TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
claiot14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,134, Level: 10 Points: 5,134, Level: 10 Points: 5,134, Level: 10

My teacher saw cuts, told my school counsler?? - February 25th 2015, 03:50 AM

So in math class, my teacher was helping me with homework and my sleeve must have slipped or something. She pulled me aside after class and asked me what happened to my arm, am I ok, and told me she would have to tell my guidance counselor. I have talked to my guidance counselor before about my cutting, and my parents know that I have cut myself before, but they think that I have stopped. I'm scared because I know my guidance counselor will find me and talk to me. He has called my mom in the past and told her what was going on. My mom reacted poorly the first time, yelled at me "DO YOU JUST WANT ATTENTION!!! DO YOU WANT TO BE PUT IN EASIER CLASSES AND THATS WHY YOU TOLD YOUR GUIDANCE COUNSELOR?!!!" What the h*** mom, that doesn't make any f***ing sense. So I know tomorrow though my guidance counselor is going to talk to me and call my mom. They have to by law. Any advice??? I'm terrified right now.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
kadynspell22 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kadyn

Points: 5,455, Level: 10 Points: 5,455, Level: 10 Points: 5,455, Level: 10

Re: My teacher saw cuts, told my school counsler?? - February 25th 2015, 06:49 PM

I went through a similar situation when I was talking to my counselor about my transgender "issues."
I wouldn't worry about the situation at hand right now, just talk to your counselor when he calls you in. Are the cuts fresh?
Your parents are aware of you cutting in the past? What I would do is just talk to your mother. Mine thought it was for attention too, but I talked to her about how I felt and everything. Just talk to your mother. She's there to protect you.

"But our love it was stronger by far than the love
Of those who were older than we-- "
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: My teacher saw cuts, told my school counsler?? - February 25th 2015, 07:58 PM

Hi there,

I understand why you're frightened right now. Having people know about your self-harm can be hard.

Parents are from a different generation and usually lack education and they generally don't react well. You might be able to show her some articles or anything you find informative that can help her. If your guidance counselor does tell your mom, maybe you can tell him that she doesn't have the best reactions and ask for some tips as to how to handle that. Keep in mind that your mom will probably need some time to think things through, and if she is angry it is likely that she is angry at the situation you're in and not at you. You and your mom might benefit if you both go in to see your counselor at the same time so that's something to take into consideration.

When I was in school I was often reported for self-harm a lot but there was an instance when it was not reported because my parents and the school were already aware of this. Maybe you can tell your guidance counselor that your mom is aware of what you're going through and see if that does anything to help.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: My teacher saw cuts, told my school counsler?? - February 26th 2015, 02:20 AM

Hey there,

I would suggest that you talk to your counselor about your moms reaction and see if he can give you some advice on how to deal with it. Parents have all sorts of reactions to this and I am sorry your mom reacted poorly but remember that you deserve to get help for this. I would also suggest that you look up some information about self harm and print it out for your mom. The more informed she is about the issue the better able she will be at supporting you. Hopefully if she gets some information she will read through it and realize that you are not seeking attention but are struggling with things and this is your coping mechanism. Sometimes it takes parents a while to grasp this fact. So, she might have reacted poorly the first time but it might sink in a bit better this time. You honestly never know what can happen.

I am wishing you the best of luck and if you need anything please feel free to message me.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
claiot14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,134, Level: 10 Points: 5,134, Level: 10 Points: 5,134, Level: 10

Re: My teacher saw cuts, told my school counsler?? - February 26th 2015, 03:14 AM

Thanks everyone, that really helped, I think I'm going to print off some articles for my mom
Closed Thread