TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

International Women's Day 2021 - March 8th 2021, 01:06 PM

Today marks International Women's Day 2021. This year's theme revolves around working towards a gender-equal world and a fight against gender bias.

Thankfully I haven't had too much trouble when it comes to gender inequality.

I have had sexual advances and comments made towards me.

During college I've had a male in my class make lewd comments towards me. I have had the occasional male in the gym approaching me treating me like I'm a sex object, but I handle it very well and turn them away. I've had somebody try and message me claiming I do exercises wrong and that their way is better because they've 'been doing it longer' (longer doesn't mean doing it better).

Despite this, I can say I'm more fortunate than others. I haven't had reduced pay solely because I'm female. I haven't been mistreated in the workplace (beyond the above) because I'm female. Obviously there's a lot more to gender inequality than this, but the list is way too long.

You can find more on International Women's Day 2021 here.

Have you experienced gender inequality? Was it ever dealt with? If yes, how so?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: International Women's Day 2021 - March 8th 2021, 01:39 PM

I've had very similar experiences in that I've never had to deal with an obvious inequality, but over the last few years I've become much more aware of this in general. I've also had inappropriate comments made, and frequently have men try to talk to me as I'm on my way home, trying to get a response even when I blatantly ignore them. I've also had other students in school act inappropriately, and back then I was too shy to speak out about it, but other female students had similar experiences too. I also had a long discussion with my brother the other day, who claimed that female sports stars should be paid less than male sports stars because women lack the physical ability to perform as well as men.

I'm glad that International Women's Day is promoting a gender-equal world. I've become my family's worst nightmare because any time I hear a comment they say which reinforces sexist attitudes I'm very quick to call them out on it!

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: International Women's Day 2021 - March 9th 2021, 08:15 AM

I believe my experiences haven't been much of an issue for me as I've never really had to deal with inequality.

But happy International Women's Day!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Tommy

Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8

Re: International Women's Day 2021 - March 10th 2021, 08:27 AM

When I lived in The Hole, girls were classed lesser human beings than guys. How the authorities reacted when I told them otherwise was not taken kindly. However, they realized I was not going to continue being disrespected, but I was punished for objecting, while also standing up for my best friend "Ted".

I'm going to be a lawyer. I decided this two years ago. I hope to specialize in children's data protection, gender disrespect, family matters and cyber crime, the latter because children have a limited awareness than adults, so International Women's Day 2021, I hope, will be recognized as a force that cannot be stopped.

Riviere, that was a good post!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
danielmatthews Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1

Re: International Women's Day 2021 - August 6th 2022, 05:18 AM

Thanks for sharing this great information.
Closed Thread