TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Karen

Points: 10,137, Level: 14 Points: 10,137, Level: 14 Points: 10,137, Level: 14

Choosing The Right College Major - December 27th 2013, 06:13 AM

Since I am going to be a senior who has to worry about college and loads of exam on next July, I got this idea to write as an article. Most of the seniors in my school say they still have no idea on what to choose when they enter college. Their reasons are always circling around tuition fee, not knowing what they like, and fearing their choice will earn an all expense paid ticket of society embarrassment.

As far as how my research goes, I haven't found an article in TH regarding this. I might be wrong, though. I shall start working on the first draft later.

What do you think of this idea? Personally, I think it's a bit bland because sophomores and seniors in my place has been told about this repeatedly, but I think this is important and not many people know how to do it.

Articles Team Member // Buddy (20/01/2014 - 30/08/2014) // Associate HLM // Article Editor

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - December 28th 2013, 02:59 AM

I've gone through our old articles, and I can't find anything on this (that's not to say there isn't, but chances of me missing it are pretty low). We've got an article on choosing a college/university, but not a major - which was actually what I had the most trouble with. I picked my University in the space of about a day, but it took me over a year to decide a major. Before you start, though, you might like to consider the scope of your article. Is it just going to be for your area (in which case it could be specific, such as dates and deadlines) or in general (in which case, obviously, it would be more general itself)? It's up to you, either would be fine, just be clear about it before you start. Thanks for getting involved, and let me or Adam know if you need anything!

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - December 28th 2013, 03:14 AM

Just to make it easier, I think I'll go with the general scope because if I choose the Indonesia-specific scope, it will turn into on how to choose a college/uni, not major any more ^^"

Articles Team Member // Buddy (20/01/2014 - 30/08/2014) // Associate HLM // Article Editor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - December 28th 2013, 04:01 PM

I must admit that I know precisely nothing about this. I'm in a different education system and I'm a different age.

It sounds good though, and it'd be useful for me certainly to learn a bit more about this: if you want to get something drafted, that'll be wonderful. Like Chess said, if you need a hand, we're available.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - December 29th 2013, 09:53 AM

First draft! I might add some more info if I have lots of spare time to research.

Choosing The Right College Major
By KW (Sweet Rain ☆)

Graduating from high school is one of the biggest achievement worth celebrating. It means you are ready for the next step of your education. Preparing for university entrance exam and choosing where to study are not as easy as ABC. That applies to choosing what you are going to learn in college too. It is no longer a secret that university students commonly change their field of concentration in the middle of the year.

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, a fixed choice of major from the beginning is better due to the fact not all universities allow students to move to a different major before graduating.

So, what can you do to decide which major is the right one for you?

1. Look back to your high school years

This is usually used as a first step for some people to weigh their decision between several promising majors. All you need to do is ask yourself what lesson(s) you really liked back at high school.

Bear in mind that lessons you love are not always the ones you can easily get a sky high grade, although if you love that lesson you will automatically push yourself to do your best. This includes doing a test as well. Should you truly like a class, you may find yourself feeling energized and curious while learning or go to a deeper context about what you have learnt by looking up challenging questions related to the subject online. Perhaps you feel the need to know more about it.

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try thinking about the club or activity that pique your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club of your school, and you poured your heart out on your writings during club time.

2. Know your passion, talents, and hobbies

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who give it all they got in what they do. Here comes another self-questioning session. You need to know what you really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute for the better world with what you have after spending four years in college? If your answer is yes, then you are one step closer to a decision.

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment can be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, you love reading and you have a big collection of literary books ranging from time to time. Do you like doing something else and at times without you knowing it, time flies when you are occupied with your hobby? What have you achieved with your gift? Getting to know yourself is beneficial for your major deciding.

3. Find your personal values

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says so is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel. Go ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Is it in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose, there is no right or wrong answer. Also, ask yourself this question too: what are your plans after obtaining your bachelor's degree?

Finding a major that fits our personality and mindset is crucial to keep your determination alive while studying. You wouldn't want to feel out of place in your major before graduating, thus losing motivation before you reach the end of your studies. Choosing Applied Mathematics concentration is not for you if you are not in the analyzer category and you feel your logic cannot bind your creativity.

4. Don't let public opinions get to you

We grow up with society's doctrine about which majors are more prestigious. We have been forced to believe that if we enter a major that suits our heart's aspiration but not considered as one of the trending majors by society, we will end up poor and unemployed. Even if society says our major of choice is filled with people who are left behind, don't let it confuse your heart.

Choosing a prestigious major with expensive fees deluded by pride's ego is dangerous from many aspects. Psychologically, financially, and physically. If you choose the wrong major that your inner self does not want, then congratulations. You will make your parents spend a high amount of money for tuition fees in return of useless bachelor degree and a deprived or dropped out soon-to-be-graduate.

Whatever you have found in your heart, stick to it. Just because the public says otherwise of your choice, never let what they see as right get to you.

