TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Gift ideas for my girlfriend? - December 4th 2012, 04:28 AM

So, I'm back into the whole relationship type thingo, and it's been a few years since I've shopped or given someone I actually care about something. Buying for my family members is easy enough, because I can buy my parents novelty presents that act as a symbol of another year passing and them getting older (e.g. last year, I bought dad a toy construction set, and mum a 'My Little Pony' toy). However, I can't continue the same tradition with my girlfriend, because she's 16 and the age gap between us (3 years and 11 months) combined with a present that is satyrical or joking would belittle her worries about the age gap and demean her. So, that's out of the picture.

Basically, I want to buy her something mature. In fact, this year, I've bought something mature for every person in my family, but I can't seem to find one for her. I kinda feel like she has everything she needs...

But anyway, she's a big fan of One Direction and Justin Bieber (not joking). She used to have posters of both of them on her walls, but since we started dating, she's pulled them down and has become less interested in them both. Even then, she has a bunch of CDs and DVDs from both.
She's also a big fan of Skins (UK), but she kinda has all of the seasons - so there goes that idea. A Skins poster would be great, but I can't buy stuff online (severe lack of credit), and no shops in Australia seem to stock them.
She likes Vampire Diaries, but again, has everything to do with it.
She's a budding photographer, and she begged her parents to buy her an SLR camera after her compact Olympus (worth around $500) got wet while she was crossing a river. Unfortunately, I don't have $1000 to splurge on an SLR, and her Olympus still works (she just doesn't like to admit it). I thought about a waterproof case for it, as a joke, but then decided that it just doesn't seem to be worth it.
She recently got her belly button pierced (or whatever piercing that is), but I don't know whether or not to buy her a new bar for it or whatever it is they call them (I'm useless at piercings). Is that a good idea?
I've also thought about books, because she likes to read, and I got her into Perks of Being a Wallflower. I want to buy her that, but since the movie was released in Australia, there's literally not a copy within a 150km radius of me.
She started reading 50 Shades of Grey, much to her dad's displeasure. I thought about buying the box set, seeing as she was reading it online, but I don't want to get in her dad's bad books.
I thought about taking her out somewhere, but if I do, I have to have her back at her house by a particular time, and everything I want to do requires accomodation (I'm seriously not going hiking 5 hours away or bike riding 6 hours away and having to drive up and back in one day - I'd rather camp, but that doesn't seem to be a viable option). Everything that can be done locally, we've done.

So, I'm a symbol for screwed. Does anyone have any idea at all? I'm open to everything!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16

Re: Gift ideas for my girlfriend? - December 4th 2012, 05:24 AM

Hey Mitch!

It seems you're in quite a hard area. Sometimes, you just have to adhere to the KISS method. (Keep it Simple Stupid)

How 'bout a Dinner date and a necklace? Or any type of jewelry at that. Or how 'bout a gift card somewhere? Might seem stupid, but if you give her a gift card to somewhere she likes to shop (Girl shop like purfumes, body soaps, etc.) She can buy exactly what she wants.

Hope this helps!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Delicious Chaos Offline
Average Joe

Points: 9,344, Level: 14 Points: 9,344, Level: 14 Points: 9,344, Level: 14

Re: Gift ideas for my girlfriend? - December 4th 2012, 05:32 AM

I was thinking maybe you could get her a necklace or earrings or something like that. For a girl you could never go wrong with jewelry. you could get her earrings or belly button rings.

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
- Michael Jordan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
- John Wooden
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Re: Gift ideas for my girlfriend? - December 4th 2012, 07:31 AM

Well, I thought about jewellery. But I bought her jewellery last month for her birthday. It was a necklace anyway, and she doesn't wear earings. She doesn't like anklets, and she has enough bracelets/bangles to last her a life time. The necklace was more cultural from me than anything.

As for the gift voucher/card, I'd kinda feel cheap doing that.

I'm also already taking her out to dinner, but I just want something/a few things more just to not feel like I'm not giving anything. I want something that lasts and shows that I actually pay attention to her interests and all that jazz.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20

Re: Gift ideas for my girlfriend? - December 13th 2012, 04:51 AM

Hm, I'm not sure what I can suggest as far as what plays into her interests (given the information you provided), but perhaps you can let your attention to her interests come out in other ways? It of course feels wonderful when your partner acknowledges them, especially when it comes to gift giving, but given that everything seems either out of your price range or is inaccessible, maybe the best thing to do would be to let your knowledge of her interests happen randomly. Since they're interests, the opportunity can, does, and probably will come up, so I'd take advantage of that another time.

As far as Christmas goes, along the lines of a gift card, why not use the gift card idea but personalise it? As opposed to giving her a gift card to, say, a woman's body shop, write a coupon saying it's good for a bottle of lotion/perfume/bubbles/whatever with a scent you choose together. As opposed to a gift card to a theatre, buy two cinema tickets/gift card worth that amount and say it's good for one movie date, any film she chooses and you can't protest. I'm not sure how sentimental she is, but I have always loved receiving gifts that spoil me in the form of attention and time spent with my partner. It's also interesting when those dates involve a spin on something you might have done a hundred times. For example, a silly example (I'm tired, give me a break) might be seeing who can find the most shells or the smoothest rocks on a beach trail you take once a week. Find ways to spice up old places and surprise her that way.

Little homemade things are also great. Something like a homemade card, in my opinion, goes a lot farther than a bought one, or if it's bought, use the card to capture her interests! FInd a Bieber card or something. But maybe do something nice for her before dinner. Or maybe after dinner, you can come back to yours and do dessert? I don't mean go all candles and music and massage oils on her (unless that's your thing, haha), but maybe set up a picnic blanket in a nice park or somewhere nice in your area or even in the backyard, maybe go old school with a boombox and some good music, and have dessert under the stars. But again, that might depend on how sentimental the person. However, I typically think that someone putting effort into a nice date, especially for a holiday, is well-received. A gift idea could be something silly like mistletoe and something serious like a bellybutton ring.

You say she's a photographer, so what about a scrapbook particularly for memories of you two? Or maybe even get her one of those photoframes with room for a few different photos and couple it with a trip to somewhere of her choice (within reasonable distance). Is there somewhere nice you could go within 2-3 hours drive/travel time? Maybe you can get her a frame and tell her it's for a special couples' photoshoot on a special day you two plan together or that you plan separately and surprise her with it. As you can tell, I'm more for sentimental ideas than material, but especially if she's got a lot of the material things already, maybe getting creative is the way to go.

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

Closed Thread