TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Points: 29,843, Level: 24 Points: 29,843, Level: 24 Points: 29,843, Level: 24

Aunt's Pregnant, Questions Related to Babies - March 12th 2009, 01:20 AM

My aunt is pregnant and is due August 15th. I'm very excited. I only have one first cousin (her son) and I've always wanted more cousins. We find out if the baby is a boy or girl March 25th. I'm very excited and I've got my fingers crossed for a girl but I'll be happy either way.

My aunt, however, still hasn't told her mother about the pregnancy. My aunt is not currently married. She has a long and complicated history with men. To say the least, she sure knows how to pick them. She's been divorced twice and is now living with her current boyfriend. Her ex-husband, my cousin's--Dalton's--father is currently in jail for something utterly stupid. Her boyfriend, Tommy, is a man that I really like and I would love for her to marry him one day, but I doubt she will. I'm worried about how she is going to tell my grandmother, because my grandmother is very meddling. She's really going to stress my aunt out about this and I recently learned that she had a miscarriage a couple of years back. She really wants things to go great with this pregnancy, because she's started telling people about it and she's looking forward to the baby.

Basically, I have two things that I want to address in this post. The stuff you read above was background fluff. When my grandmother finds out, how do I stop her from pestering the hell out of me about her pregnancy, Tommy, and the new baby? My grandmother will not be happy because of the sole fact that my aunt is not married. She's very meddling and will want to talk about this every day for the next five months.

Also, I'm very crafty and I love new babies. Once I find out the sex of the baby, from now until it is born I will probably spend all of my time making things for my new cousin. How do I keep Dalton from getting jealous of all the gifts? I could make something for him, but I really don't know what to make for him. I guess I'll need to purchase him something every time that I give my aunt whatever I have recently finished in order to pacify him. He wants me to knit him a sweater, but I've never made a sweater before. His color choice is rainbow, which I doubt my aunt will let him wear.

Also, when my aunt goes to find out the sex of the baby they are going to give her a DVD that shows her baby moving around as well as ultra sound pictures. Has anyone ever seen one of those DVDs? It is either in 3D or 4D, I've forgotten which, but it sounds like it would be pretty interesting to watch. She's talked about giving one to my grandmother as a way to tell her, but she wouldn't have a clue how to watch it.

--A
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
FranklinF Offline
Average Joe

Points: 9,739, Level: 14 Points: 9,739, Level: 14 Points: 9,739, Level: 14

Re: Aunt's Pregnant, Questions Related to Babies - March 12th 2009, 02:30 AM

i understand wanting to stick up for your aunt but this is really her battle, she will have to express this is her decision and her mother will haveto back off or she wont be a part of the babies life

how old is the older child? what you can do is wrap what you are giving to the baby, and tell him the baby said for thier big brother to open it for them, and get a special box for the baby stuff for him to protect untill the baby is born *ofcourse the last part will only work if the child is like four+*
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Aunt's Pregnant, Questions Related to Babies - March 12th 2009, 02:41 AM

My cousin is six years old. He will be seven when the baby is born. I think that is a great idea. I can't wait for him to open something. He loves to open presents, even other folks. We have a hard time keeping him out of the presents at birthday parties and stuff.

I know that I should let my aunt fight her own battle, but my grandmother makes it into everyone's battle. This woman lives two houses down and calls about ten times a day on the weekends and 6 on weeknights alone. She's called over ten times in two hours before to talk about mainly the same things. This will be a hot topic of conversation. When Phillip (my aunt's second husband, my cousin's father) went to jail, all she talked about was him for months afterwards. She still calls me sometimes and says that he wants to get back with Beth and all of the things he is saying about Dalton, how he misses him, etc.

He's gained a lot of weight while he has been in jail. He gets out (maybe) in June-ish and I think my cousin will be scared of him. He's not the same guy, honestly. My cousin also has little contact with his father's side of the family. They don't want to help out with him, like babysitting. They only want to do fun things with him like take him on vacations and have him over there at Christmastime. It's going to be rough when Phillip gets out, because I don't think Beth will want him around her or Tommy especially. I doubt they'll get along. It's kind of like when she divorced Michael, her first husband. I was close with him and he still wanted to come see us. She was married and Dalton was born shortly after her divorce to him (they'd been separated for a while, she was seeing Phillip then) and she did not want him around us at all because he was nosey and wanted information on Dalton and her. He still wants to get back together with her. It's such a small world, because Tommy was in a band (it recently broke up) with Michael's brother. Oh, the drama.

Anyway, I basically typed all of that to say that I will not be able to escape from defending her because it will be all my grandmother talks about.