Now that you have known what to choose, have fun preparing your college application. College is only a once in a lifetime four years long experience, so make it memorable! Of course, the first step of making your university years more memorable is to be true to your heart about what you like and wish to study.

Last edited by Konohana Sakuya; December 30th 2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: I changed my username
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - December 29th 2013, 04:54 PM

Oh my God, you got your first draft up within a couple of days of posting the thread.

Seriously, thanks for being so prompt, and for a great-looking article. Edits!

By KW (Pearl_dullahanSweet Rain ☆)

Graduating from high school is one of the biggest achievements worth celebrating. It means you are readydenotes readiness for the next steplevel of your education. Preparing for a university entrance exam and choosing where to study areis not as easy as ABC[Adam: I'm not sure whether it might just be easier to say 'as easy as it first looks' or 'as easy as it sounds'?]. That applies to choosing what you are going to learn in college too. I; it is no longer a secret that university students commonly change their field of concentration in the middle of the year.

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, a fixed choice of major from the beginning is better due to the fact not all universities allow students to move to a different major before graduating.

1. Look back to your high school years

This is usually used as a first step for some people to weigh their decision between several promising majors. All you need to do is ask yourself whatwhich lesson(s) you really liked back at high school.

Bear in mind that lessons you love are not always the ones you can easily get a sky high grade, although if you love that lesson you will automatically push yourself to do your best. This includes doing a test as well.[Adam: I feel like this sentence could benefit from expansion.] Should you truly like a class, you may find yourself feeling energized and curious while learning or go to a deeper context about what you have learnt by looking up challenging questions related to the subject online. P - perhaps you feel the need to know more about it.

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try thinking about the club or activity that piqued your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club of your school, and you poured your heart out on your writings during club time.

2. Know your passions, talents, and hobbies

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives it all they gothave in what they do. Here comes another self-questioning session. You need to know what you really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute for the to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in college? If your answer is yes, then you are one step closer to a decision.[Adam: I'm slightly unsure about whether one must answer 'yes' to make a decision; surely any answer will get one closer to a decision, if any answers do? What aspirations don't contribute positively to the world somehow anyway?]

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment can be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, you love reading and you have a big collection of literary books ranging from time to timemany different eras. Do you like doing something else and at times without you knowing it, time flies when you are occupied with your hobby? What have you achieved with your gifttalents, and what do you hope to achieve?
Getting to know yourself is beneficial for deciding your major deciding.

3. Find your personal values

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says so is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel. Go aAsk yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Is it in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose, there is no right or wrong answer. Also, ask yourself this question too: what are your plans after obtaining your bachelor's degree?

Finding a major that fits your personality and mindset is crucial to keeping your determination alive while studying. You wouldn't want to feel out of place in your major before graduating, thus losing motivation before you reach the end of your studies. For instance, cChoosing Applied Mathematics concentration is not for you if you are not in the analyzer category and you feel your logic cannot bind your creativity.[Adam: I'm from a different country than the primary audience for this article, I know, but this last sentence was incredibly confusing to me. I presume a US audience would understand it better, but...the 'analyzer category' - what's that? etc.?]

4. Don't let public opinions get to you

We grow up with society's doctrine about which majors are more prestigious. We have been forced to believe that if we enter a major that suits our heart's aspiration but not considered as one of the trending majors by society, we will end up poor and unemployed. Even if society says our major of choice is filled with people who are left behind, don't let it confuse your heart.

Choosing a prestigious major with expensive fees deluded by pride's ego is dangerous from many aspects. Psychologically, financially, and physically. If you choose the wrong major that your inner self does not want, then congratulations. You will make your parents spend a high amount of money for tuition fees in return of useless bachelor degree and a deprived or dropped out soon-to-be-graduate.

Whatever you have found in your heart, stick to it. Just because the public says otherwise of your choice, never let what they see as right get to you.

[Adam: I found quite a lot of this a bit confusing and I'm not quite sure how much the almost political statements about society contribute to the article. Because my edits turned most of it orange, I decided to cut it out and rewrite it. If I'm missing something, and Chess disagrees with me, it's still there in red and can be reverted.]
Society can give a lot of ideas about which majors are 'the best' or most prestigious. It can even give the implication that choosing any majors other than the select popular few will leave you poorer or unemployed. Whilst it's important to be realistic about job prospects after college, it is unwise to choose a subject simply because it seems like something which can give a highly paid career, or because other people say it will suit you.
Weigh up the chances of success, and learn about something you have a passion for. Choosing a major which you don't really care about will mean that you have little enthusiasm, thus learning less effectively and being unwilling to use your qualification (if you manage to finish it at all) upon graduation.

Making this sort of peer-pressured choice is a mistake which can be costly financially, psychologically and physically, so it's incredibly important to avoid doing so.

