TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Viky Offline
Average Joe

Name: Victoira

Points: 10,023, Level: 14 Points: 10,023, Level: 14 Points: 10,023, Level: 14

College questions - February 12th 2012, 09:20 PM

i've been meaning to post these questions for a long time because my parents won't tell me. I don't understand why but they won't. Anyways I'm looking at Capital University for college and i have a feeling I'm going to graduate early from high school with the chance to take free classes over at our community college. However I don't know what classes I'll need to graduate at Capital as far as things like math and science go. I'm planning to major in Art Therapy and I know the classes I need for that but I've been told I need to take certain math classes and such as well. I don't really know how to word this if you couldn't tell but like what would those other classes be that I would need to take to graduate from there or how could I find out? Like I could call them... but i would need a better way to phrase this because other wise i will sound like an idiot

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: College questions - February 13th 2012, 12:29 AM

Every college has something known as "General Education Requirements." That means that no matter what your major is everyone has to take these classes. Generally these go for all the schools in the state, at least those that are public institutions. Private ones may have classes that are the equivalency of a course if they don't offer it, but the state still mandates education requirements.

What I recommend doing is talking to a community college advisor about what classes are requirements for everyone. Take those classes first so you get them out of the way; plus, you want to take advantage of free classes. Also ask the community college about courses that would transfer to Capital. They should have a list of that if the Capital is in there area. If not (especially if it's out of state), you need to communicate with both schools about what transfers and what doesn't.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: College questions - February 13th 2012, 03:55 AM

Hey Vicky, those are known as general education or core requirements and you can usually find them somewhere on the school's website (usually under academics somewhere) or by asking someone like your guidance counselor or academic advisor at the community college.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15

Re: College questions - February 13th 2012, 03:13 PM

Like said above, they can usually be found on the school's site under academics. Just go to your intended major, and most schools will give a general schedule for the major, or it'll be in a class catalog if they have it online.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Viky Offline
Average Joe

Name: Victoira

Points: 10,023, Level: 14 Points: 10,023, Level: 14 Points: 10,023, Level: 14

Re: College questions - February 13th 2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Every college has something known as "General Education Requirements."

What I recommend doing is talking to a community college advisor about what classes are requirements for everyone. If not (especially if it's out of state), you need to communicate with both schools about what transfers and what doesn't.
Thank you! that helps a lot! and yeahhhh it's out of state so I'll have to see what i can do.
On the website there was a place where it had the GER and i wrote down the URL but now that page is no longer up which is why i was thinking of contacting the school. either way. Thank you for you help, all three of you

Closed Thread