TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Why Me? Here is a safe space to let it all out, where you can rant about all the bad things life throws your way. Sometimes it just helps to ask "why me?"

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Burnout - February 24th 2022, 11:41 PM

I feel like I'm suffering burnout with my job.

With everything that's happened with Covid and the constant lockdowns. The constant up-down uncertainty. The financial worries. Issues with other staff. The lack of staff. Having to cover additional shifts because of other staff unwilling to help... the list goes on and on.

I feel like I'm losing interesting in continuing with my personal training business. I really enjoy fitness, but due to my job, it's really messed me up physically. Both my knees are now clicking and pin pain if I do too much. My right shoulder from an old injury is just worse. I'm constantly fatigued. I'm tired of the worries of having to keep up with clients and constantly worrying about what to do if clients come and go.

Some clients are so easy to work with and it's great. Others are so difficult and part of it feels like it's due to my coaching style. But I'm so tired to do anything different. I ended up dropping a client because nothing I did or said sank in with her. She was with me for 8 months and her goal was fat loss. I gave her all the help I felt that I could, within my scope of practice. We would do end-of-month fitness assessments and all sorts. I would constantly assess technique and see how much was taken onboard. In her final assessment, I demonstrated correct technique on an exercise, and because she felt like it was too hard to perform, she started to do it the dangerous way solely because it was easier. I just felt like, 'What am I doing here anymore? Why is she even bothering to pay me? I could use this time to fit somebody else in'. I have another client similar. But I'm getting so tired.

Putting aside the PT section, I also teach classes and try and keep up with my own fitness. No other staff try and help out management. The 2 managers are actually really good, and because of this, they're also suffering burnout, I feel. No other staff want to help out with doing additional shifts or see the bigger picture.

We had a staff meeting last week and I just knew nothing that was said would be taken onboard by the other staff. They made it all about them. Our manager allows us to wear whatever trousers we want so long as they're plain and dark, despite technically having to wear a uniform. One staff member kicked up a fuss because she wasn't allowed to wear her pink leggings and claimed that it's 'part of her identity' and 'represents who she is as a person' and 'what she's all about as a PT'. Like, can you get any more first world problems? Really? Bloo bloo I can't wear pink leggings. He's literally allowing us to wear whatever dark coloured trousers we want despite it not being company uniform and a requirement, and she's taking his nicety and demanding more.

That same staff member is one I've written about before. When she came back to work at the gym I felt there would be issues. There have been, but it's just her attitude. She takes and takes and doesn't give back. She's threatening to leave if she's not removed off a Sunday shift, and even said to me that if she isn't taken off it soon, she just simply won't turn up. What kind of attitude is that to have? I've been stuck doing sometimes 13 days of work without rest. I've had to do Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I've had no weekend and straight back onto another shift on Monday. But oh no, she has no weekend for herself!

After the meeting last week, the managers asked if I was ok. I honestly broke down in tears and told them a lot of my issues. I told them I'd started looking for another job because I'm just getting so fed up. I found one as well.

Part of me wants to leave this job because of the fact my body is getting messed up, but at the same time, I worked hard to be there and I try and hope the situation will improve. But I'm just tired of having to worry about finances. I don't get much money as it is, and I feel like I'd be better of in a job with a proper wage.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

Re: Burnout - February 25th 2022, 03:47 PM

I am so sorry to hear that you are so burned out! This doesn't seem like a healthy environment to work in and I can't blame you for being burned out. I wish that people were willing to help out more to relieve some of the burden that you are facing, and that when someone gives an inch, they don't try to take a mile for it. It seems like your coworkers are definitely taking advantage of some of the management.

Congratulations on finding another job! I don't know what the job is, but maybe there's another place you can go to do PT instead of totally changing the career, if it's at all possible for your health? Or, maybe you need some physical therapy for your past injuries?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: Burnout - February 26th 2022, 01:54 AM

I'm so sorry to hear how you are feeling. It can be difficult working in a toxic environment and it obviously sounds like some of your colleagues are not helping the situation.
I can emphasis with you as I do feel something similar with my job and career. If you ever need to have a chat, feel free to inbox me.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Burnout - March 1st 2022, 10:20 PM

Thank you both for your responses.

I ended up waiting too long on the other job and it was taken. Ironically, by a gym member I speak to frequently. I've never told her I was considering a change of job, it was just a coincidence. At least I know she'll do well in the role.

I had considered finding somewhere else to PT but there aren't many gyms I can easily access since I don't drive. The commute is my biggest issue.

I have had sports massages for my shoulder injury but it's so old it needs a lot of work, but for my knees, the only thing I can really do is just take part in the classes less which I don't always like doing.

Fortunately I took Monday off work. The extra day off really helped me and it was definitely what I needed, but I imagine after a while I'll still be feeling burnt out again until we get more staff.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: Burnout - March 3rd 2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivière View Post
Thank you both for your responses.

I ended up waiting too long on the other job and it was taken. Ironically, by a gym member I speak to frequently. I've never told her I was considering a change of job, it was just a coincidence. At least I know she'll do well in the role.

I had considered finding somewhere else to PT but there aren't many gyms I can easily access since I don't drive. The commute is my biggest issue.

I have had sports massages for my shoulder injury but it's so old it needs a lot of work, but for my knees, the only thing I can really do is just take part in the classes less which I don't always like doing.

Fortunately I took Monday off work. The extra day off really helped me and it was definitely what I needed, but I imagine after a while I'll still be feeling burnt out again until we get more staff.
There have been times when, for my mental health and purely because I just needed a break, I have taken an extra day off work and it has helped me immensely.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47

Re: Burnout - March 16th 2022, 05:58 PM

Hello Sarah,

I am so sorry about all of this and I hope that you will be okay soon and you are feeling a little bit better now. When we are going through a lot it is okay to take some time off to help you out and so that you feel better soon. I hope everything gets better for you soon and then you will be okay soon. Try finding something to help you get your mind off of this for a while, listening to music or watching movies or TV shows or drawing or painting or writing or playing a game or something else that you enjoy doing and hopefully this helps pick you up for a while. I hope you will be okay soon, sending you lots of to help you out.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,