Now thatOnce you have known what to choose, have fun preparing your college application. College is only a once in a lifetime four years long experience which lasts only four years, so make it memorable! Of course, the first step of making your university years more memorable is to be true to your heartself about what you like and wish to study.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13

Last edited by Adam the Fish; December 30th 2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Reflecting Username Changes
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - December 29th 2013, 11:37 PM

Like Adam, I am so happy you posted your thread quickly; thank you so much! It's people like you who make my job easier. I'll wait for you to respond to Adam's edits before I make my own, but for now I just have a minor concern, that being that I feel like you use 'college' and 'university' interchangeably, when they can actually be quite different. So, again, either be very specific (ie. just college) or more general (for example, you mention that college is four years, but that doesn't hold true for everywhere - my University degree is three years long, and my sister's was five, so some systems are obviously quite different).

I know all of Adam's colourful edits may be a little off-putting, but please don't let that deter you from continuing with the process. This is a really great first article, and we've got at least a month to work on it (and as it's your article you are of course allowed to reject any suggested edits), so please don't let Adam scare you off.

you're a werewolf."
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - December 30th 2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygy. View Post
I know all of Adam's colourful edits may be a little off-putting, but please don't let that deter you from continuing with the process. This is a really great first article, and we've got at least a month to work on it (and as it's your article you are of course allowed to reject any suggested edits), so please don't let Adam scare you off.
I shall just add to this, because I was a little concerned that I'd made it look too much like a bag of Skittles; it looks like there are more edits than there actually are because the majority of red/green is paired.

Skittlify me up...
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - December 30th 2013, 10:58 AM

Yeah I have to admit that my first draft looks like a big bag of Skittles or M&M's

I will get to my second draft when I am able to get my hands on my laptop

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - January 1st 2014, 09:04 AM

Here comes the second draft together with 2014! I just realised I have made lots of ambiguous sentences on the first draft, so I cut some sentences or... probably removed them.

By KW (Sweet Rain ☆)

Graduating from high school is one of the biggest achievements worth celebrating. It denotes readiness for the next level of your education. Preparing for a college entrance exam and choosing where to study are not as easy as it sounds. That applies to choosing what you are going to learn in college too ; it is no longer a secret that college students commonly change their field of concentration in the middle of the year.

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, a fixed choice of major from the beginning is better due to the fact not all colleges allow students to move to a different major before graduating.

Look back to high school years

This is usually used as a first step for some people to weigh their decision between several promising majors. All you need to do is ask yourself which lessons you really liked back at high school.

Bear in mind that lessons you love are not always the ones you can easily get a sky high grade, although if you love that lesson you will automatically push yourself to do your best. This includes doing a test as well when you like a lesson, you usually get good grades on that subject. Should you truly like a class, you may find yourself feeling energized and curious while learning or go to a deeper context about what you have learnt by looking up challenging questions related to the subject online - perhaps you feel the need to know more about it.

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try thinking about the club or activity that piqued your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club of your school, and you wrote with all of the creativity and passion you got during club time.

Know your passions, talents and hobbies

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives it all they have in what they do. Here comes another self-questioning session. You need to know what you really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in college?

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment can be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, you love reading and you have a big collection of literary books ranging many different eras. Do you like doing something else? What have you achieved with your talents, and what do you hope to achieve?
Getting to know yourself is beneficial for deciding your major.

Find your personal values

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says so is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Is it in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose, there is no right or wrong answer. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your bachelor's degree?

Finding a major that fits your personality and mindset is crucial to keep your determination alive while studying. You wouldn't want to feel out of place in your major before graduating, thus losing motivation before you reach the end of your studies. For instance, choosing Applied Mathematics concentration is not for you if you do not feel calculations and analysis are your forte.

Don't let public opinions change your choice

Society can give a lot of ideas about which majors are 'the best' or most prestigious. It can even give the implication that choosing any majors other than the select popular few will leave you poorer or unemployed. Whilst it's important to be realistic about job prospects after college, it is unwise to choose a subject simply because it seems like something which can give a highly paid career, or because other people say it will suit you.

Weigh up the chances of success, and learn about something you have a passion for. Choosing a major which you don't really care about will mean that you have little enthusiasm, thus learning less effectively and being unwilling to use your qualification (if you manage to finish it at all) upon graduation.

Making this sort of peer-pressured choice is a mistake which can be costly financially, psychologically and physically, so it's incredibly important to avoid doing so.

Once you know what to choose, have fun preparing your college application. College is a once in a lifetime experience which lasts only four years, so make it memorable! Of course, the first step of making your university years more memorable is to be true to your self about what you like and wish to study.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - January 6th 2014, 03:25 AM

This is random, but it may be good to add that if you have the option to not declare a major in the beginning (as many universities do), it's often advisable not to until you've really found one you love. Many schools have programs where you can take a variety of classes and explore until you find the major that works best for you, and it's good to take advantage if they do. A person with an undeclared major is not dumb; rather, they are waiting until they've truly found their passion. It also gives you time to learn more about the school and find other programs; for example, I'm a double major, and I may have declared my second major earlier if I would have known about it before I attended the university.

something burning?
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - January 6th 2014, 07:07 AM

Thank you for the suggestion! I shall take it into consideration. I will make the third draft perhaps this weekend or next week.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - January 14th 2014, 04:11 PM

How's this coming along, KW?

