TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#81 (permalink)) Old
Don't give up, turn to JESUS!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: suniesha

Points: 15,287, Level: 18 Points: 15,287, Level: 18 Points: 15,287, Level: 18

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 06:02 PM

That's my point. People ask for evidence of everything, but for some reason god is exempt from that. It doesn't make any sense.[/quote]

God is not exempt from it b/c if He was, you wouldn't talk about would. Would we? Just like the big bang, you can't prove that either and yet we talk about it. If you don't believe fine, Christians live by Faith not by sight but if you need sight to have faith in anything, thats you're thing. I don't think this Religion vs. non-religious battle will ever stop and even when people are 90, they're still gonna debate about it. There's no point.

We Christians believe one thing, you believe in another.

It kinda seems like Christians are sometimes the target of this.

2nd cor. 5:13
GREAT HOPE COMES FROM FAITH IN GOD!!!!

(#82 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniesha View Post
That's my point. People ask for evidence of everything, but for some reason god is exempt from that. It doesn't make any sense.
God is not exempt from it b/c if He was, you wouldn't talk about would. Would we? Just like the big bang, you can't prove that either and yet we talk about it. If you don't believe fine, Christians live by Faith not by sight but if you need sight to have faith in anything, thats you're thing. I don't think this Religion vs. non-religious battle will ever stop and even when people are 90, they're still gonna debate about it. There's no point.

We Christians believe one thing, you believe in another.

It kinda seems like Christians are sometimes the target of this.[/quote]

I target anyone who presents things as fact with no empirical evidence to attribute to them
  (#83 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 06:27 PM

Hypersonic: I target anyone who presents things as fact with no empirical evidence to attribute to them

Suniesha: So you also target the people who believe in the Big Bang?

(#84 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Hypersonic: I target anyone who presents things as fact with no empirical evidence to attribute to them

Planck's Law of black body radiation and the Doppler effect/Redshift in cosmic microwave radiation both point to a singularity of massive temperature which expanded into the universe we know today.

As this is empirical evidence I do not target the people who believe in the Big Bang
  (#85 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Sonic View Post
Planck's Law of black body radiation and the Doppler effect/Redshift in cosmic microwave radiation both point to a singularity of massive temperature which expanded into the universe we know today.

As this is empirical evidence I do not target the people who believe in the Big Bang
Who made that law? Who made the person that made that law? Who made they're family? Who made all this? I can't help but not believe that someone didn't make the world. I think God did. What I was saying is that not any other religion is really being targeted here besides Christians.

(#86 (permalink)) Old
wanderlust Offline
zz
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 10,531, Level: 14 Points: 10,531, Level: 14 Points: 10,531, Level: 14

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 07:18 PM

Chelsey, i think you left yourself open to some serious cynics lol

lets just leave the faith thing to you and I, we dont have to prove anything, its impossible to convince people of something they dont believe in. It was good of you to try though.

xx

A single thread in a tapestry
Through its color brightly shine
Can never see its purpose
In the pattern of the grand design
  (#87 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post

lets just leave the faith thing to you and I, we dont have to prove anything, its impossible to convince people of something they dont believe in. It was good of you to try though.

xx
Totally agreed.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#88 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 10,263, Level: 14 Points: 10,263, Level: 14 Points: 10,263, Level: 14

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Who made that law? Who made the person that made that law? Who made they're family? Who made all this? I can't help but not believe that someone didn't make the world. I think God did. What I was saying is that not any other religion is really being targeted here besides Christians.
What you think doesn't depend on logic, reasoning, etc. It only depends on Faith. Do you agree?
  (#89 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post

xx
Oh, I'm not trying to convince anyone whether or not God is real. That's my own personal belief and I don't really care what anyone else believes in. What I'm, overall, trying to get at is this: Don't tell me that my god doesn't exist unless you can prove to me that he doesn't. In a debate, if you're going to bring up that Christianity is a bunch of crap, please do feel free to prove to me that it is. It's been said a billion times and more, "Prove to me that Christianity is the real deal." Well, prove to me that it's not.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student
  (#90 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadra View Post
How is that any more ridiculous than god not wanting to be proved that he exists?
It's ridiculous because we're talking about religion here. Religion is the reason that a lot of people die all over the world everyday. It, for some people, depending on their beliefs, determines their eternity. Religion is a way of life for many, many people... And you're challenging that with a pot of gold who apparently has the ability to think?

