TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Unnameable

Points: 12,296, Level: 16 Points: 12,296, Level: 16 Points: 12,296, Level: 16

Post All you trans-teens =] - January 30th 2009, 06:49 PM

Hey there... Just wondering; How much (if any) abuse do/did you get from people at school? How accepting were the people there of you?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I've been here a while

Name: Brittney

Points: 21,441, Level: 21 Points: 21,441, Level: 21 Points: 21,441, Level: 21

Re: All you trans-teens =] - January 30th 2009, 06:55 PM

I'm not trans, but I know a few people who are. From what I've been told, and seen, they don't have too many problems. But I'm also in DC which is pretty liberal and accepting.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lost and Found Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ash

Points: 10,014, Level: 14 Points: 10,014, Level: 14 Points: 10,014, Level: 14

Re: All you trans-teens =] - January 30th 2009, 09:51 PM

I haven't gotten any myself just a few silly questions here and there. But I heard my MTF friend has trouble sometimes. I think it's mostly verbal though, but it still scares me, for her sake. She's got it pretty hard as it is and she doesn't need some ignorant jerk making it worse.

This isn't in school, but my cousin calls me a "she-he" and he does dumb stuff like that. But he's horribly immature and it's easy enough to ignore him or call him girl names all day until he shuts up, (I've tried reasoning, and it doesn't work). That's the worst I've gotten though. I'm sure there are people at school who talk about me but frankly I couldn't care less.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount84

Edit avatar

Re: All you trans-teens =] - January 31st 2009, 03:44 AM

Most people dont come out as trans at UK secondary school ages, I dont think. Often its just not something you are aware of, so I think a lot of trans teens, if they aren't out, will often get homophobia instead. Like a feminine male bodied person, or even someone in the early stages of transitioning (so maybe part time), would be percived by 14 and 15 year olds as a gay. And transmen are mistaken for lesbians all their life, unless they pass very well, which often can only be so much without T.

But homophobic bullying can be very similar to transphobic bullying, infact the two basically are interlinked. Percieved gays, or people with obvious gender variant behaviour (trans or not, so like tomboys), get picked on for things. Like being a percieved lesbian means you 'want to be a man'.

Anyway, I personally was given a lot of crap since I first started presenting as male, but not identifying as it. So basically I didnt look like a girl, but I was open that I was. This lead to terms like 'shim', 'he/she', 'sheman', 'shemale', and such like, being frequently and consistantly, and unpleasantly.

My boyfriend got a lot of similar crap. My best friend got it from his apparent lesbianism.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Hero_Of_Blade Offline
Flawed Shadow
Average Joe

Name: Autumn

Points: 10,549, Level: 14 Points: 10,549, Level: 14 Points: 10,549, Level: 14

Re: All you trans-teens =] - February 4th 2009, 03:56 PM

I suppose for me, it wasn't too bad.
I only ever told my friends and they respected that I wasn't ready to tell the general public of my school.. seeing as I had already gotten a lot of abuse for different stuff

In the end I came out nearer the end of my school years, even though I knew for longer.

but as invert says the bullying types overlap and I did get bullied a lot for being more feminine than any of the other male students.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Unnameable

Points: 12,296, Level: 16 Points: 12,296, Level: 16 Points: 12,296, Level: 16

Re: All you trans-teens =] - February 4th 2009, 04:56 PM

I'll agree with the overlapping jazz; I get comments hurled at me whenever I leave a classroom which does tend to get frustrating... just stupid ignorance I guess.

But then I guess I do make myself quite obvious, but I feel I'd be lying to myself if I acted any other way.

Thankyou for all of your responses so far though, it's been good to get an idea of what other people do or don't go through =]
Closed Thread