I can give the current draft an edit if you would like, but I don't want to do so if you'd rather get what Traci suggested into it first.

Skittlify me up...
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - January 27th 2014, 01:20 PM

Sorry for the late third draft! School's hectic schedules really caught me off guard, and now that my laptop is back from the service center, I have made the third edit!

By KW (Sweet Rain ☆)

Graduating from high school is one of the biggest achievements worth celebrating. It denotes readiness for the next level of your education. Preparing for a college entrance exam and choosing where to study are not as easy as it sounds. That applies to choosing what you are going to learn in college too.

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, a fixed choice of major from the beginning may be better due to the fact not all colleges allow students to move to a different major before graduating.

This is usually used as a first step for some people to weigh their decision between several promising majors. All you need to do is ask yourself which lessons you really liked back at high school.

Bear in mind that lessons you love are not always the ones you can easily get a sky high grade, although if you love that lesson you will automatically push yourself to do your best. This includes doing a test as well when you like a lesson, you usually get good grades on that subject. Should you truly like a class, you may find yourself feeling energized and curious while learning or go to a deeper context about what you have learnt by looking up challenging questions related to the subject online - perhaps you feel the need to know more about it.

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try thinking about the club or activity that piqued your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club of your school, and you wrote with all of the creativity and passion you got during club time.

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives it all they have in what they do. Here comes another self-questioning session. You need to know what you really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in university?

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment can be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, you love reading and you have a big collection of literary books ranging many different eras. Do you like doing something else? What have you achieved with your talents, and what do you hope to achieve?

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says so is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Is it in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose, there is no right or wrong answer. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your bachelor's degree?

Finding a major that fits your personality and mindset is crucial to keep your determination alive while studying. You wouldn't want to feel out of place in your major before graduating, thus losing motivation before you reach the end of your studies. For instance, choosing Applied Mathematics concentration is not for you if you do not feel calculations and analysis are your forte.

Wait for the right moment and don't rush!

This goes without saying, but you have the liberty to change your major in the middle of your studies. It may help you to regain a better insight regarding your passion as you try all the classes provided in your college. For some people, certain likings are prone to change. There is also another case for a number of people where choosing a major right away is not advisable.

However, not all colleges permit the students to do this. Before doing so, ask the staffs if you are allowed to explore classes and change majors before graduation. You can certainly try all the classes you are interested in or ask your fellow college student about their experiences in specific classes, only if you are allowed to.

Consider a double major

This may not apply to all colleges, but you can try double major if you have interest in not only one major. For instance, you may be majoring in English, but you are also interested in studying Japanese. If your college has double major system, you can consider majoring in both English and Japanese. Nevertheless, it is still advisable to ask as many questions as needed regarding double major in your college.

While studying two majors can be intriguing and challenging, you also need to take your ability to learn into account. Do not let the double major of your choice render you overwhelmed and depraved. Plan wisely, and remember that your life in college doesn't always revolve around studying. You can still explore anything that catches your interest outside college, be it looking for a part-time job or joining a club. You also need time to unwind yourself!

Once you know what to choose, have fun preparing your college application. College is a once in a lifetime experience which lasts only four years, so make it memorable! Of course, the first step of making your college years more memorable is to be true to your self about what you like and wish to study.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - February 9th 2014, 12:55 PM

This is really good article

By KW (Sweet Rain ☆)

Graduating from high school is one of the biggest achievements worth celebrating. It denotes readiness for the next level of your education. Preparing for a college entrance exam and choosing where to study are not as easy as it sounds. That applies to choosing what you are going to learn in college too.

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, a fixed choice of major from the beginning may be better due to the fact not all colleges allow students to move to a different major before graduating.

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try thinking about the club or activity that piqued your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club of your school, and you wrote with all of the creativity and passion you got during club timefrom attending the club.

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives it all they have in what they do. Here comes another self-questioning session. You need to know what you really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in university? [Jenny: Maybe talk about asking other people what your talents are?]

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment can be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, you love reading and you have a big collection of literary books ranging many different eras. [Jenny: Maybe link this example to a major you could do.] Do you like doing something else? What have you achieved with your talents, and what do you hope to achieve?

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says so is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Is it in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose, will be right for youthere is no right or wrong answer. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your bachelor's degree?

This goes without saying, but you have the liberty to change your major in the middle of your studies. It may help you to regain a better insight regarding your passion as you try all the classes provided in your college. For some people, certain likings are prone to change. There is also another case for a number of people where choosing a major right away is not advisable. Therefore you should take time to think about which major is right for you.

However, not all colleges permit the students to do this. Before doing so, ask the staffs if you are allowed to explore classes and change majors before graduation. You can certainly try all the classes you are interested in or ask your fellow college student about their experiences in specific classes, only if you are allowed to.

