and psychologist, at least where I'm from.

I'm sorry you're also dealing with anxiety. I have really bad anxiety and I know how awful it is, including the physical symptoms. I would suggest try to use some breathing techniques and grounding exercises. Do them when you don't have anxiety as well, as a preventative for when you do.

You can get through this. One step at a time and if you just need or want to chat with someone please free to PM me. <3
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Anxiety and Ideations - January 19th 2017, 07:22 PM

Hi Nicole,

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I was diagnosed a few years ago and I relied on medication and counseling to get me through the rest of my schooling. I did have to go see a psychiatrist in order to get a proper diagnosis so that I could be properly medicated. I highly suggest that you do go see a new psychiatrist. I didn't really like mine, but I don't have to see him that much. Once we got medication sorted out I didn't have to see him anymore as my family doctor would take over unless my moods started to change drastically again.

I originally didn't want to get help, even though I was dealing with severe suicidal thoughts, just like you mentioned. I had acted against the thoughts a couple times. I had plans written down and everything. It was actually the teachers and security at the school that forced me to get the help by making me go to the hospital. That's when I started taking control of my mental health.

There are some people who refuse to go on medication all together and try and help their symptoms by themselves. I am not able to do that as I have a severe form of Bipolar disorder. You could try listening to music or watching TV. Another way that a lot of people cope is by exercising. Exercising is actually very good for you. Not only do you keep in shape, but also it releases endorphins to your brain which then releases positive energy to the rest of your body to help the chemical imbalance.

Here's a list of Hotlines that you can refer to if you're struggling and need someone to talk to. I hope you start feeling better soon. Dealing with the demons in your heard are always incredibly difficult and you are strong for dealing with them everyday. No one understands unless they have been through it like myself.

Stay Strong,
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
Closed Thread