TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Salina Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,032, Level: 8 Points: 3,032, Level: 8 Points: 3,032, Level: 8

Will Praying to move work? - February 12th 2018, 12:36 AM

Hey I’m Salina and I wanted to know if praying to move to a new state will work. I just can’t stay where I am any longer for reasons I’d like to keep private. But they are serious reasons I’m just uncomfortable with talking about them. Thx bye
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Re: Will Praying to move work? - February 12th 2018, 05:09 AM

I believe in the power of prayer. Part of this is envisioning where you want to be, which honestly the Law of Attraction, Vision Board, meditation are similar options. Affirmations, mantras, improving one's character, doing self care and practicing assertive skills, increasing self-awareness and having a strong sense of who you are, positive self-talk can help too. But the appeal about prayer has to do with believing in a higher power.
Whichever you choose to do, or combine these, it is still important to take direct steps towards your goal. Maybe direct isn't the right word but I'm lacking a better word for it. No what was mentioned above are all wonderful things to practice on. But I am talking about how to get from point A to point B. The things mentioned above are more personal growth/spirituality related and definitely important. But it is about integrating the skills that give us motivation, empowerment and passion with the skills that give us the details of how to get there; the skillset that involves organizing, planning, decision making, time management.

All the things mentioned in the first part, can kind of be thought of as life skills or lifestyle choices and are great for overall quality of life. But it does not address the logistical part of getting the goal done. For example, researching where you'd want to go. List your priorities of what you want in a location. Network with friends or family who may be living there and ask them questions (if possible, I know this may or may not be doable but I'm just putting it out there as an idea), even if possible, visit the place yourself a few times. Learn about not only the state you want to move to but the specific city or town you choose. Because there are state pros and cons and there are local area pros and cons and it may be different. Try to think of the full range of possibilities. Such as the pros and cons of moving there and the pros and cons of not moving there. If applicable (I learned to do the two-way pros and cons from DBT and it may not be applicable but if it makes sense, go for it)

If it's okay with you, I'd like to keep you in my thoughts and prayers too. I know we don't know each other and I'm like a stranger. But I feel with you and wish you the best in achieving your goals.

~Show Yourself
Step Into Your Power~

~Grow Yourself,
Into Something New~
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Will Praying to move work? - February 12th 2018, 05:31 AM

Well, that depends on what you do. If you do nothing but pray, nothing will happen. I believe prayers can influence people, and maybe events, but to me they are almost always more supplemental than a driving force behind anything. If there is anything I feel like I've learned in my life, its that God doesn't interfere very much, or when He/She/It does, what you get is often nowhere near what you expected or even asked for.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Will Praying to move work? - February 12th 2018, 05:47 AM

I agree with Robert, I don't think prayer alone will lead to you moving but I think praying might help you figure out how you want to go about moving and help you develop a course of action.

I am not a huge believer but, I do believe that if there is a God they don't interfere in our lives much. They listen to what we have to say and they provide us with a safe way to vent and think but we have to take a bit of action as well.

Prayer might help you stick to your desire of moving at some point and that could end up helping you get to a place where you try and work on figuring out a way to move.

That being said, if you ever need/want to talk about anything please feel free to message me.

Best regards.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Will Praying to move work? - February 12th 2018, 06:07 AM

God works in mysterious ways and works things out you think can't possibly happen, but there are no guarantees, so I wouldn't just pray and do nothing else, but it certainly won't hurt.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17

Re: Will Praying to move work? - February 12th 2018, 06:34 AM

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT MEAN OFFENSE TO PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN GOD

So I'm an atheist, so I am gonna say no. Praying won't help; rather use that time to figure out how you can move. There is a saying, "You're mind creates solutions", so if you have a goal eventually your mind WILL create a solution.
Now, if praying helps you find a solution, go for it, but don't bank on it.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: Will Praying to move work? - February 12th 2018, 07:29 AM

Hey there, Salina.

I believe that there is power in prayer and that God works in amazing ways. However, if there is something you want, you have to take steps to work towards it. It’s important not to loose faith or become inpatient if it looks like your prayers aren’t being answered because He may just surprise you in the end (much like St. Monica).

I’m not sure if you know but Pope Francis said, “prayer does not work like a magic wand! It helps us keep faith in God, and to entrust ourselves to him even when we do not understand his will.” I think that this is something to remember and it helps me a lot. Even though it may seem that your prayers go unanswered...He always has a plan and sometimes despite how good your intentions are, He knows what is best for you and he always has a plan that will make sense in the end. I know how hard it can be when it appears that your prayers are not being answered but I look at it that maybe God has a different plan for me at that moment. Prayer isn’t something that is quick, it’s a long process and a way for us to become closer to God. Over the years, what we want or need changes and while we may not be expecting it, God has foreseen it and he knows what is coming even when it may appear to be darkest.

However, I think if there is something you want such as moving states, you need to work towards it as well as praying. Praying can only go so far because you need to look into where you want to move and how you will support yourself and such.

I hope this helps. Take care.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Salina Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,032, Level: 8 Points: 3,032, Level: 8 Points: 3,032, Level: 8

Re: Will Praying to move work? - February 13th 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
I agree with Robert, I don't think prayer alone will lead to you moving but I think praying might help you figure out how you want to go about moving and help you develop a course of action.

I am not a huge believer but, I do believe that if there is a God they don't interfere in our lives much. They listen to what we have to say and they provide us with a safe way to vent and think but we have to take a bit of action as well.

Prayer might help you stick to your desire of moving at some point and that could end up helping you get to a place where you try and work on figuring out a way to move.

That being said, if you ever need/want to talk about anything please feel free to message me.

Best regards.
I cant really “make a plan” or save up to move or anything cause I am 14. I wanna move but my parents don’t want to atm and I wanna pray in case that will work to change their minds or something idk
Closed Thread