Consider a double major

This may not apply to all colleges, but you can try double major if you have interest in not only one major. For instance, you may be majoring in English, but you are also interested in studying Japanese. If your college has double major system, you can consider majoring in both English and Japanese. Nevertheless, it is still advisable to ask as many questions as needed regarding double major in your college.

While studying two majors can be intriguing and challenging, you also need to take your ability to learn into account. Do not let the double major of your choice render you overwhelmed and depraved. Plan wisely, and remember that your life in college doesn't always revolve around studying. You can still explore anything that catches your interest outside college, be it looking for a part-time job or joining a club. You also need time to unwind yourself!

Once you know what to choose, have fun preparing your college application. College is a once in a lifetime experience which lasts only four years, so make it memorable! Of course, the first step of making your college years more memorable is to be true to yourself [Jenny: Removed space between your and self.] about what you like and wish to study.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - February 9th 2014, 08:13 PM

Thanks for working on this, Jenny. I'll add my edits, then KW can look through it.

By KW (Sweet Rain ☆)

Graduating from high school is one of the biggest achievements worth celebrating. It denotes readiness for the next level of your education. Preparing for a college entrance exam and choosing where to study are not as easy as itthey sounds. That applies to choosing what you are going to learn in college too[Adam: Plug other articles.].

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try to thinking aboutof the clubs or activityies that piqued your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club of your school, and you wrote with all of the creativity and passion you got during club timefrom attending the club.[Adam: I'm not quite sure what meaning this is meant to convey, but could it be rephrased perhaps?]

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives it all they have in what they do. Here comes another self-questioning session. You need to know what you really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in university? [Jenny: Maybe talk about asking other people what your talents are?]

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment can be better[Adam: could be better looked after?]? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, if you love reading and you have a bigsizable collection of literary books ranging many different eras. [Jenny: Maybe link this example to a major you could do.] Do you like doing something else? What have you achieved with your talents, and what do you hope to achieve?

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says so is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Is it in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose, will be right for youthere is no right or wrong answer[Adam: I personally think I prefer the original.]. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your bachelor's degree?

This goes without saying, but you have the liberty to change your major in the middle of your studies. It may help you to regain a better insight regarding your passion as you try all the classes provided in your college. For some people, certain likings are prone to change. There is also another case for a number of people where choosing a major right away is not advisable. Therefore you should take time to think about which major is right for you.

Consider a double major

Once you know what to choose, have fun preparing your college application. College is a once in a lifetime experience which lasts only four years, so make it memorable! Of course, the first step of making your college years more memorable is to be true to your selfyourself about what you like and wish to study.

Skittlify me up...
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - February 10th 2014, 01:34 PM

Coming up next, the fourth draft, if I'm not mistaken? Thanks for the edits, Adam and Jenny! You guys are brilliant

By KW (Sweet Rain ☆)

Graduating from high school is one of the biggest achievements worth celebrating. It denotes readiness for the next level of your education. Preparing for a college entrance exam and choosing where to study are not as easy as they sound. That applies to choosing what you are going to learn in college too[Adam: Plug other articles.] [Karen: I am sorry, I am unsure about what this means].

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, a fixed choice of major from the beginning may be better due to the fact not all colleges allow students to move before graduating.

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try to think of the clubs or activities that piqued your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club of your school, and you enjoyed attending the club activities.

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives it all they have in what they do. You need to know what you really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in university? You can also consider asking other people what your talents are and see what they think.

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment could be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, if you love reading and you have a sizable collection of literary books ranging many different eras, English and any other foreign literature majors may fit you. Do you like doing something else? What have you achieved with your talents, and what do you hope to achieve? Getting to know yourself is beneficial for deciding your major.

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says so is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Is it in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose, will be right for you. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your bachelor's degree?

However, not all colleges permit the students to do this. Before doing so, ask the staff if you are allowed to explore classes and change majors before graduation. You can certainly try all the classes you are interested in or ask your fellow college student about their experiences in specific classes, only if you are allowed to.

Consider a double major

Once you know what to choose, have fun preparing your college application. College is a once in a lifetime experience which lasts only four years, so make it memorable! Of course, the first step of making your college years more memorable is to be true to yourself about what you like and wish to study.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - February 10th 2014, 04:19 PM

Sorry, just quickly, I meant that we could probably link to another article if we have one, which I think we may.

Skittlify me up...
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - February 11th 2014, 07:17 AM

Thanks for clarifying that, Adam! I think I get it now. I shall link the other article as soon as I am able to access my laptop.

Last edited by Konohana Sakuya; February 11th 2014 at 09:53 AM.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - February 23rd 2014, 04:02 AM

By Karen (Sweet Rain ☆)

Graduating from high school is one of the biggest achievements worth celebrating. It denotes readiness for the next level of your education. Preparing for a college entrance exam and choosing where to study are not as easy as they sound. That applies to choosing what you are going to learn in college too. "Which School is Right for You?" gives you insight on deciding the right school for you, so you can check the article out.