Quote:
Why is a person's devotion dependent on faith? When you have a friend that you trust it is because you've been able to get to know them and have logically found them to be a trustworthy person. You wouldn't trust someone you've never talked to, which is what god is the equivalent of.
Because if you can believe in God and put your trust in him based on what the Bible says, that's true devotion. But if you have to have everything displayed before you before you even think about believing, you would have never been devoted to God in the first place.

And Christians do talk to God. Prayer. In Christianity, you're meant to have a relationship with God. You pray and he answers, no, not verbally, but he answers. And as soon as this is read, some people will say, "Well, what about those people who pray for something and don't get it?" It's because God has a different plan. It's not about us, remember? Just because we want something doesn't mean we always get it.

If a five year old goes into a pet store and asks their father for a dog, does the father HAVE to get the child the dog? No. The child may not understand why daddy won't get them a puppy, but the father has his reasons.

Quote:
What if I said my 5 heads were invisible but that they existed? How is that any different than god saying he exists but won't prove it?
It's different because I don't care whether or not you have five heads. If it was something that might change my life or future, then yeah, I'd care about it.

Quote:
And again, since you didn't answer it the first time, why someone who has something good to offer not want to prove it so that everyone can reap the benefits of it? Wouldn't a good person/entity do everything they could to help everyone to heaven?
I did answer the first time. Here was my answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereIsHope View Post
Back to the faith thing... God wants his followers simply to believe in him and trust him. The Bible goes on and on about faith. And the Bible is what God wants us to live by. If the religion itself wasn't based on a foundation of faith, yeah, I'd want some proof. But since there is so much talk of how important faith is in the Bible, I believe that God, once again, wants his followers to have faith and trust in him, not ask for proof.
It's not about everyone getting to heaven. It's about those who follow God and believe in him by faith, like the Bible says. God would like for everyone to be able to make it into heaven, but unfortunately for them, there are people who need proof for everything, particularly religion.

(#91 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:33 PM

Just a thought; if God is going to punish us by sending us to fiery oblivion for not believing in him and his wonderful son, shouldn't he at least provide a single reason to have faith in him?

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
  (#92 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
Just a thought; if God is going to punish us by sending us to fiery oblivion for not believing in him and his wonderful son, shouldn't he at least provide a single reason to have faith in him?
The reasons he provides for us are all throughout the Bible, particularly the New Testament.

(#93 (permalink)) Old
Barney_Armey Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,593, Level: 14 Points: 9,593, Level: 14 Points: 9,593, Level: 14

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:41 PM

God is down to personal beliefs and nothing more. there is no way currently to prove there is/are God(s) which makes this thread stupid and pointless
  (#94 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Points: 16,164, Level: 18 Points: 16,164, Level: 18 Points: 16,164, Level: 18

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
The reasons he provides for us are all throughout the Bible, particularly the New Testament.
Aren't you screwed if that's a lie and Hinduism is the 'true religion'? Don't you think that if you were raised in Istanbul you would have ended up as a Muslim?
  (#95 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:43 PM

But there's no reason to believe the bible is truth. I could also make the argument that proof of the Egyptian gods' existence is in the Scroll of Thoth. But that's ridiculous, because the Scroll of Thoth is not historical fact - it's a myth.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius
  (#96 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
Aren't you screwed if that's a lie and Hinduism is the 'true religion'?
If that be the case, that will be my problem, I suppose.

This thread has gotten way off topic. It's supposed to be about what exactly proof would be, not whether or not God is real. It's more of a statement: Don't ask us for proof if you can't provide any either. Why does that not make sense to anyone?

(#97 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19 Points: 17,299, Level: 19

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:49 PM

It doesn't make sense as it's the side that is saying that something exists who need to provide the proof. The default position if you cannot prove something exists is disbelief. The only way to prove something does not exist is lack of proof that it does exist, it's is a logical paradox to say "prove this doesn't exist".
  (#98 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
If that be the case, that will be my problem, I suppose.