--A
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I've been here a while

Name: Brittney

Points: 21,441, Level: 21 Points: 21,441, Level: 21 Points: 21,441, Level: 21

Re: Aunt's Pregnant, Questions Related to Babies - March 13th 2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontno View Post
When my grandmother finds out, how do I stop her from pestering the hell out of me about her pregnancy, Tommy, and the new baby?
When your grandmother finds out, don't let her pester you. If she tries, and she keeps asking, tell her you don't feel comfortable telling her personal information of your Aunt's and she needs to talk to her. Or you could lie and say you don't know anything. You don't have to tell her.

Quote:
Also, I'm very crafty and I love new babies. How do I keep Dalton from getting jealous of all the gifts? I could make something for him, but I really don't know what to make for him. I guess I'll need to purchase him something every time that I give my aunt whatever I have recently finished in order to pacify him.
Dalton is going to have to realize that he will no longer be the only child. He can't get something every time the baby does, it isn't realistic. Explain to him that it is time for the baby to receive new things and not his. Maybe make or buy him something the *first* time but in no means does he need to get something every time. He won't be an only child anymore and he'll need to get over it.

Quote:
Also, when my aunt goes to find out the sex of the baby they are going to give her a DVD that shows her baby moving around as well as ultra sound pictures. Has anyone ever seen one of those DVDs? It is either in 3D or 4D, I've forgotten which, but it sounds like it would be pretty interesting to watch. She's talked about giving one to my grandmother as a way to tell her, but she wouldn't have a clue how to watch it.
I've never seen one of the DVDs but I know someone who has. I don't remember if it's in 3D or 4D either, though. I wouldn't give one as a way to tell your grandmother. I'd have your Aunt sit down and tell her.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Care-o-Bear Offline
I <3 him! :)
Average Joe

Name: Caroline

Points: 14,682, Level: 17 Points: 14,682, Level: 17 Points: 14,682, Level: 17

Re: Aunt's Pregnant, Questions Related to Babies - March 13th 2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't help with much. But random thing...it's 4D, just in case you were wondering. Congrats on the cousin, though! I'm the 3rd youngest of all my cousins and the 2 younger than me aren't enough younger that I remember them being babies. Sounds pretty exciting! Good luck!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Re: Aunt's Pregnant, Questions Related to Babies - March 13th 2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittneyNicole View Post
When your grandmother finds out, don't let her pester you. If she tries, and she keeps asking, tell her you don't feel comfortable telling her personal information of your Aunt's and she needs to talk to her. Or you could lie and say you don't know anything. You don't have to tell her.

Dalton is going to have to realize that he will no longer be the only child. He can't get something every time the baby does, it isn't realistic. Explain to him that it is time for the baby to receive new things and not his. Maybe make or buy him something the *first* time but in no means does he need to get something every time. He won't be an only child anymore and he'll need to get over it.

I've never seen one of the DVDs but I know someone who has. I don't remember if it's in 3D or 4D either, though. I wouldn't give one as a way to tell your grandmother. I'd have your Aunt sit down and tell her.
Brittney, I know it is easy to say not to let my grandmother pester me, but you have never met the woman. I know it sounds like I'm being possible, but I'm sure I'll be posting after she finds out because she will make things difficult. I'm also very worried about her wanting to babysit. She's about 63, but she's obese and diabetic. She can hardly take care of herself and her house is not very clean. It's not a good environment for a child to be in. I have a feeling I'd be sent over there every time she is alone with the baby, to babysit both of them realistically. I wish the child would be born earlier in the summer, so I could babysit some. Things get crazy when I'm in school and my aunt could use the babysitter. I'll probably end up caring for Dalton a lot, as well as looking after the kids if my mom picks them up for school or something. I'm hoping my aunt will move closer. She lives about thirty minutes away, which isn't too bad but she really needs to be closer to us because we help her so much and she is over here a bit.

I'm hoping that Dalton will handle the presents well, we'll just have to see. He is kind of the jealous type already, so we'll have to see.

I don't think she plans on giving her one of the DVDs. I think that was more idle thought than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care-o-Bear View Post
I'm sorry, I can't help with much. But random thing...it's 4D, just in case you were wondering. Congrats on the cousin, though! I'm the 3rd youngest of all my cousins and the 2 younger than me aren't enough younger that I remember them being babies. Sounds pretty exciting! Good luck!
I'm 16 and Dalton is my only cousin. I remember him being born. I do have second, third, etc. cousins but he is my only first cousin so this makes this extra exciting. 4D... wow. I can't wait to see it, stuff like that has always interested me.

--A
Closed Thread