TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

Kind of a vent? - May 19th 2023, 09:11 PM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, so I'm sorry if it's not, this has just been creeping up a lot in my mind lately. This is kind of a silly fear to have, I'm not old, but i've realized one of my biggest anxieties is dying before I do everything I want to do and finish all of the stories i want to tell. Like occasionally be lying in bed and thinking about it, and my stomach just sinks... I've always feared death, which I know is pretty natural, but in recent years, as I get older and start hitting more "adult milestones" or whatever, getting more independent, I've just been thinking about how much I want to do in my life, and I don't know if I'll have the time to accomplish what I want to in life. It's a stupid fear logically, especially for a young person, but for some reason i just can't shake it, especially recently.[/size][/color][/font]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Kind of a vent? - May 20th 2023, 02:34 AM

I don't think this is a stupid fear at all! Everyone reacts to death differently, and I think wanting to accomplish certain things before death is valid. Some people create "bucket lists" of things they want to do before they die. They try to accomplish as many things on this list as they can, and they can add to it if they want to.

I can't say that you'll accomplish every single thing on your list, because it's hard to tell. But you can start by creating goals for yourself, whether they're small, medium, or large goals. Accomplishing the smaller goals will give you some of the confidence you need to work on the bigger goals, and also gives you something to achieve while you work towards those larger goals (for example if you need to save money or go to a new location to accomplish a goal).

Besides making a list of things you want to accomplish, keep track of things you HAVE accomplished. I bet you'll have a lot on that list, and that list will grow as you go through life and gain more experiences! It's something to remind you that everything isn't a waste, and that you've accomplished more than you think.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42 Points: 88,747, Level: 42

Re: Kind of a vent? - May 20th 2023, 06:05 AM

Dearing death isn't abnormal...a lot of people do. A lot of individuals wish to do more or regret not doing enough.

I agree with Ennui and making a bucket list. You can complete them as often as you can and it will give you a sense of achievement.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: Kind of a vent? - May 23rd 2023, 08:47 PM

I don't think this is a silly fear to have at all! Everyone has different views on death and it can definitely be scary to think about, regardless of your age. Since you mentioned being afraid to die before accomplishing and experiencing everything that you want to in life, perhaps you can make a list of what those goals are. From there, you can put them into separate categories or prioritization levels so you can determine what is most important for you to achieve. Once you have those goals lined up, you can start coming up with actionable steps that you can take in order for you to make those dreams a reality. Life is so expansive and there are so many opportunities, so having an idea of the things that you want to make happen and how to get yourself there could be extremely beneficial.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Trainer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Trainer Smith
Pronouns: Tairon

Points: 382, Level: 3 Points: 382, Level: 3 Points: 382, Level: 3

Re: Kind of a vent? - February 15th 2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, so I'm sorry if it's not, this has just been creeping up a lot in my mind lately. This is kind of a silly fear to have, I'm not old, but i've realized one of my biggest anxieties is dying before I do everything I want to do and finish all of the stories i want to tell. Like occasionally be lying in bed and thinking about it, and my stomach just sinks... I've always feared death, which I know is pretty natural, but in recent years, as I get older and start hitting more "adult milestones" or whatever, getting more independent, I've just been thinking about how much I want to do in my life, and I don't know if I'll have the time to accomplish what I want to in life. It's a stupid fear logically, especially for a young person, but for some reason i just can't shake it, especially recently.[/size][/color][/font]
Consider that you might be correlating this endlessly, which could be feeding your fear more. You must at some point work on detaching the fear from that sense of righteousness.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa
Pronouns: She / her

Points: 520, Level: 3 Points: 520, Level: 3 Points: 520, Level: 3

Re: Kind of a vent? - February 18th 2024, 04:01 PM

Hey, I know this is an old post and maybe youll never see this, but I wanted to answer anyway. That doesnt sound silly to me, its a valid fear you have. I really hope you get to make and tell those stories!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Millennial Assisting a Zoomer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Robert

Points: 148, Level: 1 Points: 148, Level: 1 Points: 148, Level: 1

Re: Kind of a vent? - February 19th 2024, 02:43 PM

Hello! I wanted to swing by and say what you’re feeling is common no matter what faith you follow, if any. Even I’ve been stricken with worries that I wouldn’t be able to read every book I’ve ever wanted to read in this lifetime.

Maybe your best approach here is, seeing as you’re not dead yet, to use the time you spend worrying to write down everything you could ever want. You may not like the first drafts of what you write, but at least it’ll be out of your head so you can concentrate on refining it as you see fit. I wish you well in what I hope will be a prosperous storytelling career!

Last edited by Colonel Knight Rider; February 19th 2024 at 08:53 PM.