This thread has gotten way off topic. It's supposed to be about what exactly proof would be, not whether or not God is real. It's more of a statement: Don't ask us for proof if you can't provide any either. Why does that not make sense to anyone?
Far as I can tell, we're still on topic. I asked what proof God has shown - you said the bible. I gave you a reason why I don't think that constitutes proof.

If I claim that I have a cure for cancer, it's not everyone else's job to prove that it DOESN'T cure cancer - it's my job to prove that it DOES. Likewise, if someone claims that God is real, it's not other people's jobs to disprove it.

If it's the case that someone believes in God, and is willing to leave everyone else alone about it, that's fine. But when religious people attempt to manipulate laws and society to incorporate their beliefs in God without any evidence for his existence, that's a problem.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Grizabella; March 30th 2009 at 08:55 PM.
  (#99 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 08:56 PM

The idea of a lack of god can be proven. There is no evidence to suggest it so why believe in it.

And if you twist that around like I assume you will, then shouldn't you believe in everything that hasn't been proven? Or does that sound crazy?

(sorry for my crap grammar)
  (#100 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
If I claim that I have a cure for cancer, it's not everyone else's job to prove that it DOESN'T cure cancer - it's my job to prove that it DOES. Likewise, if someone claims that God is real, it's not other people's jobs to disprove it.
But if someone challenges you and states that you haven't found a cure for cancer, I would think that if they're going to make THAT claim, it's their job to prove that it doesn't cure cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
It doesn't make sense as it's the side that is saying that something exists who need to provide the proof. The default position if you cannot prove something exists is disbelief. The only way to prove something does not exist is lack of proof that it does exist, it's is a logical paradox to say "prove this doesn't exist".
Yeah. That's all true. Actually, it's one of the best counter-replies I think this thread has gotten.

But I don't think that just because God hasn't shown himself it means that he doesn't exist.

But that really was a great reply.

(#101 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_A[SIZE="3"
rmey;98730]God is down to personal beliefs and nothing more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_A[SIZE="3"
there is no way currently to prove there is/are God(s) which makes this thread stupid and pointless
So... You don't like photographs.. You don't like God... Is there anything you do like?[/size]

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#102 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Points: 16,575, Level: 18 Points: 16,575, Level: 18 Points: 16,575, Level: 18

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
It's ridiculous because we're talking about religion here. Religion is the reason that a lot of people die all over the world everyday. It, for some people, depending on their beliefs, determines their eternity. Religion is a way of life for many, many people... And you're challenging that with a pot of gold who apparently has the ability to think?
So if lots of people died trying to get the pots of gold that didn't want to be found then it would be the same? Money and materialism is a way of life for money people. I fail to see the difference.

Quote:
Because if you can believe in God and put your trust in him based on what the Bible says, that's true devotion. But if you have to have everything displayed before you before you even think about believing, you would have never been devoted to God in the first place.
Again, would you trust a stranger? someone you've never met or talked to

Quote:
And Christians do talk to God. Prayer. In Christianity, you're meant to have a relationship with God. You pray and he answers, no, not verbally, but he answers. And as soon as this is read, some people will say, "Well, what about those people who pray for something and don't get it?" It's because God has a different plan. It's not about us, remember? Just because we want something doesn't mean we always get it.

If a five year old goes into a pet store and asks their father for a dog, does the father HAVE to get the child the dog? No. The child may not understand why daddy won't get them a puppy, but the father has his reasons.
Correction, christians talk AT god, and get no response. You can pretend something is a response or a "sign", but you have no proof that it is.

Quote:
It's different because I don't care whether or not you have five heads. If it was something that might change my life or future, then yeah, I'd care about it.
Whether you care or not is irrelevent though. It's the same thing. Just because you like something better it's allowed not to have proof? That's absurd.

