TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
Dealing with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)
by TeenHelp November 8th 2023, 03:22 PM

• Stick to the same sleep schedule. If you woke up at 7 am during the summer months, try not to sleep in for longer in winter; this includes weekends. Place your alarm clock further away so that you are not tempted to hit the snooze button.
  • Stay connected with friends and family, and plan get togethers. Consider joining a support group, as sharing your experiences and learning about what others find helpful can be very beneficial.
  • Spend time out of the house, and make use of the natural daylight. For example, if you drink a hot beverage in the morning, take a trip to your local coffee shop. This will also encourage you to interact with people.
  • Watch what you eat. Avoid consuming foods and drinks that contain simple carbohydrates, such as biscuits, candy, jam and soda. This causes the blood sugar level to rise rapidly, which triggers the secretion of insulin and leads to a "sugar crash".
  • Try not to let chores build up. Tackling a small amount every day will be easier than being overwhelmed by tasks that have accumulated over time.
Views 953 Comments 3
Total Comments 3

Comments

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: Dealing with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) - November 8th 2023, 06:57 PM

For me number 3 is especially important. Even going to a coffee shop can be a reason to get out of bed, get dressed, put on some make-up if one likes etc. This makes me feel much more refreshed and motivated than when I stay in pajamas all day

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Katiebug88 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

Points: 573, Level: 3 Points: 573, Level: 3 Points: 573, Level: 3

Re: Dealing with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) - November 9th 2023, 01:18 AM

These are great. My light therapy box helps me a lot too. I actually used it for the first time (this season) today
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Dealing with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) - December 11th 2023, 01:17 AM

Moving to the tropics is the best cure.