TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lovatic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,788, Level: 12 Points: 6,788, Level: 12 Points: 6,788, Level: 12

Christian girl dating Muslim guy? - November 21st 2012, 11:06 AM

hey!

so I'm a Christian girl and I have a crush on a guy who's Muslim. I've liked him for almost 2 years now and we are friends. Honestly, I don't think he likes me in that way but I always wonder if anything was to happen between us, would the different religions be an issue in the relationship? I'm not religious or anything but at the same time I wouldn't convert religions just for a guy and I know he wouldn't do it for me. It kinda also gets me a little worried what my family would say if they found out I like this Muslim guy...
I've tried to "stop liking him" but it is easier said then done!!

Any advice would be much appreciated
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Christian girl dating Muslim guy? - November 21st 2012, 07:42 PM

Wait, you said you're a Christian but then said you aren't religious. Could you clarify that for me?
In regards to your question though, it definitely is possible to make it work out even if you have different religions. The important thing would be to keep an open mind about each other's opinions (you're going to disagree on topics with people anyway). It might be best to try and limit the talk about religion if possible too, just to avoid any arguments that might arise.
If you get along well as friends, then that's a pretty good sign that you could get along in a relationship as well. After all, both types of relationships are pretty similar, one just has a romantic side to it.
You should have a talk with him and tell him how you feel. That's the only way you can find out if he feels the same and would consider getting into a relationship. It can be tough to reveal your feelings, but if he feels the same it would definitely be worth it. Its better to know and be able to start moving on then to be stuck wondering as well.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Cody Lawrence Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cody

Points: 10,220, Level: 14 Points: 10,220, Level: 14 Points: 10,220, Level: 14

Re: Christian girl dating Muslim guy? - November 22nd 2012, 04:35 AM

Nicole couldn't have said it any better. My girlfriend of 2 and a half years and I are always arguing over what our future kids will be like. She's Catholic and I'm Christian. Even though there isn't much of a difference between the two, there are some things her parents did to her as a baby, like being baptized, that wasn't done to me. You have to find a common ground somewhere though. I'm sure you can see through religion to be able to co-exist with each other as a happy couple.

"You don't need a reason to help people"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
lovatic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,788, Level: 12 Points: 6,788, Level: 12 Points: 6,788, Level: 12

Re: Christian girl dating Muslim guy? - November 22nd 2012, 08:24 AM

Thankyou both for your replies! It's actually helped me alot when I said I'm Christian but not religious, I meant that I'm from a Christian family but I myself don't really go to church etc...

thanks again
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
alexandrish Offline
quirky and curious
Not a n00b

Name: iris

Points: 9,045, Level: 13 Points: 9,045, Level: 13 Points: 9,045, Level: 13

Re: Christian girl dating Muslim guy? - November 23rd 2012, 04:02 AM

hello.. I will try to answer from muslim point of view..
depends on the guy(and how religious his family is) I think it will be hard.. since muslim is and old fashion family especially if the guy from a very religious family... it will be unforgivable to be with someone that isn't muslim
well it's a matter of how you convince that guy....

[COLOR="rgb(72, 209, 204)"]

"Love me or hate me, both are in my favor…If you love me, I'll always be in your heart…If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind."
— William Shakespeare
[/color]
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Christian girl dating Muslim guy? - November 23rd 2012, 03:23 PM

I think it is very possible to date someone of a different faith to you as long as you are both open minded to each others beliefs. I think that there should never be an expectation to convert, ever.
However, like the poster said above me, to a lot of traditional families it would be extremely difficult to accept their child dating someone outside of the faith.
You wouldn't really know if it is something that would be a problem until you a guys actually got together. But religious/moral/cultural variances will either be a problem or they won't, it really depends WHAT the variances are.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread