TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

rant about school. - October 5th 2013, 02:56 AM

Yesterday and today have been really upsetting in terms of school. It just makes me question why I'm there in the first place. It feels like a waste of time sometimes because I come home stressed and close to tears.

Well first I have a group project. The project is to choose a play from the choices, watch the performance. Then each person writes about one aspect of the play (acting, costume, set design, written text etc). We have 6 members and it has to be 3-4 pages. That means each person does less than 3/4 of a page. However it's really hard to work with them. I asked them if we could try to get it done by Oct 3 (yesterday) because that's when the draft is due. It's optional but we'd get very useful feedback. The paper is due Monday. I saw the play last Sunday and finished my part. One other person also finished their part but you could tell there was no effort. So I was left with my part and his, and everyone else still haven't done it. I email those 2 parts to my professor. Then one group member finishes her part and sends it in separately. Why can't we just be cohesive.

Today I get an email from my professor saying that she's confused. She wants it to be in essay format, not loose paragraphs here and there. BUT we're being held back by the other group members.

My professor is also pretty frustrated with our class already....yesterday only me and one other person did the reading. A third person did only partial. She pretty much spent time lecturing us on behavior and expectations as a college student. It felt like I was back in elementary school. Not only that but when she asked a question for the people who DID do the reading, I raised my hand and tried to answer it, instead of telling me it's not what she was looking for or something respectful, she went on about how I was adding in all the wrong details and no one understands what I'm talking about because they haven't read. Well is it my fault they haven't read I hate when I try something, get it wrong and then get blamed for it.

The next thing was today in another class. I was taking notes as usual, but I do tend to doodle on the side margins sometimes. In truth it really really helps me with learning. It's not like I wasn't taking notes. I definitely was, even though he was simply going over the chapter we had to read, I was taking notes anyway. As he's talking to the class he stops and tells me "nice drawing" in a sarcastic tone. It was embarrassing because he did it in a sort of way as "I caught you, you should be ashamed of yourself and stop immediately"

Well guess what? It's MY learning experience, this is how I learn. I'm angry at the school system as it is. I'm already being told what to learn, now I have to be told how to learn it too!? At least he should have spoke to me after class if he was offended and I'd gladly explain and show him all my notes.

Now I feel so arrogant for saying this, because I can kinda see why it might bother someone (it's customary to not doing anything other than listen and take notes, because it's assumed that the student isn't paying attention) but it'd be nice if he didn't assume things and just asked me after class.

I was also in the front row, and I do participate when he throws a question to the class but he mostly runs the class very traditionally....as in he stands in front of the class and goes over what we already were supposed to read. When he asks a question, it's an information question not opinion, and not critical thinking. But I'm going to keep the criticism for myself. Some people text instead, in the back under their desks. I was in the front, listening, taking notes and drawing (while thinking about what he had just said), when he paused or when he wrote on the board, waiting for the class to copy it down, and I already had finished because I write quickly.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rockey Offline
Live Life While You Can
Not a n00b

Name: Justin

Points: 6,781, Level: 12 Points: 6,781, Level: 12 Points: 6,781, Level: 12

Re: rant about school. - October 5th 2013, 03:22 AM

Hey, Susan. I'm sorry about that. It seems as he is picking on you, when you're being the good student. School yes, is very hard.. But it's worth it in the wrong run. Maybe you should talk to him? Explain how the drawling helps and how you've been taking notes? Also, he seems like a real jerk. :| Good luck, Susan!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24 Points: 27,759, Level: 24

Re: rant about school. - October 6th 2013, 08:27 PM

I'm sorry to hear about the recent negative situations you've had to deal with the past few days/weeks. I learn in a different manner too. I'm more of a technology guy, so I use my phone or ipad to take notes; and sometimes was accused of not listening. But, I learned to use the professors office hours to my advantage. Most professors are mandated to have office hours. These hours are used to meet with students, and to maybe cover material in which confused students. Before the start of every semester I will meet with my professor, and I will tell them my habits. I will tell them I learn using technology, and that I am very excited to be in their class, etc. First impressions are everything, and telling the professor you are going to do something before you even do it is important.

Alot of the problems I see you having can be solved by communication. So maybe you need to be more verbal in your intentions (ie: telling professors about your note taking habits, telling people who are in your group to get things done on time or be forced to be on their own, etc). Remember, communication is key.

Best wishes,
Chris

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
— Malala Yousafzai
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: rant about school. - October 7th 2013, 03:03 AM

thanks guys. I think the part about speaking to the professor during office hours is a great idea. The only thing is that he doesn't have set office hours. He's not really a professor, rather a grad student doing a PhD and teaching at the same time, because it's required for his program. As for the group project, I told them again and again, but really it's not my choice who my members are and I can't choose to work by myself. We all get the same grade, the teacher aid doesn't care who did more or less, just about the outcome of 3-4 pages. It's now close to 11pm on sunday. It's due monday and they still haven't handed it in. Well we have 6 people and so far 4 did their part. 2 still didn't. Ugh.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: rant about school. - October 7th 2013, 05:35 AM

I've had my fair share of negative experiences with doc student instructors and bad group members (that's why I try to avoid them whenever possible unless I know the people). If someone doesn't have set hours, the best thing to do is e-mail them so they can have a time available. Most of the time they are available, you just have to ask. Group projects are horrible; and the larger the group, the worse it is. But, we all have to learn to work with people we don't necessarily know that well or like all that much. Treat this as a learning experience and next time, make sure that the others know where you're coming from and exactly what is required before things get confusing and people don't do stuff. Sometimes you'll have to nag people to get their part done, unfortunately it's just how it has to be.

I would suggest meeting with both of those professors if what they are saying/doing is upsetting you. They may not even know, or realize the impact they had.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread