TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Tattoo :) - February 13th 2011, 06:01 AM

Hey,

I've decided what tattoo I want to get. I am going to be 16 shortly. Am I allowed to get a tattoo at 16? Do I need parental consent?

Also, where should I get my tattoo?
So far, my number one choice is on my ribs.

My tattoo is going to be Philippians 4:13. The whole verse and reference.

Last edited by Kitty.; February 15th 2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Changing something :)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 30,320, Level: 25 Points: 30,320, Level: 25 Points: 30,320, Level: 25

Re: Tattoo :) - February 13th 2011, 06:05 AM

I take credit for the ribs idea.
And I'm not really sure. I think you'd need parental consent still...but it might be different in the States.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Tattoo :) - February 13th 2011, 06:09 AM

it's state regulated. You'd have to look into what the rules are for your state. I know for a back that in new york, you have to be 18 - there's no such thing as parental consent in new york.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Tattoo :) - February 13th 2011, 06:16 AM

Maybe I could go out of state if my state doesn't allow it. I hope my state does because I know who I want my tattoo artist to be.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Points: 31,901, Level: 25 Points: 31,901, Level: 25 Points: 31,901, Level: 25

Re: Tattoo :) - February 13th 2011, 08:30 AM

This website has the laws for every state.

http://www.everytattoo.com/tattoolaws.shtml

I don't know where you are so I couldn't pick states close to you but I randomly looked at a few and so far I have found Florida.
Quote:
(3) No body of a minor shall be tattooed without the written notarized consent of the parent or legal guardian.
http://www.everytattoo.com/floridalaw.shtml

Ohio
Quote:
(A) No person shall perform a tattooing procedure, body piercing procedure, or ear piercing procedure with an ear piercing gun on an individual who is under eighteen years of age unless consent has been given by the individual's parent, guardian, or custodian in accordance with division (B) of this section.

(B) A parent, guardian, or custodian of an individual under age eighteen who desires to give consent to a business to perform on the individual under age eighteen a tattooing procedure, body piercing procedure, or ear piercing procedure performed with an ear piercing gun shall do both of the following:

(1) Appear in person at the business at the time the procedure is performed;

(2) Sign a document provided by the business that explains the manner in which the procedure will be performed and methods for proper care of the affected body area following performance of the procedure.
http://www.everytattoo.com/ohiolaw.shtml

and New Jersey
Quote:
A person commits a disorderly persons offense if he knowingly tattoos or engages in body piercing of a minor under the age of 18 years without first having obtained the written permission of the minor's parent or legal guardian or, if neither exists, a person who stands in place of a parent.
http://www.everytattoo.com/newjerseylaw.shtml

Just have a look around that website at states by you and see what you can find.

Last edited by Melody Pond; February 13th 2011 at 08:37 AM.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
i_am_waves Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ryan

Points: 8,752, Level: 13 Points: 8,752, Level: 13 Points: 8,752, Level: 13

Re: Tattoo :) - February 13th 2011, 09:41 PM

If your tattoo is going to be nothing but script, your ribs are a good choice. Other common places for script tattoos are feet, forearms, sometimes chest pieces. Just keep in mind that your ribs are generally considered the most painful place to tattoo - so make sure you're prepared for that, since this is your first tattoo, I'm assuming.

http://www.aaatattoodirectory.com/ta...egulations.htm

This is a good guide for state regulations on tattooing. Just be aware that even if your state allows you to be tattooed under eighteen with parental consent, some shops will flat-out refuse you anyway. It's up to the individual shop. Make sure to check up with the tattoo shop you want to go to before you go in for your tattoo. Also, the other side of that is that some states will prohibit tattooing minors, but individual shops will allow it. Personally, I'd stay away form those places and do it some place where it's legal. If the tattoo shop isn't willing to follow state regulations, how much can you really trust them? Anyway, good luck. (:

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Tattoo :) - February 13th 2011, 10:02 PM

It will be my first tattoo. I am totally prepared for any pain and I'm fine with it.

My state says that the tattooing of minors is prohibited. Does that mean that I would need parental consent or that I can't get it done at all?
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Tattoo :) - February 13th 2011, 10:07 PM

It means you're not allowed to get it done at all if it's prohibited.

Maybe check the laws of states near you?

If not, it just means you'll have to wait a couple more years.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Tattoo :) - February 13th 2011, 10:12 PM

I just called the place that I want it done at and they said that I can't get it done in my state until I turn 18. I guess that means that I will need to go out of state for my tattoo.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 21,567, Level: 21 Points: 21,567, Level: 21 Points: 21,567, Level: 21

Re: Tattoo :) - February 14th 2011, 12:05 AM

Hmmm...
Just keep in mind what Ryan mentioned. My dad is willing to let me get a tattoo and sign a consent for it, but he mentioned that a lot of people won't do it because I'm a minor. So even if you go out of state, might want to make sure with the place/person is okay with tattooing you because you're a minor.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Tattoo :) - February 14th 2011, 12:43 AM

Well, I would probably go to Mississippi to get my tattoo since that state allows the tattooing of minors.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Tattoo :) - February 14th 2011, 01:21 AM

I think it's really cool that you want a tattoo. However, there's no need to rush into it, right? I'd suggest waiting until you're 18 and can legally get it done in your state. Last year when I was 16 I really, really wanted a tattoo, but then I decided that I didn't. So it's quite possible that you could change your mind between now and your 18th birthday. You want to make sure this is something you will be happy with for the rest of your life, because, of course, it's permanent. I'm not trying to discourage you at all if this is what you really want, but just keep that in mind and be careful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Points: 48,157, Level: 31 Points: 48,157, Level: 31 Points: 48,157, Level: 31

Re: Tattoo :) - February 14th 2011, 01:50 AM

I think thats a really cool idea for a tattoo. I think the laws just vary from state to state. Like where I live if you have parental consent they're fine with it. Are your parents okay with you getting a tattoo?

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Tattoo :) - February 14th 2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
It will be my first tattoo. I am totally prepared for any pain and I'm fine with it.
Unfortunately, you can't be prepared for it. There is no feeling that you can compare to what it feels like to get a tattoo, especially on your ribs.

One of my best friends has had surgery multiple times and MANY painful medical procedures, and she still almost cried when she got her ribs done. It's not something you can prepare yourself for, because it's a feeling that you've never felt before.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Tattoo :) - February 14th 2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eblouie View Post
I think it's really cool that you want a tattoo. However, there's no need to rush into it, right? I'd suggest waiting until you're 18 and can legally get it done in your state. Last year when I was 16 I really, really wanted a tattoo, but then I decided that I didn't. So it's quite possible that you could change your mind between now and your 18th birthday. You want to make sure this is something you will be happy with for the rest of your life, because, of course, it's permanent. I'm not trying to discourage you at all if this is what you really want, but just keep that in mind and be careful.
I do tend to rush into things, but this is something that I know for sure I want. Philippians 4:13 basically sums up my entire life and it's my life verse. It means the world to me. Also, it will probably be a while before I can get the tattoo since I am going to look at more fonts and stuff. I may eventually have to wait til I am 18.
Part of me wants to wait until I am 18 because I know exactly who I want my artist to be. The artist I want does an absolutely fantastic job. However, I am so incredibly impatient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendi View Post
I think thats a really cool idea for a tattoo. I think the laws just vary from state to state. Like where I live if you have parental consent they're fine with it. Are your parents okay with you getting a tattoo?
You're lucky! My dad is 100% against, but my mom is much more okay with it. My dad doesn't really get involved in things like this anyways, so his opinion won't be one that determines whether or not I get a tattoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myss View Post

Unfortunately, you can't be prepared for it. There is no feeling that you can compare to what it feels like to get a tattoo, especially on your ribs.

One of my best friends has had surgery multiple times and MANY painful medical procedures, and she still almost cried when she got her ribs done. It's not something you can prepare yourself for, because it's a feeling that you've never felt before.
Hahaha I probably used the wrong choice of words there. It might be better if I say I don't care how much it hurts; it will be worth it in the end.

I'm sure they are pretty painful. The lady who recommended me to the tattoo place said that when she got her tattoo on her ribs, she almost cried and she has a really high pain tolerance.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Tattoo :) - February 14th 2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
Hahaha I probably used the wrong choice of words there. It might be better if I say I don't care how much it hurts; it will be worth it in the end.

I'm sure they are pretty painful. The lady who recommended me to the tattoo place said that when she got her tattoo on her ribs, she almost cried and she has a really high pain tolerance.
There you go That's how I felt about mine. It hurt like hell, but I knew that it would be worth it. I thought I was going to break my boyfriends hand lol. I was even pulling my own hair and apparently bit my hand incredibly hard - I didn't feel me biting myself.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Tattoo :) - February 14th 2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myss View Post

There you go That's how I felt about mine. It hurt like hell, but I knew that it would be worth it. I thought I was going to break my boyfriends hand lol. I was even pulling my own hair and apparently bit my hand incredibly hard - I didn't feel me biting myself.
Haha that's pretty funny. Maybe I'll bring my Ipod with me or something and put on some metal.
I'm not sure when I can get it.
I can choose to go out of state and get it.
Or I can wait until I turn 18 and go to the place I want to go to and have the artist I want.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Quartet Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Melanie

Points: 11,640, Level: 15 Points: 11,640, Level: 15 Points: 11,640, Level: 15

Re: Tattoo :) - February 14th 2011, 06:20 PM

They wouldn't allow it where worked, being tattooed with parental consent. Just because there's a huge chance that the tattooer can still be sued if the child later decides that they are unhappy with the tattoo.

Your best bet is to wait until you're 18.
You'll have more time to be certain about what tattoo you'd want, as well.

Colours De Moi

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Tattoo :) - February 15th 2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missomellow View Post
They wouldn't allow it where worked, being tattooed with parental consent. Just because there's a huge chance that the tattooer can still be sued if the child later decides that they are unhappy with the tattoo.

Your best bet is to wait until you're 18.
You'll have more time to be certain about what tattoo you'd want, as well.
Thanks. I will probably wait until I'm 18.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
kitkat_kate Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Points: 9,548, Level: 14 Points: 9,548, Level: 14 Points: 9,548, Level: 14

Re: Tattoo :) - February 16th 2011, 07:39 PM

Kitty - you do need parental consent, probably. But you've clearly gotten all of that advice.

I just wanted you to know that I really like your idea...just think about it a lot first. I know that I just got mine, and I thought about it for, well, years, before I made that decision.

i am not my scars and my history
i am, i am, i am who i am...i am who i am.
there are true things inside of me;
i have been afraid to see.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Tattoo :) - February 18th 2011, 07:18 AM

Yeah I have parental consent, but I am going to wait until I am 18. That will give me time to think too.
Closed Thread