TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18

I really don't want to work there anymore - April 6th 2014, 04:06 AM

I currently work 2 jobs now. I've been working part-time at a personal care home for over a year and I'm fine with working every other weekend for it. Well, a couple weeks ago I was down on myself and didn't want to pursue Nursing anymore and decided to switch my major to Healthcare Management in college. I believe it's a better fit for me.

At the time, I thought I was going to lose my financial aid, but it turns out I'm not losing any at all. But, while I was thinking that I was going to lose the money, my friend told me about a part-time Sales Associate position at RadioShack and so I thought I should just apply and go for it because I "needed" the money. Of course, anybody could use extra money, but I don't really need a second job now. My personal care home job is fine with me.

I already turned down my friend the first time about the position when I said I would try it out and then after second thoughts, I told him I would actually apply. So, I did and because he's close with the hiring manager, he vouched for me. I went to a group interview and I ended up getting the job.

I have to go through training now to learn about all these electronics especially cell phones since that's what RadioShack's best sell is. But, I really don't want to continue with this job any further. I don't really know what to tell my friend, the manager, etc. I already posted on Facebook that I got the job and a lot of my friends/family know about my "success" in getting the job. What should I do? How do I end it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11 Points: 6,460, Level: 11

Re: I really don't want to work there anymore - April 6th 2014, 05:59 PM

You have three options:

(1) Stick it out and work there;
(2) Try it out for a little bit, and then quit;
(3) Tell the manager that you are no longer interested prior to starting your job

To me, it seems like you really want to select the third option, but are worried about the repercussions of your decision; mainly, how it'll look to other people. I'd talk to your friend about it, and explain the situation. If he's a good friend, he'll understand how you feel, and work with you to try to mitigate any damage that was done. As for other people on Facebook, who cares about what they think? I guarantee that most of them will probably forget about this job in a week or so (except those who are close to you). And, for those who are close to you, surely they will understand why you didn't end up pursuing the opportunity.

Ultimately, you need to do what you feel is best for you. If you don't want to work at Radio Shack, you're probably not going to be an excellent employee. Why would you risk enduring bad reviews from your manager, due to a lack of performance - for whatever reason - simply because you've already told people that you're working there? People change their minds all the time; it's a natural part of life. Besides, this is only a part-time job; it's really not a big deal. You'll probably never work at Radio Shack again, so why does it even matter?

I can see how you may be worried about dealing with your friend, who has gone out of his way to help you get a job there. Be honest with him, and explain that you won't enjoy the job/don't have time/any other reason. Like I said, if he's a true friend, he'll understand. Besides, I'm sure they can just hire one of the other applicants who interviewed with you. Trust me, retail stores are in no shortage of hiring part-time workers. I really wouldn't think too much into it, if I were you.

I'm not sure how long your school year goes but, perhaps another alternative is to ask them if you can post-pone your start date until after you finish your school year. This way, you'll have a lot more time on your hands to potentially work both jobs. You can gauge whether or not you enjoy the job after a month or so and, if you don't like it, the opportunity to exit still exists.

Ultimately, do what you feel is best for you - and don't worry about what everyone else says. You're the one who will be working in the job, so it's your decision.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: I really don't want to work there anymore - April 6th 2014, 08:56 PM

Why do you have to leave the home health aide job? I know a lot of nursing assistants who are not interested in nursing.

Also, I would just be honest about the job.
Closed Thread