TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jiggi Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,273, Level: 14 Points: 10,273, Level: 14 Points: 10,273, Level: 14

dating a guy with a baby - October 4th 2012, 05:55 PM

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place

I've recently started dating someone, and we've clicked so perfectly, we can both see a future together. The thing is, he's 20 and has a one year old daughter. In theory, I'm fine with it, I know she will always come first, and always be a part of his life. He's been broken up with the mother since before the little one was born. He's a good dad, and it's lovely to see.

I've never really been around children, but I met her this week, and I've helped look after her, and bonded a little bit. It's all been quite nice.
Then it all suddenly became overwhelming. I guess the reality of it hit me. I'm not even entirely sure what the problem is. it's just suddenly very hard to deal with. I really need to get past this, if I do spend my life with this guy, then I will always have his child there too.
Has anyone got any advice on how to deal? Or has anyone been through it? How long did it take you to adjust to there being a child involved?

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: dating a guy with a baby - October 4th 2012, 06:46 PM

Thank for you reaching out!

I can't imagine what it's like to date someone who has a child. I, myself, have never been put in that position, but it's great that you recognize that his child is going to come first, and that she'll always be a part of his life no matter what.

It's not going to be easy, that's for sure, but there is no added pressure on you to do anything. Yes, if you're going to be a part of his life, then you are going to be a part of her's as well. But, that doesn't mean you need to take on all the added responsibilities of "mommy". You can be there for her as a friend, a sister, or a mother if it's preferred.

The relationship is still new, and it IS going to take some time to get used too. Maybe talk to your boyfriend about this. Explain how you feel, and he can help you along the way.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
Closed Thread