TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DedeTHESeed Offline
Not in use anymore.
Average Joe

Name: xxxxx

Points: 8,590, Level: 13 Points: 8,590, Level: 13 Points: 8,590, Level: 13

Unhappy Self Harmed at Work - July 28th 2013, 05:37 PM

Today, I felt depressed and I went to work - I work as a nurse in a major hospital.

In one of my duties I had to stitch up a person who self harmed, and I got really triggered seeing the deep cuts and blood. I noticed that she had heaps more all over her legs, arms and neck. I tried to keep my tears in but started crying so I got sent out and went to the store room..

I tried to calm myself by counting numbers or squeezing ice in my hands. But it didn't work.. I really needed to do something so I found the surgical blades and self harmed. I only did 2 medium/deepish cuts into my arm...

I felt better but I fainted in work, got sent home earlier than my usual work hours..

I feel shit and disgusted at myself
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I've been here a while

Name: Lauren

Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22

Re: Self Harmed at Work - July 28th 2013, 06:46 PM

Hey there,

I'm so sorry that you're going through this right now. It sounds like it was a really triggering situation, but you know what? I know you might have messed up and made a mistake, but you've just got to pick yourself up. It was a relapse, we all have them. I've had them too. They suck, but we can't dwell on them. We can't let self harm win. You are so much stronger than self harm, and I know you can get through this.

Does the staff at the hospital know why you started crying, and is there anyway you can talk to them about not seeing patients that are dealing with self harm since it's triggering you? I know it's part of your job, but if it's causing you to be hurt, it might be worth a shot to ask. I think if you opened up to them about it, they'd do everything they can to give you the support you deserve.

Have you tried any alternatives? I know at work it might be a little difficult, but maybe you can sit around people there at work, instead of by yourself so you feel less likely to self harm. Or is there someone that you can talk to at work when you feel bad, or a counselor/therapist that's available to you? I think talking about it might help as well.

I hope this helped a bit, please remember that we're always here to support you no matter what. Good luck and stay strong! Please feel free to send me a message if you ever want to talk as well. My inbox is always open.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pug girl!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bre :3

Points: 12,303, Level: 16 Points: 12,303, Level: 16 Points: 12,303, Level: 16

Re: Self Harmed at Work - July 29th 2013, 05:35 PM

Hey there, don't feel that way about yourself. We all have certain things that may trigger us, and at times we all relapse. The important thing here is that you realize this was wrong, and are doing something about it. Have you thought about maybe carrying an mp3 at work or something with music on it? That way if this happens again you can put your headphones in and listen to music to distract you. Or something of that nature..

The important thing to do is try and get your mind off the thing that is triggering you and back onto something positive. Take whatever makes you happy and apply that whenever you feel the need to self harm becoming strong. You can beat this and you will be fine I promise.<3 PMs are open if you ever need to talk. Stay strong!

LIVE HELP ASSOCIATE
08/07/14 Social Networking Team

She walks away the colors fade to grey. - Black Keys

Keep your head up, you're only one grey day away from sunshine.

10/15/2015- The day he came into my life and made it all okay.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Self Harmed at Work - July 29th 2013, 09:15 PM

Hey there,

I can understand why that triggered you but don't be too hard on yourself because we all have things like this happen. There are things in life that are triggering to each and every one of us and over time we are able to learn to deal with these triggers more and more effectively. I think you were caught off guard by what you saw which gave you even less time to deal with this triggering event. Hopefully in the future if this happens again you will be able to deal with this better because you will be more prepared. The thing to remember is that relapses happen to every single one of us but the most important thing is that you pick yourself up and try again.

Is there anyone you could talk to about what happened? A friend, a family member or another trusted person? I know that might be hard to do but talking to people about what happened might help you cope with the event and work on letting go of some of the feelings you have in regards to your reaction. I know when I react to something in a negative way I try and talk to people about.

I think it would also be good if you check out the Alternatives to Self Harm. It might be helpful for you to work on finding more alternatives to help you work on overcoming the urges that you have. I know that I have been looking at that list a bit more and it has been helping me in recovering from my self harm. The more healthy coping skills you are equipped with the better able you might be at dealing with triggering situations because you can change from one coping mechanism to another until the urge dies down.

I hope this helped and if you need anything please feel free to message me.
Closed Thread