Quote:
I did answer the first time. Here was my answer:

It's not about everyone getting to heaven. It's about those who follow God and believe in him by faith, like the Bible says. God would like for everyone to be able to make it into heaven, but unfortunately for them, there are people who need proof for everything, particularly religion.
So if you're an intelligent person who wants to be able to back up their claims you're not worthy to go to heaven? no matter if you're the nicest most honest and caring person in the world? How is asking for proof an "unfortunate" thing? How is blindly following something ever a good idea? If you met a stranger who said if you jumped off the bridge with them you'd go to a magical wonderful place called heaven, would you? no of course you wouldn't. Does that make sense to you because it sure doesn't to me. You wouldn't apply that same leap of faith to anything on earth, so how can you justify it in the case of an unprovable god?

EDIT: I apologize for the way I expressed myself. I realized after I wrote this that the tone of it is a little harsh. I'm not trying to criticize you. You have every right to believe what you want and the truth of the matter is that nobody knows for sure whether or not god exists. I'm just having a little trouble understanding the train of thought I guess. It seems a little hypocritcal to me to apply a different standard to the concept of god than to other things, but perhaps I'm just being a tad close-minded. I'd still like to hear what you have to say but I promise to be more respectful from now on.

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3

Last edited by Khadra; March 31st 2009 at 01:03 AM.
  (#103 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Points: 26,815, Level: 23 Points: 26,815, Level: 23 Points: 26,815, Level: 23

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
So if you're an intelligent person who wants to be able to back up their claims you're not worthy to go to heaven? no matter if you're the nicest most honest and caring person in the world? How is asking for proof an "unfortunate" thing? How is blindly following something ever a good idea? If you met a stranger who said if you jumped off the bridge with them you'd go to a magical wonderful place called heaven, would you? no of course you wouldn't. Does that make sense to you because it sure doesn't to me. You wouldn't apply that same leap of faith to anything on earth, so how can you justify it in the case of an unprovable god?
You're missing one very important point: Christianity isn't about morals, it's about obedience. Throughout the Bible it is stated time and time again that all sins are equally bad as they are all transgressions against God's will. The upshot of this is that there is no means for telling the difference between a moral and an immoral action other than whether God says it is moral or immoral: if we have no criteria for ranking the sinfulness of an act, how else can we decide what is and what isn't a sin? The "good non-believer" is therefore an oxymoron: the only concept of "good" in Christianity is obedience to God, which naturally includes believing in God's existence.

Last edited by Acheron; March 30th 2009 at 10:32 PM.
  (#104 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram Negative View Post
What you think doesn't depend on logic, reasoning, etc. It only depends on Faith. Do you agree?
I think it it does depend on reasoning and logic, just like everything does.. And everything needs faith.

Yes, there is no way to prove that God exsits, pastors and preachers agree but we also can't prove the big bang or any other way of the Earth forming.

(#105 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is no way to prove that God exsits, pastors and preachers agree but we also can't prove the big bang or any other way of the Earth forming.
We also can't prove gravity, but it's pretty obviously a correct theory.
  (#106 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 11:07 PM

Technically you can prove gravity.. I personally don't believe the big bang, I believe that Jesus came down to die for our sins..

& I'm gonna leave it at that.

(#107 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Technically you can prove gravity.. I personally don't believe the big bang, I believe that Jesus came down to die for our sins..
Jesus can still have come down to die for our sins AND the big bang can still have happened. The two are not incompatible.

Gravity hasn't been proven, hence why it is still "the theory" of gravity.
  (#108 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 11:12 PM

We also don't have to believe the 'theory' of electricity, but I'd advise you to.
  (#109 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
We also don't have to believe the 'theory' of electricity, but I'd advise you to.
If that was directed at me I think you'll find that was exactly my point.
  (#110 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 30th 2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
If that was directed at me I think you'll find that was exactly my point.
I was agreeing with you

cheers
  (#111 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Points: 16,575, Level: 18 Points: 16,575, Level: 18 Points: 16,575, Level: 18

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 31st 2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
You're missing one very important point: Christianity isn't about morals, it's about obedience. Throughout the Bible it is stated time and time again that all sins are equally bad as they are all transgressions against God's will. The upshot of this is that there is no means for telling the difference between a moral and an immoral action other than whether God says it is moral or immoral: if we have no criteria for ranking the sinfulness of an act, how else can we decide what is and what isn't a sin? The "good non-believer" is therefore an oxymoron: the only concept of "good" in Christianity is obedience to God, which naturally includes believing in God's existence.
Ah! You're right, I was missing that. I wonder how many Christians are also missing that too though. Funny how obvious it seems now, yet I've never heard it spelt out like that before. Well, I hope heaven is worth being a sheep for. I personally like being able to think for myself though.

