TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ShotaPrince Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Max

Points: 7,215, Level: 12 Points: 7,215, Level: 12 Points: 7,215, Level: 12

Question Coming out as trans to my school? - June 10th 2013, 08:38 PM

After 2 years of obsessing over my gender, a few months ago, I came out to my dad, my school guidance counselor, and a handful of very good friends. I've been binding my chest, cut my hair, and started to wear boys clothing. So far everyone just assumes that I'm a really butch lesbian, but I'd like to be addressed as male and have my classmates know about my gender change. In the past I've been bullied a lot (mostly because people think that I'm lesbian or too shy) and I am REALLY REALLY shy with bad social anxiety. I feel like having more confidence in my body will make me a bit happier and open with people, and I can feel myself becoming more comfortable with myself already, but I wouldn't know how to come out to people. I was thinking about a Facebook status, since it is summer and I'm going to sleep away camp I'd like to let it sink in before school starts so I don't get instantly bullied. I was wondering if Facebook would be the right way to come out and what should I include in the status if I do? Thanks
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Coming out as trans to my school? - June 10th 2013, 08:52 PM

I don't know how far you are into school or what your school is like but I find schools to be a little brutal when it comes to orientation or gender. As you've said, you've been bullied a lot in the past and I think you coming out as trans at school will only enhance this. This isn't to put you off coming out as I understand this will make you feel far more comfortable, it's just how I view it. Overall it's your final decision and if you feel coming out at school regardless of potential bullying then go for it.

If you do decide you still want to come out at school you could try various ways, over Facebook like you said or you could even do it virally through asking your friends to help you out by spreading the word to their friends, and their friends spreading the word further though it'd be a matter of trust in this case.

Your idea does sound best though.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
jeepsndogs Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,347, Level: 11 Points: 6,347, Level: 11 Points: 6,347, Level: 11

Re: Coming out as trans to my school? - June 11th 2013, 06:28 PM

Hey there,

I know your idea of coming out through facebook sounds great and may prevent the bullying, but please be aware that you may come home to some nasty comments on your facebook and some discouraging words. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it isn't easy. I went through a similar situation, but I was no longer in high school, but I'm still very cautious when it comes to telling people at work and well, its not really full trans, its a mix, much more complicated.

Facebook sounds great to spread the word out the fastest, but please be aware that the bullying may be more increased. Make sure you build up a support network (which sounds like you already have) and be able to stand strong and find good coping mechanisms. Noticed I said good. High school is always rough, but once much easier once you get in to the real world.

I'm proud of you and keep up the awesome work!

It's time to begin, isn't it?
I get a little bit bigger, but then I'll admit
I'm just the same as I was
Now don't you understand
That I'm never changing who I am
Closed Thread