TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Arion Offline
Arion
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Arion

Points: 6,955, Level: 12 Points: 6,955, Level: 12 Points: 6,955, Level: 12

I've been trying so hard to start a team at my school... - April 7th 2017, 04:27 AM

I've wanted to be dance team captain for years. I was on a dance team and on my way to captain but family got in the way of that.. not for reasonable reasons... the school I'm currently at doesn't have a traditional Texas dance team (drill team). So I decided to create one for the school. I got all the paper work done ahead of time, flyers, uniform designs, order forms, physicals, etc. You need a sponser and 12 people. I got a sponser.. But I'm having trouble getting 12 people.. the sponser scared a lot of people away due to comments she has made that have made members uncomfortable that have left. I would also try to recruit new people but she seems to be in the way of the process of hanging up flyers, announcments, meetings, etc. When I can get them done very quickly to help start before the year ends. It would be hard to find another sponser, it has to be a teacher, but also she was a cheer coach and cheer and dancer are very different so I feel like the team would need someone with dance insight and understands that dance is not cheer...

I'm starting to give up on my dream and think that what I've worked for.. for about 6 years is not ment to be...

Any tips on recruiting new people/students to help get it started, and convincing another teacher to sponser?

Also.. do you think the current sponser would take it the wrong way if I were to get a new sponser even if its better for the team?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount39

Edit avatar

Re: I've been trying so hard to start a team at my school... - April 7th 2017, 04:46 PM

Hey there Arion!

First off, it's awesome that you're doing this! I know how tricky it is to start a new organization or club at school, so kudos to you for pursuing something that you love to do!

To recruit students you should try putting up flyers around school, making an announcement (if possible), or putting information in your school's newspaper or newsletter. Sometimes it can be hard to get others involved just because they simply don't know about it! Another idea that could help you grow the club is to recruit students who will be coming to your school next year (such as the incoming freshman!). They're often looking for ways to get involved and you can emphasize the fact that they're going to not only be a member of this team, but get to help build it from the ground up!

As for finding another teacher to sponsor this team I don't think it would be considered rude to turn to another if the turn out would be better. If you're worried about it, maybe talk to the teacher who has agreed to sponsor you and ask if she'd be all right with having a co-sponsor, and take it from there. It can be helpful to have multiple perspectives, and sometimes different personalities just click. If you explain to the current sponsor that you truly believe it'd be best for the team, I don't think that she would be offended by finding another sponsor.

Best of luck!

Erin
Closed Thread