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, a fixed choice of major from the beginning may be better due to the fact not all colleges allow students to move before graduating.

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try to think of the clubs or activities that piqued your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club of your school, and you enjoyed attending the club activities.

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives it all they have in what they do. You need to know what you really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in university? You can also consider asking other people what your talents are and see what they think.

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment could be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, if you love reading and you have a sizable collection of literary books ranging many different eras, English and any other foreign literature majors may fit you. Do you like doing something else? What have you achieved with your talents, and what do you hope to achieve? Getting to know yourself is beneficial for deciding your major.

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says so is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Is it in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose, will be right for you. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your bachelor's degree?

However, not all colleges permit the students to do this. Before doing so, ask the staff if you are allowed to explore classes and change majors before graduation. You can certainly try all the classes you are interested in or ask your fellow college student about their experiences in specific classes, only if you are allowed to.

Consider a double major

Once you know what to choose, have fun preparing your college application. College is a once in a lifetime experience which lasts only four years, so make it memorable! Of course, the first step of making your college years more memorable is to be true to yourself about what you like and wish to study.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - April 4th 2014, 06:09 AM

Adam, any thoughts on this? We've been sitting on it for a while and I'd love to get it going again.

you're a werewolf."
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 19,331, Level: 20 Points: 19,331, Level: 20 Points: 19,331, Level: 20

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - April 15th 2014, 01:30 PM

By Karen (Sweet Rain ☆)

Graduating from high school is one of the biggest achievements worth celebrating. It denotes readiness for the next level of your education. Preparing for a college entrance exam and choosing where to study are not as easy as they sound. That applies to choosing what you are going to learn in college too. "Which School is Right for You?" gives you insight on deciding the right school for you, so you can check the article out.

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help them to discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, a fixed choice of major from the beginning may be better due to the fact not all colleges allow students to move before graduating.

This is usually used as a first step for some people to weigh their decision between several promising majors. All you need to do is ask yourself which lessons you really liked back at enjoyed in high school.

Bear in mind that lessons you love are not always the ones you can easily get a sky high grade in, although if you love that lesson you will automatically push yourself to do your best. This includes doing a test as well when you like a lesson, you usually get good grades on that subject.[Kyra: The wording is confusing, but it also feels contradicting to me because you just said you might not always get a high grade, and then you said you usually do. Should you truly like a class, you may find yourself feeling energized and curious while learning or going to a deeper context about what you have learnt by looking up challenging questions related to the subject online - perhaps you feel the need to know more about it.

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says soyou should is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Is it Would you rather workin a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose, will be right for you. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your bachelor's degree?

Society can give a lot of ideas about which majors are 'the best' or most prestigious. It can even give the implicationimplicate that choosing any majors other than the select popular few will leave you poorer or unemployed. Whilst it's important to be realistic about job prospects after college, it is unwise to choose a subject simply because it seems like something which can give a highly paid career, or because other people say it will suit you.

Consider a double major

This may not apply to all colleges, but you can try double major if you have interest in not onlymore than one major. For instance, you may be majoring in English, but you are also interested in studying Japanese. If your college has double major system, you can consider majoring in both English and Japanese. Nevertheless, it is still advisable to ask as many questions as needed regarding double major in your college.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - April 16th 2014, 08:40 AM

By Karen (Sweet Rain ☆)

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help them to discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, a fixed choice of major from the beginning may be better due to the fact not all colleges allow students to move before graduating.

This is usually used as a first step for some people to weigh their decision between several promising majors. All you need to do is ask yourself which lessons you enjoyed in high school.

Bear in mind that lessons you love are not always the ones you can easily get a high grade in, although if you love that lesson you will automatically push yourself to do your best. Should you truly like a class, you may find yourself feeling energized and curious while learning or going to a deeper context about what you have learnt by looking up challenging questions related to the subject online - perhaps you feel the need to know more about it.

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says you should is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Would you rather work in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose will be right for you. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your bachelor's degree?

Society can give a lot of ideas about which majors are 'the best' or most prestigious. It can even implicate that choosing any majors other than the select popular few will leave you poorer or unemployed. Whilst it's important to be realistic about job prospects after college, it is unwise to choose a subject simply because it seems like something which can give a highly paid career, or because other people say it will suit you.

This goes without saying, but you have the liberty to change your major in the middle of your studies. It may help you togain a better insight regarding your passion as you try all the classes provided in your college. For some people, certain likings are prone to change. There is also another case for a number of people where choosing a major right away is not advisable. Therefore you should take time to think about which major is right for you.

Consider a double major

This may not apply to all colleges, but you can try double major if you have interest in more than one major. For instance, you may be majoring in English, but you are also interested in studying Japanese. If your college has double major system, you can consider majoring in both English and Japanese. Nevertheless, it is still advisable to ask as many questions as needed regarding double major in your college.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - May 8th 2014, 05:14 PM

I've corrected a few things. I hope my edits are okay!

