TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Applying to grad school - June 4th 2015, 12:50 AM

Has anyone here applied (and hopefully gotten into) to grad school in a subject that is very different from their undergrad studies? If so I have some questions for you

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Applying to grad school - June 5th 2015, 09:10 PM

I haven't gotten in, but I've done enough research that I may know the answer to some of your questions.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Applying to grad school - June 5th 2015, 09:53 PM

I've been through the process once and will very likely be going through it again, but both degrees were very related to my undergrad. The most important thing is to research the requirements and make sure you meet them or find a way to. You can even contact a program and tell them what you have or ask what you would need. It really depends on what the degree is in.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14

Re: Applying to grad school - June 8th 2015, 12:45 PM

I suspect I'm the wrong country, but I started in undergrad engineering, finished with undergrad arts, then teaching, then maths/science teaching, then guidance counselling, now back for more psychology. So a bit of experience as well

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: Applying to grad school - June 10th 2015, 04:25 AM

My undergrad is computer science, and my intended grad program is in the social sciences. I wasn't able to complete any proper social science courses during my undergrad, and I've written a total of two papers that I could give as formal writing samples. I'm wondering if it would make more sense to just go back and do another undergrad or try applying for masters but accept that I won't be able to get into the more competitive / well-funded ones. There's the thought that even if I need to do a less competitive masters program and use that to apply to a more competitive one, in the bigger picture, two masters still looks nicer than two undergrads.

Also no such thing as wrong country I'm aiming to go to Europe but open to any possibility really.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Applying to grad school - June 10th 2015, 04:56 AM

In some cases if you don't have the undergrad work you can somehow arrange to take the extra courses anyway. They usually only require 3 or 4 and a community college would probably offer them.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Applying to grad school - June 13th 2015, 04:29 AM

The great thing about social sciences is that many are very flexible and actually like seeing variety in undergrad majors, as it brings a lot to the field. My field (public health) LOVES seeing the engineering and hard science majors get involved, so depending on the program, computer science may be actually a good major. My only concern would be pre-reqs, but many can be accomplished in community college so I wouldn't go back for another undergrad, just get these taken care of for cheap and use your computer science as a tool!

Hit me up if you have any questions! I'll be master's candidate in the fall, I applied for four universities and did the whole GRE thing (took no subject tests, but I can help look into them for you!), I know a bit about the psychology master's/PhD process, so let me know!

something burning?
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Applying to grad school - June 13th 2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiraeth View Post
My undergrad is computer science, and my intended grad program is in the social sciences. I wasn't able to complete any proper social science courses during my undergrad, and I've written a total of two papers that I could give as formal writing samples. I'm wondering if it would make more sense to just go back and do another undergrad or try applying for masters but accept that I won't be able to get into the more competitive / well-funded ones. There's the thought that even if I need to do a less competitive masters program and use that to apply to a more competitive one, in the bigger picture, two masters still looks nicer than two undergrads.

Also no such thing as wrong country I'm aiming to go to Europe but open to any possibility really.
Going to get a second undergrad is not always as easy as it sounds. I was thinking about this- until I realized that my state has an extra tuition law for those who exceed a certain number of hours (which you would if you were getting a second degree). Also, many schools do not like you to get second bachelor's and will give such students last pick when choosing classes- it is pretty unfair but true.

In any case- for some fields , it can be hard to get into a master's program if you are missing the upper level classes for that field. Im not sure about social sciences but it is the case in a lot of fields.Undergrad usually finishes with you doing upper level study- while master's is all upper level. So you are almost expected to have at least taken most of the first semester senior level courses.

I know all this because I am in a similar situation - wanting to go to grad school in something that wasn't my major in college.

If a 4 year is near you, you could maybe apply as non-degree seeking and take some classes until you have enough to get into good master's programs.

Good luck

Last edited by Proud90sKid; June 13th 2015 at 06:13 AM.
Closed Thread