TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Silly tattoo questions - October 14th 2012, 11:25 AM

Hey guys,

I've recently come up with an idea for a tattoo. I'm not 100% on it nor do I have any money, so I'm not at any time soon going to run out and get it. But that's good-more time to work out logistics!

This tattoo would be song lyrics from one of my favorite songs connected into a small sketch. It's kind of hard to explain, but it would not be very large, it would basically cover the side of my right foot, no larger than something like this (although not this design, just showing size):

So I have a few questions. First of all, how do you get your idea from your brain down onto paper or something if you do not have any artistic ability? Like, how do you tell them what you want if you can't draw it for them? Should I get a friend to make a sketch out for me, I'm just not sure how to do this without having a sketch made or something.

On that note, if anybody can draw, want to draw my tattoo idea?

Second, on a more serious note, I'm really wondering if it's the right move in a realistic sense. Will I be taken seriously as a student/employee if they find out I have a tattoo? Yes, I can hide it, but if it comes down to a point where they find out, can this get me fired from jobs? I'm not asking if it's RIGHT, I'm not asking "in a perfect world," I'm asking: In the modern day workplace, would this be a crutch? Work has to be priority for me since, well, I kind of need to make a living.

Alright, thank you my lovely TeenHelp tattoo advocates!

something burning?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Silly tattoo questions - October 14th 2012, 03:59 PM

When I got my tattoos that are words, I actually just typed it up in a Word document and then played around with fonts for awhile. I even Googled some just to be sure I was content with the one I had chosen. You can then print that out and the artist can actually make a stencil out of it.
Business employers will have no problem with it since it isn't going to be visible. Today employers are actually becoming more lenient with tattoos than they were before just because more and more people are beginning to get one. One on your foot isn't going to hinge your chances at employment so if you want it then go for it.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Silly tattoo questions - October 14th 2012, 04:23 PM

While its subjective, foot tattoos are one of the most painful. Not to mention, not all tattoo artists will do foot tattoos as they tend to, over time, rub off becuase of shoes. So because there is the probability of it rubbing off, wearing or fading in some or all of the tattoo, artists choose not to do this. So you need to talk to the artist about it. As sugested above, all you need to do is type it up in the font that you want and print it out. I know the artist that I used had a computer there with tons of fonts to pick out what you like. But coming prepared is always best. As for not being takin seriously or professionally, yes it may affect your career if it is visible. But, it really just depends. Tattoos are much more accepted these days. I have professors who are experts in their fields with visable tattoos. It really just depends.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,638, Level: 15 Points: 11,638, Level: 15 Points: 11,638, Level: 15

Re: Silly tattoo questions - October 14th 2012, 06:06 PM

Like above talk with an artist who will do you tattoo and see what they say. They can usually help draw something up if you want something or find a picture on google. Mess around with fonts till your for sure.

I have one on both of my wrists and i cover them up while at work because it is a policy because the company is so traditional. I have yet to have any issues other than asked to cover them up.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16

Re: Silly tattoo questions - October 14th 2012, 07:32 PM

As for the workplace tattoo: Unless the job deals with being barefoot Then it shouldn't be a big deal. As long as the symbol isn't gang related and you try to work for the Government. As long as its not visible with a T-shirt and shorts on. Then its no one's business to not hire you for it. If you go out and get YOLO on your forehead, then you're working for Hot Topic for the rest of your life.

The Tattoo Artist will sketch what he determines to be your 'idea' in your head, and you can choose if you like it or not before he starts inking your skin,

Also remember that foot tats are the most painful due to the sensitivity of feet and that they will fade a little due to shoes. However the more ink the better I say!

Happy Hunting!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Siren❤ Offline
Average Joe

Name: ILH♡

Points: 8,186, Level: 13 Points: 8,186, Level: 13 Points: 8,186, Level: 13

Re: Silly tattoo questions - October 25th 2012, 11:34 AM

I like this design! It looks easier to hide than a lot of tattoos (for work and employment) too. I will warn you though, foot tattoos I hear can be quite painful.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Silly tattoo questions - October 26th 2012, 01:55 AM

That's not quite the design, that's size and placement. I've heard foot tattoos are painful, however, I'd never heard about the ink thing. That is something to take into consideration. The pain thing, I have a pretty good pain tolerance, I had no problem with my piercings, but I'll also take it into account.

something burning?
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Siren❤ Offline
Average Joe

Name: ILH♡

Points: 8,186, Level: 13 Points: 8,186, Level: 13 Points: 8,186, Level: 13

Re: Silly tattoo questions - October 26th 2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece View Post
That's not quite the design, that's size and placement. I've heard foot tattoos are painful, however, I'd never heard about the ink thing. That is something to take into consideration. The pain thing, I have a pretty good pain tolerance, I had no problem with my piercings, but I'll also take it into account.
Oh sorry, my mistake! I like the size and placement a lot! it's not too in-your-face, and looks quite classy compared to some foot tattoos I have seen on websites like Tumblr. :P
My friend told me that the pain a foot (side) tattoo was the worst she'd had out of the three small to medium tattoos she has... but she feels it was definitely worth it.
Plus, tattooists are usually very reassuring about the pain (I find with the three I have), and normally don't mind taking a break if that's how you feel.

... I really want a foot tattoo but am yet to decide what I want, haha. Good luck for when you get it done!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Silly tattoo questions - October 28th 2012, 12:21 PM

As mentioned already, foot tattoo's tend to be more painful, and tend to fade more quickly since you have shoes (and socks) to wear. My sister has a tattoo on the top of her foot, and due to always having to wear shoes (mostly in the Winter since we're from Chicago), it's faded quite a bit over the years, and probably needs to be re-done eventually.

However, having tattoo's should be no indication on how other's treat you. I have two tattoo's, and some co-workers of mine actually have visible tattoo's and we work in a setting when we are around clients and potential clients almost 100% of the time. They are "supposed" to cover them up, but our clients have actually given my co-workers compliments on their ink before, and nobody has ever complained to our manager about visible tattoo's. Having a tattoo doesn't make who you are. I have two, and I'm very proud of the two I have. They may not be visible, but I know I have them and my co-workers have seen them before when I was in street clothes at work. Tattoo's are much more widely accepted in this day and age.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Silly tattoo questions - October 28th 2012, 12:45 PM

Pain from a tattoo is different for every single person. If you have high pain tolerance, it's not likely that you'll sit in there and bawl for two hours. But yeah, it going to hurt. Not going to lie. Best way to describe a tattoo: like a cat scratching on a sun burn. And for the tattoo rubbing off, it is a tattoo so that won't happen quickly. And you can always get touch ups.

As for the design, you could even draw up a really rough copy of what you want and he can draw it better based on that. Doing it in the computers are good too. You have to remember that the tattoo artists are artists. They're going to have ideas, suggestions, etc as to what will look the best. This is particularly helpful when you're clueless in not knowing what you want

Lastly, work. As long as you don't have it visible then you're good. Most jobs require you to wear closed toe shoes anyways. Maybe not most, but a lot. And a lot of places are more accepting now a days. I think as long as it's respectful, and appropriate and not on some weird spot on your body (like your forehead) you're good

Closed Thread