TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Expression Poems, stories, artwork and similar creations are great ways to let out your thoughts or feelings. Please share your work with us here!

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Does anyone else remember 2017? - October 10th 2023, 05:27 PM

I remember 2017 as if it was yesterday. It was 3 years before the pandemic and the resulting inflation. The economy was booming, housing was affordable, and there were no problems like Ukraine. Gas was pretty cheap. "Shape of You" was playing everywhere constantly, almost to an annoying extent. You could literally hear "Shape of You" blaring on someone's car speakers multiple times a day if you lived in a metro area. Fidget spinners were a big fad and it was the year of the "tide pod" challenge. I also got to try Crystal Pepsi, a soda that was briefly released around the year I was born and briefly brought back in 2017. Content from the prank/comedy youtube channel "NELK" seemed to be at its peak around that time. The discussion about autism awareness started to change with several new popular shows being released (The Good Doctor, Atypical, and maybe some more). There was a full solar Eclipse in north America- something that most Americans had never seen before. CBD/hemp products were becoming a big thing nationwide (though delta-8 was not a thing yet) and Florida starting selling medical marijuana while California legalized in general. People finally no longer talked about the 2008 recession (I remember the talk of it lingering into 2015). There was a general sense of optimism regardless of where you were on the political spectrum and Elon Musk wasn't seen a douchebag, but as some sort of hero to take us to mars and off of gasoline. AI wasn't yet seen as a serious threat to jobs. There was enthusiasm towards to the way tech was developing and it was also the year cryptocurrency became widely known with a huge boom in values occurring towards the end of the year. Some 2000s stuff remained but were clearly on their way out: such as the Apple Ipod that some people still used. It was near the height of the era of large cloud producing flavored vaping devices- before smaller mods like Juul took a big part of that market. It was a unique year and the most recent year that I am actually nostalgic over.

It was also the year of hurricane Irma, Maria, and Harvey. Also it was the year that Otto Warmbier, an American taken into custody in North Korea, was revealed to have been comatose for a year after suffering massive brain damage. Not good things, but they were definitely a big part of that year's events. Irma in particular got so much publicity that the national hurricane website could not handle the requests. Hurricane Ian from last year did not have near the publicity and was more of a surprise by comparison(due to shorter track and rapid intensification before landfall). Neither did hurricane Michael from 2018. I can't recall a storm that scared people as much as Irma (and Maria) for an entire week. Floridians and people in the Caribbean islands in particular were completely convinced Irma would be "the one"(and it was for Saint Martin and the FL keys). It was also the year Trump became president and the year the #MeToo movement took off. And twitter was twitter.

And Youtube was better. In late 2017, they announced a policy where there would be no more 30 second unskippable ads starting in 2018. They have apparently reversed course because I was just forced to watch two 30 second ads for a short video with no option to skip. Social media in general was also much more open discussion/less censorship friendly, particularly reddit.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; October 10th 2023 at 10:42 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,714, Level: 59 Points: 172,714, Level: 59 Points: 172,714, Level: 59

Re: Does anyone else remember 2017? - October 10th 2023, 06:43 PM

I definitely remember! Thanks for the look back in time.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,581, Level: 47 Points: 109,581, Level: 47 Points: 109,581, Level: 47

Re: Does anyone else remember 2017? - October 11th 2023, 09:28 AM

Thank you for sharing this with us.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Does anyone else remember 2017? - November 3rd 2023, 08:29 PM

I remember. It seems really odd reading this and remembering 2017. It feels like both such a long, distant time away and yet equally not so long ago either. Looking back now, many previous years definitely seem better and more optimistic!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Butterscotch. Offline
rising like a skyscraper 💜
Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/her, they/them

Points: 1,859, Level: 6 Points: 1,859, Level: 6 Points: 1,859, Level: 6

Re: Does anyone else remember 2017? - December 22nd 2023, 05:12 PM

This is an interesting throwback to the past. As Holly said, now we're looking back on years in the past and comparing them to today — they were better than we thought.

I mean, Trump becoming president and those mass shootings were the only bad things about 2017 now that I think about it.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42

Re: Does anyone else remember 2017? - December 23rd 2023, 09:08 AM

I definitely remember 2017. It was a good year...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,822, Level: 33 Points: 55,822, Level: 33 Points: 55,822, Level: 33

Re: Does anyone else remember 2017? - December 23rd 2023, 09:17 AM

I remember 2017, but so much has happened since that it seems a very long time ago.

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM