TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Work, Studying and Learning If you're having issues at work or trying to learn something new, this is a forum for question and support.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Advocating for my needs at work. - June 10th 2022, 11:58 PM

There are three of us that do my job: me, JL, and JC.

JL is going to have a baby and is leaving the organization, which will just leave me and JC. There is no possibility of hiring anyone else.

I try to work limited hours due to my mental health screwing me up, but work up to 25 (normally less). I think I'll be taking on most of JL's work when she leaves, because JC never gets assigned as many cases as JL and I do. My boss already told me that it'll be just me and JC, "not to stress me out," and that I can work over the 25 hours if I want but to let her know first so she can budget for it.

No, I don't want to work over the 25 hours but I feel like that's what's going to end up happening because of JL leaving. How do I advocate for my needs during the times where I mentally cannot work the 25 hours?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: Advocating for my needs at work. - June 11th 2022, 07:24 AM

Documented mental health issues are covered under the ADA. If they know about it, and you can only work 25 hours or less, document in writing that you've discussed it with them, which should be enough. You might want a doctor or therapist's note just in case, and then if they try to give you a hard time, or force it on you, you're protected by law. Obviously, you would bring this up as a last resort if they make things difficult. Start with civil conversations, and if needed work up the chain of command. Be firm, but professional.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Advocating for my needs at work. - June 15th 2022, 08:48 PM

Hi Dez, I would suggest reaching out to your doctor or a psychiatrist to get a note via the ADA — Americans with Disabilities Act. It states that employers cannot discriminate against you or fire you solely on the basis of your disability. Have a conversation first with your doctor or psychiatrist, explain this to them and they'll vouch for you. Then go speak to your employer, with the note in your hands, and explain to them that you're unable to work the 25+ hours per week. I would also have something prepared beforehand, in addition to the note from your care team.

Did they say why they won't be able to hire a third person?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Advocating for my needs at work. - June 15th 2022, 10:56 PM

The reason a third person can’t be hired is this is a temporary, grant funded position that may be ending within the next few months.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Advocating for my needs at work. - June 28th 2022, 04:15 PM

We need to catch up. I've been jumping from grant-funded temp job to grant-funded temp job throughout the pandemic because our country is a hellscape that won't fund public health. It's horrible, not your fault, not just happening to you...it's the entire system failing workers and the public.

Something I've had to really internalize is that the responsibilities that get dropped because of an agency's staffing problems are NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY. Even if that work naturally would shift from your coworker to you, you're not obliged to work more than the hours you committed to. If you're being asked to work more, you have the right to say no. And even more...what are they going to do, fire you? You're temporary, and you're keeping them afloat!

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Let me know if you're job hunting and I cans end anything I see your way.

something burning?
Closed Thread