TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lukelder Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,643, Level: 12 Points: 7,643, Level: 12 Points: 7,643, Level: 12

ARGH what do I do for work?Idk what kind of job I want.Help? - May 23rd 2012, 12:39 PM

Ive worked as a chef, and mechanic....I also am a advanced tennis player...But I really have no idea what to do,I woukld like to play tennis but am not sure if that is what I want,or maybe even coach.What do you do,or want to do in the future and why?your answer could really help me out!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Janie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Janie

Points: 7,468, Level: 12 Points: 7,468, Level: 12 Points: 7,468, Level: 12

Re: ARGH what do I do for work?Idk what kind of job I want.Help? - May 23rd 2012, 02:48 PM

I have no idea, being so young, I am just going with it tbh

Cause every moment,
we share together,
is even better,
than the moment before,
If every day was,
as good as today was,
then i can't wait until tomorrow comes,

Dream, Love and Fly <3
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39

Re: ARGH what do I do for work?Idk what kind of job I want.Help? - May 23rd 2012, 05:35 PM

How would talking about our goals help you with yours? Your situation is unique, as is everyone else's, so I feel the focus should remain on helping you sort through the pros and cons vs. taking a poll of sorts and seeing how everyone answers. =)

Now, there are lots of factors to consider. One would be practicality - is this something that would allow you to make a decent living, and are these jobs readily available? For example, just because you have fun playing tennis doesn't mean being a tennis coach will pay well, or that you'll even be able to find a job as a coach. Look into what it takes to become a successful tennis coach.

Another factor would be deciding whether you're looking for long-term job stability or a variety of job experiences. For example, are you looking to pick one job and stick with it for the rest of your life, or are you okay with being a tennis coach for a few years, then being something else for a few more years, and jumping around from career to career until you're older (ex. in your 30's)? Some careers require a longer time commitment than others (ex. going to college for additional training, slowly building a client base and good reputation), so think about what you want in a career right now, a few years from now, 10 years from now, 20 years from now, etc.

Yet another factor would be deciding what you value in a job. For example, I mentioned that you may not get paid well as a tennis coach - you may even be unemployed for extended periods of time, due to the economy and/or lack of demand for tennis coaches. If you value personal fulfillment over money, though, then being a tennis coach may still be appealing to you, despite the potential financial complications.

To sum things up, I feel it would help for you to get a sense of what you want to accomplish over the course of your life as far as jobs are concerned, and determine which jobs will help you achieve those goals. Weigh the pros and cons for each job opportunity (ex. salary, availability of jobs, time commitment to obtain job), and make your decision based on everything you've thought about.

Closed Thread