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3
  (#112 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 31st 2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
I think it it does depend on reasoning and logic, just like everything does.. And everything needs faith.
How is it logical? How does everything need faith? You believe in something you cannot see, touch, etc. because you have faith. Faith is what someone has when there is no evidence, no proof, no shred of evidence for whatever they believe in.

Quote:
Big Bang is supported by empirical evidence. ~99% of the scientific community understands and accepts the Big Bang theory. The only ones that do not place their faith above science. The studies are posted in the same journals that also post new research on cancer, HIV, heart disease, etc.

And technically nothing in science is proven, it is only suggested and supported. Same goes for medicine. Example: New research suggests that drug A kills cancer cells, therefore that drug will be used to treat cancer patients.
Quote:

Gravity has not been proven but evidence does suggest that gravity exists, however, there is still A LOT of conflict between scientists of how exactly gravity works. And as far as I know we are still having problems trying to measure gravity waves. Same goes for Big Bang and evolution. Scientists accept both theories but out of each theory can come a thousand new hypotheses which can or cannot lead to new theories which can in turn provide more support for the original theory, alter the original theory, or refute it.

And again, nothing in science is EVER proven, ever. Forget the word "proof", "proven", "right". Those words are only used to try to give laymen an easier understanding. Those words are generally irrelevant in the scientific circles because everything is based on theories which are supported by empirical evidence which takes years and year and years of very careful experimentation and study. Then you present your findings that support your hypothesis to other scientists that test them and retest them, and then test them again. And then your hypothesis becomes a theory if a large body scientists comes to the same conclusion. And even after you have a concrete theory that doesn't mean it can't be altered or even refuted in the future.

The word hypothesis doesn't even apply to God because science does not deal with the supernatural.

Last edited by Gram Negative; March 31st 2009 at 03:11 AM.
  (#113 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 31st 2009, 04:15 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHA,you people... Think whatever you want I know the way, the truth AND the life.. I don't need you're Theroies, if you don't believe then thats you're choice but I know whats right. Not the "big bang," thats not how the Universe or the Earth was made. That theroy was made so non-religious have something to argue about with the religious people.. people can't post things on here saying "How great is our God" without someone putting a snide message on there.. Its crap! Reply to this.. Idc anymore.

(#114 (permalink)) Old
swimmer92 Offline
Average Joe

Name: KP

Points: 10,851, Level: 15 Points: 10,851, Level: 15 Points: 10,851, Level: 15

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 31st 2009, 05:06 AM

I am a radical lover of God and I understand all these arguments. God isn't logically and I don't understand it. But I have seen so many things and ive seen so many people completely changes, so there is no way I can't believe in God.
  (#115 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Points: 43,248, Level: 29 Points: 43,248, Level: 29 Points: 43,248, Level: 29

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 31st 2009, 05:11 AM

So what proof do you need to prove god is Real a sample of Jesus hair?

(#116 (permalink)) Old
Katieeee Offline
that's what she said.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 11,990, Level: 15 Points: 11,990, Level: 15 Points: 11,990, Level: 15

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 31st 2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
Have you not read the first post and other posts? Science is based off of theories and laws, none of which are 100% true or false. Something may be accepted as a fact, such as evolution among the biological scientist community, however, it is still a theory regardless of how you view it. So, you wanting facts shows a) you haven't read any of the previous posts, b) you want evidence for something that requires no evidence and c) you fail to understand that science is not based off of solid facts, which is something that you are demanding.
You misunderstood me, although I do qualify that I should have been more clear. Like I asked, what scientific evidence is there that God does not exist? As in, which theories and laws are in direct disputation with the concept of God? To me personally, I find it insufficient to base my whole belief system on the assumption that because there is no "fire breathing unicorn that grants magical wishes" therefore automatically means there is no God.
Also I am not as knowledgable in scientific fields so I am curious of which theories support the God does not exist view. Other than, "It's just not possible." Which I find to be, again, insufficient.

Hence, being agnostic.

You gotta spend some time love
You gotta spend some time with me
And I know that you'll find love
I will possess your heart
  (#117 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 31st 2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
This is circular reasoning. God exists because God says he exists. Doesn't work.

Quote:

This makes absolutely no sense.

Quote:
I think you should read the first post of this thread:

Quote:
So, a lot of times, when religion is mentioned, especially on TeenHelp, there are people that demand proof at every single debate. And that's not a bad thing, but if I'm arguing for Christianity and you're arguing that there is no god, now it's your turn to prove it. No, I can't prove with scientific facts that God is, indeed, real, but neither can you prove that he's not real.

I've heard that Christians are delusional. I've heard it said that Christians are crazy or insane for praying because it's just them "talking to no one". I've heard brainwashing. Speaking in tongues being of demons. All kinds of things.

Proof? Prove that there is no god. Prove that faith isn't the answer. Prove that you're right and every Christian in the world and I are wrong.
Hopefully now you understand why christianity is a main focus in this debate.

Quote:

And why aren't the 2 incompatible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katieeee View Post
You misunderstood me, although I do qualify that I should have been more clear. Like I asked, what scientific evidence is there that God does not exist? As in, which theories and laws are in direct disputation with the concept of God? To me personally, I find it insufficient to base my whole belief system on the assumption that because there is no "fire breathing unicorn that grants magical wishes" therefore automatically means there is no God.
Also I am not as knowledgable in scientific fields so I am curious of which theories support the God does not exist view. Other than, "It's just not possible." Which I find to be, again, insufficient.

Hence, being agnostic.
First law of thermodynamics: Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, yet god is able to create energy, as somehow, he made himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniesha
HAHAHAHAHAHA,you people... Think whatever you want I know the way, the truth AND the life.. I don't need you're Theroies, if you don't believe then thats you're choice but I know whats right. Not the "big bang," thats not how the Universe or the Earth was made. That theroy was made so non-religious have something to argue about with the religious people.. people can't post things on here saying "How great is our God" without someone putting a snide message on there.. Its crap! Reply to this.. Idc anymore.
Ah, ignorance and arrogance at its best. Well, if you need no theories then I suggest you get no health care as medicine is based off of theories. Also, computers use electricity, which unfortunately is based off a theory, so you may want to toss that out. So, if you want to abandon all scientific theories, then that'd mean you live in the wilderness, you don't attempt to see what is poisonous or not, so eat anything, and so forth. Unless, of course, you accept certain theories, which would obviously make you a hypocrite. Your choice: ignorance, arrogance and hypocrisy or only arrogance and ignorance.

Yes, of course, the Big Bang was made so us non-christians (I love how you automatically associated religious people with Christianity, another show of arrogance) could use something to debate with christians [/sarcasm].

Very few have been putting in snide messages without giving some back-up when referring to your god.
  (#118 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 31st 2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
So would you say that an atheist came up with the idea of Big Bang?
  (#119 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 12,319, Level: 16 Points: 12,319, Level: 16 Points: 12,319, Level: 16

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 31st 2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I call POE

Wait... she has scripture in her sig... fuck...

Quote:
I don't need you're Theroies,
Says a member of an internet forum...

Quote:
I'm also waiting for the reply of that poster

(#120 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: What proof do you want? And in turn, what proof do you have? - March 31st 2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for proving exactly what I thought about the idiocy of religion ^_^. I should point out that thankfully not all religious people are as closed-minded.

Just a question, if you have faith in God do you still get the sandbags out if it looks like flooding? If so you're not demonstrating faith in his ability to protect you. Not to mention he forsook New Orleans which I believe is largely Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram Negative View Post
I too am waiting for the reply from that particular post (although it appears she has not been on so let's not be unreasonable)
Closed Thread