TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Earth Day - April 22nd 2021, 01:41 PM

Did you know today is Earth Day?

It's an event held on the 22nd of April every year to encourage and support sustainable living and a drive for environmental protection.

You can find a lot of information about Earth Day here.

I admit that I'm not someone who actively goes to any demonstrations to show my support for sustainable living. However, I do my part in other ways. I try to make sure I recycle as much as possible. I try and make sure I save electricity by using only things I really need, such as turning lights off and other electronics when I'm not using them. When the weather gets warmer I put my clothes outside to dry rather than putting them in the tumble dryer. My family also compost our own food waste. The once we have enough, it's used to help grow fruit and vegetables in our garden since it's large enough to hold several fruit trees and a couple of greenhouses. I try to make sure to only use as much water as I need, such as turning the tap off while brushing my teeth.

In what way do you show your support for climate change, and sustainable living?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Earth Day - April 22nd 2021, 01:53 PM

I've only just begun to conserve the bottles I use instead of throwing them in the trash. Since I don't have any access to recycling, I am trying to come up with upcycling projects but they require certain expertise and tools.

I also shut off all my lights on sunny days and open the shades. I don't do my dishes and laundry at the same time, as not to exhaust the water supply and energy. When the temperatures are at a reasonably comfortable level outside, I turn down the heat to 60F. I would turn it off altogether, but there are still nights when it can drop below freezing.

I reuse paper over and over, and same with PT and tissues. The latter doesn't sound very sanitary, but it's more of being fiscally conservative than sensitivity for the environment. PT and tissues are expensive!

I reuse water bottles probably 20-30 times. For instance, I had a two-dozen pack of water bottles that lasted me all of the year 2020... late January to sometimes this past December. I use water from the filter in my fridge as opposed to tap water. The same goes with the coffee maker, I use fridge water instead of tap water.

I should try to repurpose the K-Cups once they've been used but I have to do further research on that.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Earth Day - April 22nd 2021, 05:35 PM

I admit I dont think I do enough to save the planet but I am more aware now and working on making better choices. I hardly ever buy single use plastic bottles, and instead invested in a reusable bottle. I did the same with a coffee cup too so I dont use too much waste material. I also have beeswax food wrap which i sometimes use instead of clingfilm or tin foil and it can be washed and reused. It works really well. I try to eat more vegetarian meals too because after watching a David Attenborough documentary I learnt about the impact of meat production on the environment. I'm not vegetarian but I am making more of an effort to reduce my meat intake.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Earth Day - April 22nd 2021, 06:31 PM

Update: it is impossible to clean out K-Cups! But there are such a thing as reusable ones.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: Earth Day - April 22nd 2021, 07:43 PM

I recycle all the rubbish. I'm semi-vegan. I save electricity and water as much as possible. I never litter. I try to use as little plastic as possible (unfortunately it's way harder during the pandemic, for example when I buy coffee I get it in paper cups with plastic lids, when before the pandemic began I had had it poured into my own mug).

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Earth Day - April 22nd 2021, 08:23 PM

We recycle as much as we can. We used to compost things as well such as vegetable skins and occasionally grew some of our own veg too but we don't do that anymore. We have recently started making sure to turn lights off when we aren't in the room (or indeed anything that uses electricity that we aren't using)...its good for the environment and also helps to keep the bills down a bit as well! We've also switched energy providers to a cheaper and greener energy supplier so that's good too

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: Earth Day - April 26th 2021, 07:42 AM

I support day's like this but unfortunately, there are still people out there that won't listen.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
kirilpopinin Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 486, Level: 3 Points: 486, Level: 3 Points: 486, Level: 3

Re: Earth Day - April 23rd 2022, 04:39 PM

I forgot it was earth day yesterday((
what good have you done for earth, guys? has anyone ever planted a tree?
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Re: Earth Day - April 23rd 2022, 07:19 PM

Recycling way more often for one. I also try to just use my tumbler glass for my drinks like soda, water, tea, etc when at home.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
kirilpopinin Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 486, Level: 3 Points: 486, Level: 3 Points: 486, Level: 3

Re: Earth Day - April 30th 2022, 05:33 PM

I didn't know that April 22 is Earth Day. It's a shame because I'm very interested in the topic of ecology. I constantly see programs where they talk about recycling garbage or about global environmental problems and how they are solved. In order to help our planet somehow, I use the services of [LINK REMOVED] birmingham rubbish removal which are engaged in garbage removal, and then recycling. Maybe I'm not such a strong help, but I don't trash at least.I didn't know that April 22td.

Last edited by Special Agent; May 12th 2022 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Removed Link
Closed Thread