TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Davebth Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: David

Points: 7,398, Level: 12 Points: 7,398, Level: 12 Points: 7,398, Level: 12

I'm trans, and looking for answers. - November 23rd 2013, 04:55 AM

My name is David
I've lived my whole life as a male, and I've always identified as one, but recently I've been starting to want to be a female. I'm perfectly fine with my male body as of now, my genitalia doesn't bother me, and nothing else really bothers me, but if you told me right now I could become a girl, I would do it in an instant. I admire women and their beauty, and it makes me want to become a girl really badly. Are there any MtF trans people on here that can talk to me about this? It's something I want to research before I tell anyone about it, especially my family (mother), because the last time I talked to her about LGBT related stuff (me coming out as Bisexual), she got really mad at me and was trying to discourage me from it. It's not brought up much anymore, but I fear her reaction to me wanting to be a girl. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 13,394, Level: 16 Points: 13,394, Level: 16 Points: 13,394, Level: 16

Re: I'm trans, and looking for answers. - November 23rd 2013, 08:21 AM

There is a book called Shes Not There written by a MtF. I highly recommend it.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. I think if you read that book, it will help you understand better though.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Glitter Offline
Bedazzler of Balderdash
Not a n00b

Points: 6,398, Level: 11 Points: 6,398, Level: 11 Points: 6,398, Level: 11

Re: I'm trans, and looking for answers. - November 23rd 2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebth View Post
My name is David
I've lived my whole life as a male, and I've always identified as one, but recently I've been starting to want to be a female. I'm perfectly fine with my male body as of now, my genitalia doesn't bother me, and nothing else really bothers me, but if you told me right now I could become a girl, I would do it in an instant. I admire women and their beauty, and it makes me want to become a girl really badly. Are there any MtF trans people on here that can talk to me about this? It's something I want to research before I tell anyone about it, especially my family (mother), because the last time I talked to her about LGBT related stuff (me coming out as Bisexual), she got really mad at me and was trying to discourage me from it. It's not brought up much anymore, but I fear her reaction to me wanting to be a girl. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hii David!!

It's very natural and normal to fear people's reactions when coming out because these are important people in your life and what they think is important to you. Transgendered is a huge umbrella term and I am glad you are remaining honest and true to yourself with your feelings and thoughts as you try and research for answers. Most of those answers are going to come from within, but it's fantastic to get as much information as you can. Sometimes people call me "gender queer" (or whatever its called) but the truth is I am male and don't identify as transgender; I just beat to a different drum sometimes and don't take much stock into masculine/feminine roles/pressures. So obviously a transgendered person would be of more help to you if you had specific questions about your identity but you can feel free to pm me or message me anytime too if you don't find the answers you are looking for. Because I may not be transgender but I do have xperience with coming out and I am not a judgmental person!!

The first thing I could think of if you have trouble finding someone to answer your questions would be to do a google search for "transgender" and/or "transgender resources" if you don't live in an area close to a college or similar place that might have people you could talk to about your identity. There are thankfully quite a few information sites out there these days. I say colleges because a lot of them will have "gay straight alliances" or "triangle clubs" or other lgbt organizations with younger people who might be willing to answer your questions. Even if they arent in driving distance or if driving there is not an option you could try emailing them with your questions

Obviously you don't have to ask your specific questions here on the public forum if you don't feel comfortable using it for that but you are also welcome to do that too!! Wishing you merry best on your journey of self discovery!!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Davebth Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: David

Points: 7,398, Level: 12 Points: 7,398, Level: 12 Points: 7,398, Level: 12

Re: I'm trans, and looking for answers. - November 23rd 2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter View Post
Hii David!!

It's very natural and normal to fear people's reactions when coming out because these are important people in your life and what they think is important to you. Transgendered is a huge umbrella term and I am glad you are remaining honest and true to yourself with your feelings and thoughts as you try and research for answers. Most of those answers are going to come from within, but it's fantastic to get as much information as you can. Sometimes people call me "gender queer" (or whatever its called) but the truth is I am male and don't identify as transgender; I just beat to a different drum sometimes and don't take much stock into masculine/feminine roles/pressures. So obviously a transgendered person would be of more help to you if you had specific questions about your identity but you can feel free to pm me or message me anytime too if you don't find the answers you are looking for. Because I may not be transgender but I do have xperience with coming out and I am not a judgmental person!!

The first thing I could think of if you have trouble finding someone to answer your questions would be to do a google search for "transgender" and/or "transgender resources" if you don't live in an area close to a college or similar place that might have people you could talk to about your identity. There are thankfully quite a few information sites out there these days. I say colleges because a lot of them will have "gay straight alliances" or "triangle clubs" or other lgbt organizations with younger people who might be willing to answer your questions. Even if they arent in driving distance or if driving there is not an option you could try emailing them with your questions

Obviously you don't have to ask your specific questions here on the public forum if you don't feel comfortable using it for that but you are also welcome to do that too!! Wishing you merry best on your journey of self discovery!!
Thank you! I'm gonna look up some LGBT groups in my area and hopefully start from there!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: I'm trans, and looking for answers. - November 25th 2013, 06:24 AM

Hating your body isn't a pre-requisite to identifying as trans, really.

You don't need to pursue surgery and/or hormones and/or transition at all. The umbrella is huge and the only way to really get an appreciation for it is indeed to dive right into it; you can do so online, but in person certainly gives a better, stronger sense of what a binary-transcending personal and social consciousness could be like.

Some people find that general "LGBT" groups don't necessarily help them when it comes to exploring gender-identity specific issues. They may find pressure from the gay and lesbian identified folks in these settings to "stay a gay guy" or "stay a lesbian girl"... etc. Haven't experienced it personally, but heard it quite often; just FYI.

Good luck.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lamia Offline
Snake Goddess
Not a n00b

Name: Katherine

Points: 12,630, Level: 16 Points: 12,630, Level: 16 Points: 12,630, Level: 16

Re: I'm trans, and looking for answers. - November 25th 2013, 04:26 PM

Hey there David! To be honest, that's kind of how I felt my whole life. Not really unhappy with my body, but also I would have preferred a female body if I had the choice. It was only a little bit ago that it turned into more of a dissatisfaction with my body and a strong urge to transition. That might happen to you, it might not. Like Jackie said, there are a lot of different gender identities put under the umbrella term of "Transgender" so it wouldn't be a bad idea to investigate those. We have a Queer Dictionary here that you should definitely take a look at.

I wish you the best, if you want to talk more about this, you can always PM me.

-Kat

Buddy Since 5/12/13

Live Help Access Since 8/4/13

Chat Moderator Since 12/26/13

Videos Team Member since 1/11/14

PM me if you need anything at all ♥

Closed Thread