TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 14,658, Level: 17 Points: 14,658, Level: 17 Points: 14,658, Level: 17

What are my chances of being pregnant? - June 2nd 2012, 09:56 PM

I have posted in this forum recently about how I plan to start ttc in a year from now after I am married. My fiance and I have recently pushed our wedding back by an entire year. So we are now not getting married for two years (because we procrastinated too long and don't feel we have enough time or money to plan a wedding for next summer). I have not been trying to get pregnant and up until recently we have been using condoms. About 2.5 weeks ago we didn't have any condoms so we just used the pull out method and we have used it a few more times between now and then. I know that it is not considered a reliable form of birth control and I know that there is a decent chance of getting pregnant but I was wondering does anyone know how much of a chance? My period is pretty irregular every month and I can't tell if I am late or not but I feel like it has been quite a while since last time. We are not in the best place to be pregnant right now witch is why we are planning to wait. But we would be able to manage alright if we were. I am just wondering what my chances are and how am I to know how long to wait before taking a test if I can't tell weather I am late or not? Also I am a little worried if i am pregnant I don't have a doctor yet so I have no idea how long I would have to wait to see one!

Last edited by Squiggly; June 2nd 2012 at 10:41 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: What are my chances of being pregnant? - June 2nd 2012, 10:43 PM

Hey Stacy,

According to bedsider.org, a wonderful website that helps about with birth control methods, the pull out method in use is statistically about 78% accurate. Although this is higher than 50%, really think about the failure rate of that. Out of 100 people using it, 22 people got pregnant. To me, that is too risky, and I would buy condoms before any more sexual contact.

I cannot tell you if you are pregnant now. I would recommend keeping an eye on your period, and if it does not come, take a pregnancy test. Good luck!

something burning?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What are my chances of being pregnant? - June 2nd 2012, 10:52 PM

Wow 22 out of 100 that is quite a lot! Although It wouldn't be horrible if I did get pregnant now and I would like kids I just want to wait a little longer so I am for sure going to get condoms now and hope it isn't already too late! Thanks very much for the information Traci
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: What are my chances of being pregnant? - June 3rd 2012, 12:43 AM

You said it's been about 2.5 weeks since you first had sex without a condom, using the pull out method. This has left you enough time to take a pregnancy test, and long enough time to get an accurate reading.

Traci gave you some amazing advice ahead of me! 22 out of 100 people might not seem like a lot, but in retrospect, it definitely is a lot more than you'd think. I would buy a few pregnancy tests and take one maybe once a week until you feel your mind has been put at ease. Most pregnancy tests come with two or more in the package, which in the long-run is the better deal bargain wise.

Always remember to read the directions on the test accurately, so you know you're using it properly, as well as checking the expiration date on the boxes. You don't want to take a test that's expired and will give you a false reading. Also, remember to take the test first thing in the morning when the test will give you the most accurate reading.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for! If you ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me personally. I'm always available.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What are my chances of being pregnant? - June 3rd 2012, 12:04 PM

Thanks Shannon! See I didn't know I could already take a test so I will definitely get one soon then.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: What are my chances of being pregnant? - June 4th 2012, 01:30 AM

There are early pregnancy tests, they ARE more accurate if you give it a while to give your body and hormones to catch up with the whole "holy cow I am pregnant" info. So yeah, but you can definitely give it a shot.
Worst comes to worst, if you are in a place that having a baby wouldn't be the worst thing possible, I'd just keep an eye on your period the next few weeks, and if your noticeably late/ it doesn't come, definitely get a set at that point.
And you can usually go to a walk-in clinic... I think you may call those free clinics in the states, but that might be a whole different thing for all I know haha (either way though...). Also, you can call around. I think most GPs would be able to do a basic pregnancy test so call around too
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What are my chances of being pregnant? - June 12th 2012, 01:25 AM

Hey everyone I want to say thanks again for all the help! Just thought I would let you all know that it took a test yesterday and it turns out I am not pregnant. I was starting to like the idea of it but I am still relieved that I will have some more time to prepare before it happens for real and that I can decide when it happens Definitely going to be more careful from now on.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: What are my chances of being pregnant? - June 12th 2012, 05:33 AM

That's awesome! It'll be much better when you can plan the situation around when is convenient for you. This time, just use condoms as stated in the directions, and think about other forms of birth control you can try as well. I hope all is well, good luck!

something burning?
Closed Thread