TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hoppka47 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,095, Level: 12 Points: 7,095, Level: 12 Points: 7,095, Level: 12

Stress about work!!! - May 30th 2012, 03:05 AM

Okay I have a problem and have with every job ive had. I always have a fear of getting fired when there probably isnt any way im going to get fired. For example I am currently living on my own and paying my own bills (so the importance of this job is increased), I work at a bike shop in which I have alot of knowledge for because I was a serious cyclist for a long time. The job is really laid back I love the staff and my manager is really easy going but als quiet. Im pretty sure im top sales person, and the other day one of the managers said to the boss 'your number 1 employee when referring to me'. However I still get crazy anxeity about losing my job. Now about 2 weeks ago I called in sick (was super super sick) I was super worried about it and my boss even overheard me saying to another employee that I was worried about calling in sick yesterday and said its not a big deal unless you werent sick. Well anyways for many reasons both responsible and not I am broke right now 1 dollar in my bank account and little food (lots o booze tho :P). anyways I get paid tomorrow night, but dont have the money to get on the bus to go to work. I just txtd around to my boss saying I was sick and got another employee to cover for me... his last txt was no problem. Get better! I am still super worried now.. I dont know if this worry is real. My problems are real I cant really get to work tomorrow, I am god awful tired, dont really have any food to bring to work tomorrow, but at midnight tomorrow I get a big paycheck and 100$ cash from a friend for a guitar so then Im good. SHOULD I BE WORRIED KNOCK SOME SENSE INTO ME
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39 Points: 77,329, Level: 39

Re: Stress about work!!! - June 2nd 2012, 03:26 AM

Welcome to TeenHelp! =)

There are reasonable and unreasonable worries. Having $1 in your bank account is a reasonable worry, because it means you don't have a safety net in case something goes wrong. Getting fired is an unreasonable worry, because there is absolutely no evidence that you will be fired (in fact, everything seems to be pointing to the contrary).

Do what you can to ease the sources of your worries, then leave the rest up to God, fate, or whatever you want to call it. Discover the things you can control, and the things you cannot control. One thing you can control is how much money you save each month by changing your spending habits - for example, not buying alcohol and other luxury items. One thing you can't control is what people in management do. One thing you can control is your work performance, and thus how much incentive you give management to keep you around. One thing you can't control (entirely) is whether or not you feel sick/ill.

Basically, knowing that you're in control can give you peace, because you'll know you have the power to change your circumstances. On the flip side, knowing that you're NOT in control can give you peace (in a sense), because you'll be able to accept the outcome and make changes from there (for example, in the unlikely chance that you are fired, you can accept that you can't control management, and you can accept that you will be able to find work again and live off your savings until you find work again).

Last edited by PSY; June 2nd 2012 at 03:33 AM.
Closed Thread