By Karen (Sweet Rain ☆)

This is usually used as a first step for some people to weigh their decision between several promising majors. All you need to do is ask yourself which lessons you enjoyed in high school.

Bear in mind that lessons you love are not always the ones you can easily get a high grade in, although if you love that lesson you will automatically push yourself to do your best. Should you truly like a class, you may find yourself feeling energized and curious while learning or going to a deeper context about what you have learnt by looking up challenging questions related to the subject online - perhaps you feel the need to know more about it.

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try to think of the clubs or activities that piqued your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club [color=red]of[color][/color=yellowgreen]at[/color[ your school, and you enjoyed attending the club activities.

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying about something just because someone else says you should is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Would you rather work in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose will be right for you. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your bBachelor's dDegree?

Finding a major that fits your personality and mindset is crucial to in keeping your determination alive while studying. You wouldn't want to feel out of place in your major before graduating, thus losing motivation before you reach the end of your studies. For instance, choosing Applied Mathematics concentration is not for you if you do not feel calculations and analysis are your forte.

Society can give a lot of ideas about which majors are 'the best' or most prestigious. It can even implicate that choosing any majors other than the select popular few will leave you poorer or unemployed. Whilst it's important to be realistic about job prospects after college, it is unwise to choose a subject simply because it seems like something which can give a highly paid career, or because other people say it will suit you.

Weigh up the chances of success, and learn about something you have a passion for. Choosing a major which you don't really care about will mean that you will have little enthusiasm, thus and will learning less effectively and being unwilling to use your qualification (if you manage to finish it at all) upon graduation.

This goes without saying, but you have the liberty to change your major in the middle of your studies. It may help you to gain Dez: I added a space here. a better insight regarding your passion as you try all the classes provided in your college. For some people, certain likings are prone to change. There is also another case for a number of people where choosing a major right away is not advisable.In some instances, choosing a major right away is not advisable. Therefore you should take time to think about which major is right for you.

However, not all colleges permit the students to do this. Before doing so, ask the staff if you are allowed to explore classes and change majors before graduation. You can certainly try all the classes you are interested in or ask your fellow college students about their experiences in specific classes, only if you are allowed to.

Consider a double major

This may not apply to all colleges, but you can try to double major if you have interest in more than one major. For instance, you may be majoring in English, but you are also interested in studying Japanese. If your college has adouble major system, you can consider majoring in both English and Japanese. Nevertheless, it is still advisable to ask as many questions as needed regarding double majoring in your college.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive

Last edited by Ennui.; May 8th 2014 at 05:32 PM.
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - May 11th 2014, 12:49 PM

Second time lucky, the site went down when I last tried posting this.

Thanks, Dez - Karen, do you want to make any other edits? I can't see a lot I want to change at the moment.

Skittlify me up...
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - August 17th 2014, 04:05 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! This is my final edit. You guys have been fantastic

By Karen (Dioramatic♤)

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help them to discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, choosing a major from the beginning may be better due to the fact not all colleges allow students to switch before graduating.

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try to think of the clubs or activities that piqued your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club at your school, and you enjoyed attending the club activities.

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives all they have in what they do. You need to know what you really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in university? You can also consider asking other people what your talents are and see what they think.

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying something just because someone else says you should is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Would you rather work in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose will be right for you. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your Bachelor's Degree?

Finding a major that fits your personality and mindset is crucial in keeping your determination alive while studying. You wouldn't want to feel out of place in your major before graduating, thus losing motivation before you reach the end of your studies. For instance, choosing Applied Mathematics concentration is not for you if you do not feel calculations and analysis are your forte.

Weigh up the chances of success, and learn about something you have a passion for. Choosing a major you don't really care about will mean that you will have little enthusiasm, will learn less effectively, and be unwilling to use your qualification (if you manage to finish it at all) upon graduation.

This goes without saying, but you have the liberty to change your major in the middle of your studies. It may help you to gain a better insight regarding your passion as you try all the classes provided in your college. For some people, certain likings are prone to change. In some instances, choosing a major right away is not advisable. Therefore, you should take time to think about which major is right for you.

However, not all colleges permit the students to do this. Before doing so, ask the staff if you are allowed to explore classes and change majors before graduation. You can certainly try all the classes you are interested in or ask your fellow college students about their experiences in specific classes.

Consider a double major

This may not apply to all colleges, but you can try to double major if you have interest in more than one major. For instance, you may be majoring in English, but are also interested in studying Japanese. If your college has a double major system, you can consider majoring in both English and Japanese. Nevertheless, it is still advisable to ask as many questions as needed regarding double majoring in your college.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - August 17th 2014, 04:32 PM

Thanks Karen. I've cleared up a couple of little formatting things and one spelling mistake, so here's the copy with those edits applied:

Choosing the right college major
By Karen (Dioramatic♤)

Moving from one major to another is not forbidden because for some people, it might help them to discover their passion and what they really wish to study. Nonetheless, choosing a major from the beginning may be better due to the fact not all colleges allow students to switch before graduating.

