TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
wolvesfan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Matt

Points: 6,468, Level: 11 Points: 6,468, Level: 11 Points: 6,468, Level: 11

college, what do I do? (from the UK) - November 13th 2014, 11:34 AM

Hi, I've been thinking about college recently and I don't think this is what I want, I love doing what I do but I don't want to grow to hate it. I'm only 17 so I don't think I can drop out. Am I able to take time off to review it to see what I want? Any help is appreciated
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Points: 12,776, Level: 16 Points: 12,776, Level: 16 Points: 12,776, Level: 16

Re: college, what do I do? (from the UK) - November 13th 2014, 06:09 PM

Hiya, I'm at sixthform at the moment!

So a girl in my year decided to take some time out and look for an apprenticeship which was allowed. I am struggling myself with sixthform, it is so hard and I've heard college is too but it will be so worth it if you stuck it out. It just depends what you want for your future!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: college, what do I do? (from the UK) - November 13th 2014, 08:54 PM

Hey Matt,

You may be able to drop out, if you have something else lined up. It’s best to talk to your tutors about it.

Is there something in particular that you don’t particularly like about college? Or is it just not living up to your expectations? If college isn’t for you, there are other options, depending on what you are studying and what you want to do in life. You could do apprenticeships in some subjects, so you would be learning on the job.

Since you love what you are doing, I’m wondering if it’s best to stick with it, and try to think about how you could make your experience more enjoyable. As Emily said, it also does depend on what you want to do in the future. If there are other options for what you are studying that would lead you to the same or similar career in the future, it may be a good idea to look into those. Otherwise, it may be a case of, if you drop out of college, would this harm your future chances of a particular career?

I think it would be a good idea for you to set aside some time, to review your options and plan where to go from here. And talk to your tutors too.

Best wishes!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
Closed Thread