After that, remember what kind of clubs or organizational activities you have joined during your three years as a high school student. Try to think of the clubs or activities that piqued your interest. Maybe you used to be a member of the creative writing club at your school, and you enjoyed attending the club activities.

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives all they have in what they do. You need to know what you really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in university? You can also consider asking other people what your talents are and see what they think.

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment could be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, if you love reading and you have a sizeable collection of literary books ranging many different eras, English and any other foreign literature majors may fit you. Do you like doing something else? What have you achieved with your talents, and what do you hope to achieve? Getting to know yourself is beneficial for deciding your major.

The next step is to discover what you really wish to obtain from learning in a major. What motivates you to gain more knowledge regarding a certain major is also important for choosing your future. Studying something just because someone else says you should is a jeopardy for your motivation fuel because not everyone's suggestions will match your interests. Ask yourself what your dream job is, and what kind of working methods you prefer. Would you rather work in a team or by yourself? Whatever you choose will be right for you. Also ask yourself this question: what are your plans after obtaining your Bachelor's Degree?

Finding a major that fits your personality and mindset is crucial in keeping your determination alive while studying. You wouldn't want to feel out of place in your major before graduating, thus losing motivation before you reach the end of your studies. For instance, choosing Applied Mathematics concentration is not for you if you do not feel calculations and analysis are your forte.

Weigh up the chances of success, and learn about something you have a passion for. Choosing a major you don't really care about will mean that you will have little enthusiasm, will learn less effectively, and be unwilling to use your qualification (if you manage to finish it at all) upon graduation.

This goes without saying, but you have the liberty to change your major in the middle of your studies. It may help you to gain a better insight regarding your passion as you try all the classes provided in your college. For some people, certain likings are prone to change. In some instances, choosing a major right away is not advisable. Therefore, you should take time to think about which major is right for you.

However, not all colleges permit the students to do this. Before doing so, ask the staff if you are allowed to explore classes and change majors before graduation. You can certainly try all the classes you are interested in or ask your fellow college students about their experiences in specific classes.

Consider a double major
This may not apply to all colleges, but you can try to double major if you have interest in more than one major. For instance, you may be majoring in English, but are also interested in studying Japanese. If your college has a double major system, you can consider majoring in both English and Japanese. Nevertheless, it is still advisable to ask as many questions as needed regarding double majoring in your college.

Skittlify me up...
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - August 18th 2014, 11:30 AM

Thank you, Adam! God, reposting that through mobile was a pain

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - September 6th 2014, 10:21 AM

I promise this is the fixed final draft with no more typos and stuff. Credits to Adam for the edits!

By Karen (Dioramatic♤)

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment could be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, if you love reading and you have a sizeable collection of literary books ranging many different eras, English and any other foreign literature majors may fit you. Do you like doing something else? What have you achieved with your talents, and what do you hope to achieve? Getting to know yourself is beneficial for deciding your major.

Consider a double major

(#30 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - September 8th 2014, 07:32 PM

This is a really good article, I only have a few edits.

By Karen (Dioramatic♤)

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives all they have in what they subject they do. You need to know what you would really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in university? You can also consider asking other people what your talents are and see what they think.

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment could be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, if you love reading and you have a sizeable collection of literary books ranging many different eras, then English and any other foreign literature majors may fit you. Do you like doing something else? What have you achieved with your talents, and what do you hope to achieve? Getting to know yourself is beneficial for deciding your major.

Consider a double major

Once you know what to choose, have fun start preparing your college application. College is a once in a lifetime experience which lasts only four years, so make it memorable! Of course, the first step of making your college years more memorable is to be true to yourself about what you like and wish to study.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - September 27th 2014, 11:10 AM

Karen, if you'd be able to quickly say whether you want to accept any of Jenny's three edits, this is done, I think.

Skittlify me up...
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - September 27th 2014, 02:16 PM

Oh my gosh, I forgot about this I accept the edits, of course!

By Karen (Dioramatic♤)

You may have heard this classic quote: "Follow your passion, and success will follow you." As cheesy as it sounds, this proves to be true for everyone who gives all they have in what subject they do. You need to know what you would really like to do and what you are good at. Do you wish to contribute to a 'better world' with what you have after spending four years in university? You can also consider asking other people what your talents are and see what they think.

Are you constantly thinking about how the world's environment could be better? Do you collect something related to your interest? For instance, if you love reading and you have a sizeable collection of literary books ranging many different eras, then English and any other foreign literature majors may fit you. Do you like doing something else? What have you achieved with your talents, and what do you hope to achieve? Getting to know yourself is beneficial for deciding your major.

Consider a double major

Once you know what to choose, start preparing your college application. College is a once in a lifetime experience which lasts only four years, so make it memorable! Of course, the first step of making your college years more memorable is to be true to yourself about what you like and wish to study.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Choosing The Right College Major - October 5th 2014, 11:25 PM

This article has now been published.

you're a werewolf."
Closed Thread